Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, I'm a newish member - I posted on here a couple of times after Freaky Friday under a different username, but I really hated it (the username, not posting - I'd hastily picked one when I needed to join to view images), so I'm back with a better one. Squalor Victoria may spot the reference.

This post leapt out at me, as I'm a veteran of various other forums, and it reminded me the very first time I ever heard of Sali Hughes was nearly a decade ago when she was getting absolutely ripped to shreds on a general forum for her inanity. People on there REALLY hated her - and there were some oblique references to twitter clique and Dawn O'Porter bullying, but I didn't follow any of the coven on twitter then so it went over my head a bit. Nothing on here is remotely as vicious as the stuff you read on politics or football forums, and the level of fact checking here is off the scale by comparison.

Fast forward a few years and I saw her interview Lisa Eldridge at the inaugural Stylist Live event and thought she sounded sensible. She was honest about having cosmetic surgery on her ears, and that made me trust that she'd be equally honest about any other work she'd have done past or future. So I followed her on SM and it wasn't until I read these threads that I realised she'd been economical with the truth.
Interesting, @iameasytofind, what was the inanity that was picked up by those forum members? What was she doing at that point in her career?

Interesting, @iameasytofind, what was the inanity that was picked up by those forum members? What was she doing at that point in her career?
Sorry but I don't know because I didn't really know who she was then. It was definitely about articles she'd written but I don't know if they were beauty related or another subject. I remember the bile more than the detail tbh. And then being really surprised at how sensible she sounded when she interviewed Lisa Eldridge, because it didn't fit with the bile I remembered.

Followed by gradual disillusionment over the past few months as she seemed to get more and more snippy and irritable, and I had a couple of disagreements with her on Twitter.

I'm glad I did find these threads. I've not always found them comfortable reading (there are some points I've felt sorry for her - she does seem like quite a damaged person in some ways). Since finding this site I've unfollowed so many influencers and gurus and I hadn't realised how tedious I'd started to find them. I didn't expect to feel quite as joyful as I do that absolutely no-one's tried to flog me any Real Techniques makeup brushes in over a month, but there it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I didn't expect to feel quite as joyful as I do that absolutely no-one's tried to flog me any Real Techniques makeup brushes in over a month, but there it is.
yup. I’m all about Zoeva these days. I’ve unfollowed Sam and Nic Chapman, too. I respect that they are open and honest about the cosmetic work that they have had done, but the way they are glued to Sali and seemingly unable to see through her is distasteful.

I am very disappointed to see that Hannah Martin seems to be becoming something of an influencer. Is it usual for legit makeup artists to go on press trips and dinners for so many different brands?!

Reactions: 3
I am very disappointed to see that Hannah Martin seems to be becoming something of an influencer. Is it usual for legit makeup artists to go on press trips and dinners for so many different brands?!
Same. I unfollwed her. I can't put my finger on what or when but she seemed to morph into the influencer mould. I found myself scrolling by, not interested in what she was wearing.

I do like her. Enjoy her make up stuff, just not the cookie cutter influencer stuff.

Reactions: 2
Yes. Influencer free is the way to go. I think I'll do the same with Hannah, I'd only picked up on her influencer stuff recently. Whenever I look at Sali, the Chapmans Intsa etc it leaves a bad taste. Please Caroline Barnes, stay true!

Reactions: 4
Enjoy her make up stuff, just not the cookie cutter influencer stuff.
I can’t even say that I enjoy that anymore. I followed her for her makeup videos which were properly good when she was at BB but now? I don’t want to know about her personal life yet I seem to be getting a lot of it!

she shows off a lot of the stuff that she gets for free and says how good they are (like the artis brushes) but then we never hear about them again! Sad really.

Same here with Hannah Martin. She does genuinely seem nice and she can always put a positive spin on a day, but she’s changed a lot since the Bobbi Brown days.

