Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yet she likes to view herself as a "woman's woman". This thread is a laundry list of her being anything but
Exactly. The Lauren Luke episode is, for me, all the evidence I need. I am inclined to think that someone like SH who left the family home in Wales at 15 to live with an adult boyfriend in London is someone who will be, as an adult, very resilient, and not averse to walking all over anyone who is in her way. A hard case or tough nut, but hiding behind a feminist facade.

Journalists, and writers at large have to have that elusive modern phenomenon, ideas. These come from engaging with the world around you and reflecting on its situation. The trouble with columnism journalism today is that it's a pop-up shop for shouting your opinion which seems to have become such a feature of the world recently. For instance, Vox pops about B****t (sorry!!) have been appalling us for the last 3 years for the tired, unimaginative ways in which meaningless empty drivel is spouted but boy, do those people want us TO KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. I really listen out for any actual content in vox pops and very rarely is there much that's meaningful. That's like Sali's writing. How many times ahs she said those things?! it's just Vox pops VERY LOUDLY TILL WE GET IT, 'MMKKKAY? (Sorry, I'm a sceptical skidder about public intelligence.). Good writing should inform, educate or entertain. Poor, lazy, repetitive opinion is none of these things. It's just shouting , just another version of Speakers' Corner. (Does that even still exist?) Populated by the same loons, self-appointed experts and end-of-the-worlders it always was. Difference is, now people can get paid for it. I was never much of a one for monthly mags or instagram influencers at large but I did used to have respect for The Guardian which, because of how its owned and funded, has a credible claim to the kind of intelligence I want in my public journalism. It's easy to have opinions, just ask anyone ever interviewed for a vox pop on Brexit. But to have actual ideas and the ability to critique is significantly tougher and apparently beyond SH if Mselvista's Vogue quotation is anything to go by.
I think a problem for journalists nowadays is having to produce copy much quicker due to online news. There isn't a lot of time for reflection. With print newspapers, the reader will buy their paper of choice, read it and that's it. With online papers, readers are able to switch from newspaper to newspaper within seconds and journalists have to attract them and keep their attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Not so long ago (a week or so?), someone posted an article by Sali in which she stated that she went to fashion college. I was surprised by that as I don’t remember seeing her mention it before. Nowhere in either of those two articles just posted at the end of the last thread does she mention fashion college. Is this yet another fabrication?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Exactly. The Lauren Luke episode is, for me, all the evidence I need. I am inclined to think that someone like SH who left the family home in Wales at 15 to live with an adult boyfriend in London is someone who will be, as an adult, very resilient, and not averse to walking all over anyone who is in her way. A hard case or tough nut, but hiding behind a feminist facade.

I think a problem for journalists nowadays is having to produce copy much quicker due to online news. There isn't a lot of time for reflection. With print newspapers, the reader will buy their paper of choice, read it and that's it. With online papers, readers are able to switch from newspaper to newspaper within seconds and journalists have to attract them and keep their attention.
Absolutely fair enough but I don't think that's an excuse for poorly thought out ideas or repetitive rehashing of old ones. Good writing should be marked by the ability to think quickly *and* profoundly and express it with flair and wit like say Alistair Cooke could, writing 2000 words once a week on American Politics like he used to.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Second sentence of her Insanity bio says she's a former magazine editor. Which magazine?

Pretty cheeky having it that high up if you fail to even name it

Second sentence of her Insanity bio says she's a former magazine editor. Which magazine?

Pretty cheeky having it that high up if you fail to even name it
Did someone elsewhere say 'Loaded'? I might be very wrong here.

Absolutely fair enough but I don't think that's an excuse for poorly thought out ideas or repetitive rehashing of old ones. Good writing should be marked by the ability to think quickly *and* profoundly and express it with flair and wit like say Alistair Cooke could, writing 2000 words once a week on American Politics like he used to.
There's a world of difference between the likes of the legendary Alistair Cooke and SH. I agree with your comment on being able to think quickly, but nowadays there seems to be an emphasis on employing writers who have a sizeable social media following ,rather than using those who are genuine qualified experts in their field and can think on their feet.

Reactions: 1
Journalists, and writers at large have to have that elusive modern phenomenon, ideas. These come from engaging with the world around you and reflecting on its situation. The trouble with columnism journalism today is that it's a pop-up shop for shouting your opinion which seems to have become such a feature of the world recently. For instance, Vox pops about B****t (sorry!!) have been appalling us for the last 3 years for the tired, unimaginative ways in which meaningless empty drivel is spouted but boy, do those people want us TO KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. I really listen out for any actual content in vox pops and very rarely is there much that's meaningful. That's like Sali's writing. How many times ahs she said those things?! it's just Vox pops VERY LOUDLY TILL WE GET IT, 'MMKKKAY? (Sorry, I'm a sceptical skidder about public intelligence.). Good writing should inform, educate or entertain. Poor, lazy, repetitive opinion is none of these things. It's just shouting , just another version of Speakers' Corner. (Does that even still exist?) Populated by the same loons, self-appointed experts and end-of-the-worlders it always was. Difference is, now people can get paid for it. I was never much of a one for monthly mags or instagram influencers at large but I did used to have respect for The Guardian which, because of how its owned and funded, has a credible claim to the kind of intelligence I want in my public journalism. It's easy to have opinions, just ask anyone ever interviewed for a vox pop on Brexit. But to have actual ideas and the ability to critique is significantly tougher and apparently beyond SH if Mselvista's Vogue quotation is anything to go by.
So well put. It made me think of a journalist like Giles Coren, who very often I don't agree with at all, but (imo) writes well and is often thought provoking. I like the fact he doesn't particularly want to be liked - and also can take criticism. I don't believe he wants to live in an echo-chamber, unlike SH it would seem.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@Originalnuttah i like the New York Times and The Times. Neither are perfect but they sort of serve their purpose!

