Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly. The Lauren Luke episode is, for me, all the evidence I need. I am inclined to think that someone like SH who left the family home in Wales at 15 to live with an adult boyfriend in London is someone who will be, as an adult, very resilient, and not averse to walking all over anyone who is in her way. A hard case or tough nut, but hiding behind a feminist facade.
Yeah, feminists don't, as a rule, laugh along with this sort of tit, they tend to challenge it.

For those interested in which magazine she edited, was acting editor of ElleGirl

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I love watching her! Although she almost exclusively uses high end brands, and most of it I'd never afford, she's a joy to watch.
P.S. It's Michele Wang
I love her. I am very keen to support women of colour in this field,and YouTube/IG have really levelled the playing field in that regard.

Yes, she focuses on high end stuff but that was her aim. However she often partners with other youtubers to do videos on the same categories but for different price brackets, which is always helpful.

And she doesn’t do that incredibly annoying thing of layering one foundation over another OVER THE BACK OF HER EFFING HAND when reviewing it.

Reactions: 7
"...frankly [makeup wearing] is polite [for others]" from the grazia column, I can't quite articulate why this is unnerving to me. Just seems a very male-gaze perspective to focus on, like when random men tell women to smile at them to be polite. Makeup shouldn't be a normalised state of a woman's face, makeup free should still be the social default, and it should never be implied that to have a naked face is to be impolite or rude.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
"...frankly [makeup wearing] is polite [for others]" from the grazia column, I can't quite articulate why this is unnerving to me. Just seems a very male-gaze perspective to focus on, like when random men tell women to smile at them to be polite. Makeup shouldn't be a normalised state of a woman's face, makeup free should still be the social default, and it should never be implied that to have a naked face is to be impolite or rude.
Glad I'm not the only one. What an asinine thing to say. Judgmental af too

Reactions: 7
Isn’t this similar to the article that Esther Walker penned last year for Space NK and was then subsequently trashed for by Sally’s legion of troglodytic followers???

63EEC7E1-8DF6-4B9B-AE9B-0C5A4510F1D1.jpeg
26CEB7B4-41E9-47A9-8511-F264FD33E632.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
I was just about to comment with the same - I can’t believe she said the same thing that she publicly shamed Esther over!

Reactions: 4
This is a person who built her following on twitter by live-tweeting popular Saturday and Sunday evening tv shows, mainly by making the most horrible, personal, shallow, mean comments possible about the (let’s be real) mainly women who appeared on said shows. Including acerbic, nasty remarks about makeup, clothing, surgery speculation and judgement, and saying some were ok as long as they never spoke (that was about Rihanna) etc. She also egged her twitter gang to do the same and it was usually a race to the bottom to see who was the best at skewering these people whose only crime was to appear on tv.

A narcissist will never admit to having double standards. But the narcissist will do whatever they want, whenever they want and at anyone's expense. They standards they hold for themselves are completely different to the standards they demand others abide by.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
I wish I could say this is astounding, but it's not. Very Sally. Nail on the head, all of you.

Hang on a minute - in an In The Bathroom with C Moran (the first ones she did with her 6 years ago) didn't they both agree that women who won't leave the house without makeup have mental health problems? Please tell me I'm not imagining this? I remember as I still liked her at the time and so was quite shocked. I'm fairly sure people commented about it. I'll go and check. Report back soon.......

Mm interesting. Comments turned off for those videos -but not on other ITB. I don't have time to watch them now but will. Can't remember if the comments were in the first or second part. I think several people had commented as they didn't like them saying that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
The comments were also turned off for CT because people had opinions of her never being bare-faced in front of others, even her husband. And because the video was a QVC show for her products.
The subject of being seen without make up is an interesting one, or maybe not and is quite simple. I remember taking my mother to ER and she was putting her mascara on between gallbladder attacks. I went to my gastroscopy with mascara and foundation on and later looking like Alice Cooper. I can go to my grocer's and walk my dog without make up, but going to work or anything that's more than 5 minutes away, I can't. Mainly because of the redness on my nose and cheeks.

Reactions: 3
Sigh. Feminism my arse. It really is just a brand to a lot of them, isn't it? Literally just a t-shirt. I'm fed up of this wishy washy choosy-choicey version of feminism where everything is "empowering". I wear make-up and I don't beat myself up over it but it's not a feminist choice and I'm able to recognise that without the world ending.

Feminism should challenge you all the time, make you question yourself and the world around you. It isn't a cosy club and a logo you can slap onto everything. I don't think the suffragettes' "ballsy attitude" was enhanced by rocking a red lip when they were being kicked to the ground by policemen and having tubes stuffed down their throats in prison (although I'm sure the indestructible Ruby Woo would've helped).

I propose that we stop being "polite" to other people and do Movember with the menz. Come on, let's rock those taches!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Sadly, the very last thing SH wants is to be challenged. Challenges are deleted, distorted and twisted into her own self-serving yet wholly inaccurate narratives.

Reactions: 13
I was just about to comment with the same - I can’t believe she said the same thing that she publicly shamed Esther over!
Probably pissed that she'd nicked one of SH' s stock phrases. For use in a parody piece.

