Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she also uses the whole “beauty is not unimportant just because it’s a women’s interest subject” to bolster this idea she’s a journalist. As in, she’s not “just” a writer because she writes about beauty. So then all the lemmings carry the torch of “just because she writes about beauty doesn’t mean she’s not a journalist!” And well, no she’s not a journalist, but it’s not because she writes about beauty.

I haven’t explained that very well..
I loved her recent Guardian long read on trafficking, modern slavery and high street nail bars in the wake of the recent tragedy on the UK.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
When she complains in the Video that people on Tattler life are trying to make her lose her job, that is pure projection. She knows how fragile the position is, because she shafted someone from it herself with that disgraceful twitter campaign. And her "journalist" credentials now rest on it. Otherwise there's nothing much to set her aside from other influencers, is there?

Julia was the woman who was flat sharing with S's adult boyfriend, when she was a runaway child. And she hooked her up with gigs and career connections. Honestly, it seems ridiculous that all this is viewed as flippant, a teenage kid, runs away to England to live with an adult lover and her uncle, a woman in the house etc think "oh okay". Ditto all these bits and pieces seem so contradictory and far fetched.
Ah, OK. I got it arse up. Ignore me

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I wonder if the unqualified accusation particularly irks her these days? I noticed on her video the fact that her colleague was labelled unqualified amongst other things bothered her. At the risk of sounding like Carrie Bradshaw - 'and so I got to thinking, these days what does it actually mean to be 'qualified' or an 'expert'?

Btw wasn't Carrie Bradshaw a 'journalist'? Writing one column a week about something she proclaimed herself an expert in? With a sassy group of girlfriends? :unsure:
I understand Lauren has Film Studies degree. I presume she has some training as a makeup artist though maybe not formal. I thought I'd seen her doing backstage st LFW which Insuppose could hsve been via her day job at Bobbi Brown.
Sali said in an atticke I shared on last thread thst she went to fsshion college but I have not seen anything about it elsewhere.

Reactions: 1
When she complains in the Video that people on Tattler life are trying to make her lose her job, that is pure projection. She knows how fragile the position is, because she shafted someone from it herself with that disgraceful twitter campaign. And her "journalist" credentials now rest on it. Otherwise there's nothing much to set her aside from other influencers, is there?

Ah, OK. I got it arse up. Ignore me
Totally. Didn't she open the video with something like it had been brought to her attention there were a group of women who 'hate me and want me to lose my job'. Er no. And er No.
Even the most casual glance before her video (comments after that did change tone eg finding all her bullying tweets etc) could show people were just bored and fed up with her content. There were numerous comments about how they wished she would write like she used to, when a lot of us enjoyed her output and found her engaging and interesting, and hoped she would find that groove again. It was more disappointment than anything. But I suppose to open the video with 'a group of mostly former fans are now disappointed and disillusioned with me' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Journalism clearly becoming a lost art, with a lot of these columnists taking liberties with the meaning of the term! The lines are very blurred, and you've got to wonder how much the casual readers can actually discern between real journalism vs "piffle" (amazing word by the way!)
I like this a lot and welcome to a friendly place ( unless one’s here to shitstir ), we’re a nice crowd 😁

Reactions: 5
I like this a lot and welcome to a friendly place ( unless one’s here to shitstir ), we’re a nice crowd 😁
Thank you very much. One's definitely not a tit stirrer, or Alice in disguise... But rather an Instagram echo chamber escapee who is happy to find some sanity outside of SM. A friend of mine introduced me to SH and I have even had a personal interaction with her which wasn't unpleasant, but have always found something not quite right with her attitude and "brand". I suspect I'm not her target audience (who is?) anyway. I don't have twitter, and had not heard of other unsavoury tales so to have my instincts put into context has really opened my eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It also chimes with the behaviour of someone whose IG follower count mysteriously jumped by 11,000 the week before.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
(Get the gloss)
'I got the Guardian beauty column entirely by accident when the editor of the paper, for whom I already wrote for a great deal, saw me tweeting my girlfriends that the Weekend beauty page was no where near good enough. She asked me to prove that I could do better"
The editor of The Guardian at the time was Alan Rusbridger. If she means the editor of Weekend magazine, say that.
Before I read the last sentence quoted above I thought she was trying to claim that Alan Rusbridger headhunted her on twitter.

What I find noteworthy is that Sally says Julia didn’t take any rent from her. If that is true, why did she then need housing benefit - she has publicly said she wouldn’t have been able to survive without it!

I've always been curious how our pal Sal found hereself homeless. Moved from Wales to her bf's in London. Met Julia. Split up with boyf and remained in flat with Julia.
Did her good friend Julia make her homeless?
Unlikely SH would still regard her as a close friend if so you would think.
Maybe the tenancy ended or something. And Julia didn't want SH on the sofa.

(Last sentence a joke. I have no reason to think Julia is anything other than lovely)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
'The Weekend beauty page was no where near good enough'.
Yet we point that out and are mentally subnormal troll turds 🤷‍♀️.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Totally agree re qualifications - I wonder if SH wears her lack of them also as a badge of honour. Sort of learning from the school of hard knocks. When she campaigned to oust Lauren Luke from her job so she could get it (2010/2011?) I think those tactics were even admired showing a gritty hard nosed determination. Sort of like the 'ladette' thing.
There was that article (on here somewhere) describing that Twitter campaign where you can tell the whole episode is treated with respect and admiration by the interviewer, even with the occasional [[[laughs]]] thrown in as they gloat over a woman publicly losing her job.
Times have changed in a relatively small amount of time and the sort of ruthless Gordon Ghecko approach now looks just a bit icky.
In the interest of balance I am sure I watched an ‘In the bathroom with...’ where she said she had some sort of journalism qualification or diploma - not entirely sure what type or where from etc.... very deep research.

