Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hang on a minute - in an In The Bathroom with C Moran (the first ones she did with her 6 years ago) didn't they both agree that women who won't leave the house without makeup have mental health problems? Please tell me I'm not imagining this? I remember as I still liked her at the time and so was quite shocked. I'm fairly sure people commented about it. I'll go and check. Report back soon.......

Mm interesting. Comments turned off for those videos -but not on other ITB. I don't have time to watch them now but will. Can't remember if the comments were in the first or second part. I think several people had commented as they didn't like them saying that.
There is again a privilege element to this. It is a lot easier to leave the house with no makeup if you are having any or all of the following: regular facials, top shelf skincare, microbladed brows, eyelash dyed/extensions/lift, etc etc. And that’s before you get into any expensive tweakments.

Reactions: 20
The sad thing about it is that the influencers get the stuff they are parading for free. They then set about getting others to buy it (whether they can afford it or need it) in order that they (the influencer) may continue receiving goods and services for free. They are influencing people who are at home during the day such as unemployed, long term ill etc. It is cruel. These people then end up having to go onto debt help sites/the CAB to help them to get out of the mess the influencers have manipulated them into. This is particularly so in the case of the makeup/skincare influencers because they trade on people's insecurity about their appearance.
Exactly, this is very much what has caused yhe current boom in mlm marketing whcih is effectively the same thing ij a more extreme way

Reactions: 5
The sad thing about it is that the influencers get the stuff they are parading for free. They then set about getting others to buy it (whether they can afford it or need it) in order that they (the influencer) may continue receiving goods and services for free. They are influencing people who are at home during the day such as unemployed, long term ill etc. It is cruel. These people then end up having to go onto debt help sites/the CAB to help them to get out of the mess the influencers have manipulated them into. This is particularly so in the case of the makeup/skincare influencers because they trade on people's insecurity about their appearance.
Yes! That is the paradox of influencing. “Let me sell you this expensive thing you don’t need and can’t afford, that was given to me for free even though I can easily afford it.”

• Heart
Reactions: 16
There is again a privilege element to this. It is a lot easier to leave the house with no makeup if you are having any or all of the following: regular facials, top shelf skincare, microbladed brows, eyelash dyed/extensions/lift, etc etc. And that’s before you get into any expensive tweakments.
this is what pisses me off most tbh... choose yoyr stupid opinions and at least stick to them

Reactions: 4
Exactly, this is very much what has caused yhe current boom in mlm marketing whcih is effectively the same thing ij a more extreme way
Exactly. MLM marketing is another of my pet hates. It falls just short of being a Ponzi scheme by the fact that they have got some overpriced crappy product at the end of it. It appeals to those who are at home for whatever circumstances, and are in fact among the most vulnerable in society. Those who are recruited end up alienating their family and friends by pressurising themselves to buy the stuff. It's another case of those higher up the chain making a good living while those at the bottom are providing it for them.

Reactions: 6
Screenshot of her website biog from 2010 (WaybackMachine). I guess the 'novel' either was binned, or rewritten following publisher advice as the rather throwaway, long opinion piece 'Pretty Honest'.

woop.PNG

Reactions: 1
I looked at assistant Lauren's instagram. In all of her selfies she's wearing the expression of someone who has just smelled a really rotten fart.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think it said in the introduction to a Red chat that the novel was called "Falling and laughing". Is SH a major Orange Juice fan? She's probably a Postcard records completist too, has been for years .

I think it said in the introduction to a Red chat that the novel was called "Falling and laughing". Is SH a major Orange Juice fan? She's probably a Postcard records completist too, has been for years .
Which reminds me of this song which pops inyo my head whenever SH does her "I have long thought" or "used it for years".
"All the Velvet Underground records...on tape"

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
"...frankly [makeup wearing] is polite [for others]" from the grazia column, I can't quite articulate why this is unnerving to me. Just seems a very male-gaze perspective to focus on, like when random men tell women to smile at them to be polite.
I mentioned on an earlier thread that a few years I went to a panel discussion on aging at Selfridges with SH, India Knight, Caroline Hirons and Pearl Lowe. I can't remember the context but at one point SH said something along the lines of 'I wouldn't bother with make-up if it wasn't for men'.