The comments were also turned off for CT because people had opinions of her never being bare-faced in front of others, even her husband. And because the video was a QVC show for her products.
The subject of being seen without make up is an interesting one, or maybe not and is quite simple. I remember taking my mother to ER and she was putting her mascara on between gallbladder attacks. I went to my gastroscopy with mascara and foundation on and later looking like Alice Cooper. I can go to my grocer's and walk my dog without make up, but going to work or anything that's more than 5 minutes away, I can't. Mainly because of the redness on my nose and cheeks.
In my opinion SH's feminism consists of "I'm a woman + I would like to do x and y = top feministing. See also CM

So glad CM said it was Ok to employ a cleaner with out guilt.
Couldn't find much in HTBAW that was relevant to the women dong the cleaning for CM and her like, though.

Remember when, after another black male was shot dead by police in US CM tweeted something like "if I was lived in America and had black sons, I would seriously consider emigrating." You can grow up in a council house with parents on benefits but if you've lived in a media bubble since your teens, you can still spout dumb tit like that.

I don't think the suffragettes' "ballsy attitude" was enhanced by rocking a red lip when they were being kicked to the ground by policemen and having tubes stuffed down their throats in prison (although I'm sure the indestructible Ruby Woo would've helped).
Mary "slasher," Richardson favoured Lady Danger, I understand. How very apt.

CM also tweeted that this was hilarious. Our most prominent contemporary "feminist". No wonder the UK' s fucked. Our media's too busy wanking about on Twitter trying to impress each other and elevating their mates.

Sadly, the very last thing SH wants is to be challenged. Challenges are deleted, distorted and twisted into her own self-serving yet wholly inaccurate narratives.
Does anyone remember blobbyfish or whatever? She said they were a regular troll of her's after they commented on her Insta about botox. She stated they regularly commented nasty things about her and her family
Blobbyfishy was maybe a prototype us. I may be mistaken about this and blobbyfish was actually a vile peice ofvwork.

CM was actually outfeministed by the gobby epicure here. It's almost like she has no feminist instincts at all.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
CM gah...! The blurb for How To Be A Woman described her as "Germaine Greer on a bar stool" which if you didn't know better, might lead you to believe Greer was some fusty academic sitting in a library writing heavy tracts. Instead of a brave, colourful outrageous pioneering woman who went up against the rankest, most overt sexism, and was prepared to be outspoken, sometimes wildly wrong, combative, annoying, inspiring and a lot of fun. CM has a comic gift but has had a cosy charmed life and writes far too much about herself. I dislike the idea that feminism has to be dumbed down for younger generations of women.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Completely fucked up my comment, several comments all blended into one as I thought of something else.
This is what I was referring to CM thinking something hilarious (which she doesn't say, my bad, relying on memory).
She's talking about when RB was on Morning Joe. There's a 8 minute or so clip which includes this. In most work environments his comments would be considered sexual.harassment. CM thinks it's funny because the presenter, along with her colleagues are dim.
*feministface*

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Another luddite opinion perhaps, but there was once a time when op-eds were reserved for the most senior and respected journalists on the paper
totally agree i think the standard of journalism in lots of mainstream papers has actually gpne down as they rush to produce more content to put online with lower profits, the whole sally debacle was a case in point wherre none of fbe journalists involved seemed to do any research

Isn’t this similar to the article that Esther Walker penned last year for Space NK and was then subsequently trashed for by Sally’s legion of troglodytic followers???

View attachment 57367View attachment 57368
yes why not dedicate hours to your external appearance to the detriment of other parts of your life. ridiculous

This is a person who built her following on twitter by live-tweeting popular Saturday and Sunday evening tv shows, mainly by making the most horrible, personal, shallow, mean comments possible about the (let’s be real) mainly women who appeared on said shows. Including acerbic, nasty remarks about makeup, clothing, surgery speculation and judgement, and saying some were ok as long as they never spoke (that was about Rihanna) etc. She also egged her twitter gang to do the same and it was usually a race to the bottom to see who was the best at skewering these people whose only crime was to appear on tv.

A narcissist will never admit to having double standards. But the narcissist will do whatever they want, whenever they want and at anyone's expense. They standards they hold for themselves are completely different to the standards they demand others abide by.
Also a lots of references to this morning and loose women in old manual rts. Showing off to fellow freelancers who were all watching daytime telly. And then cliams to never take a day off!

Which has reminded me if this article where SH is surely taking the piss.

Also in these interviews where she's asked about hiw she became a writer she doesn't mention college/university. Even if she dudn't finish you would think she would have learn some skills eg writing to a deadline, writing succinctly, developing a coherent argument that she later used a a freelancer. Especially as someone who took a break from formal education and left it at such an early age.

totally agree i think the standard of journalism in lots of mainstream papers has actually gpne down as they rush to produce more content to put online with lower profits
You don't think that could be why she's still at the the Graun do you? The 'Sali' effect meaning Sali's Army* clickclicketyclicking on those affiliate links?
🤔

*Also referred to as Salinistas by some

"They're girls who just wanna have fun. "

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
How much of online shopping addiction is fuelled by influencers? A lot, I’d say
The sad thing about it is that the influencers get the stuff they are parading for free. They then set about getting others to buy it (whether they can afford it or need it) in order that they (the influencer) may continue receiving goods and services for free. They are influencing people who are at home during the day such as unemployed, long term ill etc. It is cruel. These people then end up having to go onto debt help sites/the CAB to help them to get out of the mess the influencers have manipulated them into. This is particularly so in the case of the makeup/skincare influencers because they trade on people's insecurity about their appearance.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.