Reactions: 2
The Guardian seems to have an issue with quality journalism, in my opinion. That piece on Tuesday was shockingly 1D. I struggle to find much worth reading so I subscribe to better journalism elsewhere. There’s no way I’d pay for it.

Reactions: 7
What I find noteworthy is that Sally says Julia didn’t take any rent from her. If that is true, why did she then need housing benefit - she has publicly said she wouldn’t have been able to survive without it!

Exactly. Sali seems to have selective memory syndrome.

(Get the gloss)
'I got the Guardian beauty column entirely by accident when the editor of the paper, for whom I already wrote for a great deal, saw me tweeting my girlfriends that the Weekend beauty page was no where near good enough. She asked me to prove that I could do better"

So the guardian basically sacked their columnist, over someone on twitter complaining and boasting about their work? Also, none of the tattle on this social media platform has led to such consequence, yet this is the place of "beef faced skidmarks who need punched and are crazy" erm...
What she did to LL was dirty and underhanded. She didn't make the comments privately behind closed doors, she put it on a public platform that another contributor's work was no where near good enough. It was bullying of an individual publicly.

Reactions: 8
Yet she likes to view herself as a "woman's woman". This thread is a laundry list of her being anything but

Reactions: 10
Not at all @melfish . I don't consider her a journalist. She writes opinion columns but appears to have the what one might expect to be a disadvantage in that she only has about 10 opinions.

From a recent Vogue piece on lipstick
I think she also uses the whole “beauty is not unimportant just because it’s a women’s interest subject” to bolster this idea she’s a journalist. As in, she’s not “just” a writer because she writes about beauty. So then all the lemmings carry the torch of “just because she writes about beauty doesn’t mean she’s not a journalist!” And well, no she’s not a journalist, but it’s not because she writes about beauty.

I haven’t explained that very well..

Journalism clearly becoming a lost art, with a lot of these columnists taking liberties with the meaning of the term! The lines are very blurred, and you've got to wonder how much the casual readers can actually discern between real journalism vs "piffle" (amazing word by the way!)

Another luddite opinion perhaps, but there was once a time when op-eds were reserved for the most senior and respected journalists on the paper
Journalists, and writers at large have to have that elusive modern phenomenon, ideas. These come from engaging with the world around you and reflecting on its situation. The trouble with columnism journalism today is that it's a pop-up shop for shouting your opinion which seems to have become such a feature of the world recently. For instance, Vox pops about B****t (sorry!!) have been appalling us for the last 3 years for the tired, unimaginative ways in which meaningless empty drivel is spouted but boy, do those people want us TO KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. I really listen out for any actual content in vox pops and very rarely is there much that's meaningful. That's like Sali's writing. How many times ahs she said those things?! it's just Vox pops VERY LOUDLY TILL WE GET IT, 'MMKKKAY? (Sorry, I'm a sceptical skidder about public intelligence.). Good writing should inform, educate or entertain. Poor, lazy, repetitive opinion is none of these things. It's just shouting , just another version of Speakers' Corner. (Does that even still exist?) Populated by the same loons, self-appointed experts and end-of-the-worlders it always was. Difference is, now people can get paid for it. I was never much of a one for monthly mags or instagram influencers at large but I did used to have respect for The Guardian which, because of how its owned and funded, has a credible claim to the kind of intelligence I want in my public journalism. It's easy to have opinions, just ask anyone ever interviewed for a vox pop on Brexit. But to have actual ideas and the ability to critique is significantly tougher and apparently beyond SH if Mselvista's Vogue quotation is anything to go by.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Journalists, and writers at large have to have that elusive modern phenomenon, ideas. These come from engaging with the world around you and reflecting on its situation. The trouble with columnism journalism today is that it's a pop-up shop for shouting your opinion which seems to have become such a feature of the world recently. For instance, Vox pops about B****t (sorry!!) have been appalling us for the last 3 years for the tired, unimaginative ways in which meaningless empty drivel is spouted but boy, do those people want us TO KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK. I really listen out for any actual content in vox pops and very rarely is there much that's meaningful. That's like Sali's writing. How many times ahs she said those things?! it's just Vox pops VERY LOUDLY TILL WE GET IT, 'MMKKKAY? (Sorry, I'm a sceptical skidder about public intelligence.). Good writing should inform, educate or entertain. Poor, lazy, repetitive opinion is none of these things. It's just shouting , just another version of Speakers' Corner. (Does that even still exist?) Populated by the same loons, self-appointed experts and end-of-the-worlders it always was. Difference is, now people can get paid for it. I was never much of a one for monthly mags or instagram influencers at large but I did used to have respect for The Guardian which, because of how its owned and funded, has a credible claim to the kind of intelligence I want in my public journalism. It's easy to have opinions, just ask anyone ever interviewed for a vox pop on Brexit. But to have actual ideas and the ability to critique is significantly tougher and apparently beyond SH if Mselvista's Vogue quotation is anything to go by.
This! Yaaassss!!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.