The whole room seemed momentarily stunned into silence. The other panelists gave SH a 'really??' sort of look and she seemed a little embarrassed. It wasn't talked about and the discussion moved on.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I mentioned on an earlier thread that a few years I went to a panel discussion on aging at Selfridges with SH, India Knight, Caroline Hirons and Pearl Lowe. I can't remember the context but at one point SH said something along the lines of 'I wouldn't bother with make-up if it wasn't for men'.

The whole room seemed momentarily stunned into silence. The other panelists gave SH a 'really??' sort of look and she seemed a little embarrassed. It wasn't talked about and the discussion moved on.
Sounds like she had one of her occasional glitches.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Sigh. Feminism my arse. It really is just a brand to a lot of them, isn't it? Literally just a t-shirt. I'm fed up of this wishy washy choosy-choicey version of feminism where everything is "empowering". I wear make-up and I don't beat myself up over it but it's not a feminist choice and I'm able to recognise that without the world ending.

Feminism should challenge you all the time, make you question yourself and the world around you. It isn't a cosy club and a logo you can slap onto everything. I don't think the suffragettes' "ballsy attitude" was enhanced by rocking a red lip when they were being kicked to the ground by policemen and having tubes stuffed down their throats in prison (although I'm sure the indestructible Ruby Woo would've helped).

I propose that we stop being "polite" to other people and do Movember with the menz. Come on, let's rock those taches!
I love this post so hard. I've been feeling this for ages, but it's not something you can state without being accused of betraying the sisterhood. I think the prevailing attitude of "whatever I choose to do is fEmINism so stfu" is both intellectually lazy and lazy in practice, as well as insulting to the original cause. Now get off my lawn

• Heart
Reactions: 13
When SH says boastfully that she remembers the shampoo of her childhood and makeup she wore as a teen or whatever, as though it were a ... qualification, isn't that just normal? I mean, I remember all that stuff. The hideous smell of Revlon Flex shampoo, the mist in the morning light from my mother's generous use of VO5 hairspray, my nan's 4711 EDT (and the tic tacs perennially in her purse), the gold Bourjois eyeshadow I wore to my school formal, the Clairol Glint shade I used to dye my hair burgundy ... normal right? Not evidence of some special talent you were born with

😳🧐😳

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
She looks absolutely miserable in every shot. Makes for a weird looking Instagram when it's a series of shots of a sulky looking woman wearing too much makeup
I actually like Lauren's look. Liquid eyeliner and no or nude lipstick is by default look if I wear make up (though not as thick a line for daytime now as it doesn't look good at my age). I like her hair. It's a fab colour and looks healthy and thick. She looked ace in a clip wearing a beret she has up. I also think she is a natural beauty.

When SH says boastfully that she remembers the shampoo of her childhood and makeup she wore as a teen or whatever, as though it were a ... qualification, isn't that just normal? I mean, I remember all that stuff. The hideous smell of Revlon Flex shampoo, the mist in the morning light from my mother's generous use of VO5 hairspray, my nan's 4711 EDT (and the tic tacs perennially in her purse), the gold Bourjois eyeshadow I wore to my school formal, the Clairol Glint shade I used to dye my hair burgundy ... normal right? Not evidence of some special talent you were born with

😳🧐😳
Yeah it's like those crap facebook accounts I ❤ 80s. Lazy tit nostalgia. But people love itvand lap itbup because they can go " oh me too. We had that" and feel special and noticed. "We used to have Miss Matey...on tape".
Meaningless tit to form a bond over. Whatbdoes Stewart Lee say? "Do you remember stuff? I remember stuff?"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.