The New Statesman podcast.

In The Guardian I like Marina Hyde and Jess Cartner-Morley (for different reasons)

Next writer I want to explore is Vicky Ward as she is a woman, she investigates and goes against the grain, she’s been editor of vanity fair which suggests some glamour and intrigue and she has a few books. She might be awful - I have no idea! But what I know of her sounds promising.

I’d like to find and champion some female writers who are writing with substance in a way I like. I know there must be plenty but in a normal busy day it’s quite hard to research. This is one reason I am so offended by the fashion for really trite and boring yawn pieces - they surely must be eclipsing the good stuff and giving the feminist cause a bad name in the process!

I know it’s not their fault and it’s a flaw in the system and so on and so on.... but I am who I am and I think what I think 🤷‍♀️😂.

Reactions: 7
Not so long ago (a week or so?), someone posted an article by Sali in which she stated that she went to fashion college. I was surprised by that as I don’t remember seeing her mention it before. Nowhere in either of those two articles just posted at the end of the last thread does she mention fashion college. Is this yet another fabrication?
Someone should challenge her as to which fashion college she attended. I know she wrote a book about the use of colour blocking in the Queen's wardrobe. The Queen's wardrobe is more adequately discussed in two books by the Queen's dresser, Angela Kelly who in fact creates the outfits, rather than Sali Hughes. A cursory look at the Amazon reviews for SH's book produced a two star review by 'the cat's mother' who provided a list of basic mistakes throughout SH's effort and said the book was a lazy way of making money.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Someone should challenge her as to which fashion college she attended. I know she wrote a book about the use of colour blocking in the Queen's wardrobe. The Queen's wardrobe is more adequately discussed in two books by the Queen's dresser, Angela Kelly who in fact creates the outfits, rather than Sali Hughes. A cursory look at the Amazon reviews for SH's book produced a two star review by 'the cat's mother' who provided a list of basic mistakes throughout SH's effort and said the book was a lazy way of making money.
Obviously only a skidmark would write a review like that

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Luckily for her, she's not a journalist and her copy is copy/paste.

• Heart
Do any of you watch Michelle Phan? At the risk of sending anyone rushing to SpaceNK to stock up on Chantecaille...

This video is such a good example of decent content. She states upfront that the makeup is PR and goes on to give a very thorough demo with both wet and dry swatches of every single shade both on her arm and her eyes. She then edits in a little clip to explain how her view changed after more use. She gives application tips and practical info.

Reactions: 5
I love watching her! Although she almost exclusively uses high end brands, and most of it I'd never afford, she's a joy to watch.
P.S. It's Michele Wang

Do any of you watch Michelle Phan? At the risk of sending anyone rushing to SpaceNK to stock up on Chantecaille...

This video is such a good example of decent content. She states upfront that the makeup is PR and goes on to give a very thorough demo with both wet and dry swatches of every single shade both on her arm and her eyes. She then edits in a little clip to explain how her view changed after more use. She gives application tips and practical info.

I have no real interest in makeup, but she makes me want to buy all the things 😁

• Haha
There's a world of difference between the likes of the legendary Alistair Cooke and SH. I agree with your comment on being able to think quickly, but nowadays there seems to be an emphasis on employing writers who have a sizeable social media following ,rather than using those who are genuine qualified experts in their field and can think on their feet.

Agreee; it's phenomena like this that make wonder if I'm just getting old or if the world is actually dumber than it used to be. which is, you know, what old people say. But there will always be a place for quality writing; but insta-influencer written ain't it. nor are columns or opinion pieces affected by editors in search of reflex-driven populist readership because NOTHING IS PUBLICALLY FUNDED ANY MORE.
#guess how I'm voting.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Not at all @melfish . I don't consider her a journalist. She writes opinion columns but appears to have the what one might expect to be a disadvantage in that she only has about 10 opinions.

From a recent Vogue piece on lipstick
Need to catch up with thread but compare and contrast with an article which is at least 8 years old

Oh, wow. SH went university while working at Gap.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I understand Lauren has Film Studies degree. I presume she has some training as a makeup artist though maybe not formal. I thought I'd seen her doing backstage st LFW which Insuppose could hsve been via her day job at Bobbi Brown.
Sali said in an atticke I shared on last thread thst she went to fsshion college but I have not seen anything about it elsewhere.
She worked at bobbi brown and trained with or under pixiwoo... that being said her liquid eyeliner always looks a bit ropey. Using Sali's seconds?

In the interest of balance I am sure I watched an ‘In the bathroom with...’ where she said she had some sort of journalism qualification or diploma - not entirely sure what type or where from etc.... very deep research.
Yeah she does always say she got v lucky, and that she doesn't recommend her route. (Cringing at the way she calls herself jailbait though - not especially feminist is it?)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.