She's really annoyed me again. Her latest Twitter input (sorry - you may well have gathered by know my uselessness at links etc) someone was moaning again about here and said how they had watched her video. She chips in with her usual 'I've never been there, friends tell me bits, anything goes there BLAH BLAH bleeping BLAH' but the bit that really irritated was when she said she has had people contacting her saying because of what is said here about them they are scared to leave the house, have anxiety disorders. Now. As far as I am aware the only threats of harm came from her cronies towards us (bearing in mind she assured them she knew where we lived - this could not be presumed to be a hollow threat). I don't like the way she insinuates people here are somehow dangerous, for expressing a bleeping opinion.
But hopefully more and more people will come here and see for themselves the reality of Sali Hughes.
My bid for next thread title (paraphrasing @Jelly Bean)

Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Keeping it even simpler...
Brilliant! Gets my vote. I wish I had said that tbh.

Reactions: 11
Exactly. If she was so sure of how foul and disgusting this place is - and the righteousness of discrediting here, and also to stand up for those frightened people contacting her, why the hell didn't she take the opportunity to voice her concerns using her name, in The Guardian? Because we all know she was asked and is 'possibly' the well-known writer. Why wouldn't you take that opportunity to do what you believe is right? Instead of this sniping from the sidelines?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
If it was her in the Guardian, surely she'd have been referenced as an author?

• Haha
If it was her in the Guardian, surely she'd have been referenced as an author?
No she decided store the pot anonymously.
She won't be pleased over Sun photo or being labelled a beauty blogger as that makes her sound as vacuous as the Insta huns and she's a journalist you know!

No she decided store the pot anonymously.
She won't be pleased over Sun photo or being labelled a beauty blogger as that makes her sound as vacuous as the Insta huns and she's a journalist you know!
AND AUTHOR. Her, Judith Kerr, all the authors are all as one.

Reactions: 5
That’s interesting @Jelly Bean . I would definitely be hesitant to talk about something in such damning terms if I hadn’t seen it before. Does she say she hasn’t seen it herself so she can explain why she lied in the video?? But then why make a video about something you’re not totally sure of.

I’m very sorry for anyone who suffers crippling anxiety. An interesting piece of research might be whether or not spending X amount of hours on Instagram/sharing X personal details/relying on Instagram for money or a sense of self can play into higher levels of anxiety.

There is a question of personal responsibility when you choose your career. Some people are very robust and don’t care what people say about them. Others focus in on the negatives and can’t move past them.

if someone of the latter disposition does something immoral/gains from being deceptive/is a ruthless salesperson masquerading as a friend then what should the rest of us do? Stay quiet so they can continue without having hurt feelings seems to be the influencer stance.

That’s ok, but then up pops another person who is highly anxious due to the unrealistic goals set for their image by influencer culture. The message is that person doesn’t matter.

From my perspective that’s all wrong - I believe in a utilitarian sort of outlook. If the career you choose is damaging to a lot of people the smallest thing you can do to compensate is listen to the damage and see if some can be repaired. It is reprehensible to me that a person could steam through life being a bully and a manipulator and then cry damages at the response. I didn’t go looking for SH. She looked for my readership and follow and support, which I did for years and years.

But it seems that tracking is only welcome if you LOVE the content and agree with it or simply walk away. That’s not how most people work. Most people develop relationships with the culture and react. It’s healthy and it creates new forms of culture and art and community. To try to stunt that natural process for your own gain is supremely nasty and self important. But it’s also foolish.

unfortunately I think the reason the MOD story was so big is because everyone knows the influencer bubble is bursting. Maybe sali thinks there is enough demand for fluff pieces but if I were her I would be honing my serious journalism skills with the assumption that appetite for tat has waned irreversibly. And that would mean reading something before you publicly and strongly attempt to discredit it. Trying to shut something down without ever having seen it is very questionable behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
She's really annoyed me again. Her latest Twitter input (sorry - you may well have gathered by know my uselessness at links etc) someone was moaning again about here and said how they had watched her video. She chips in with her usual 'I've never been there, friends tell me bits, anything goes there BLAH BLAH bleeping BLAH' but the bit that really irritated was when she said she has had people contacting her saying because of what is said here about them they are scared to leave the house, have anxiety disorders. Now. As far as I am aware the only threats of harm came from her cronies towards us (bearing in mind she assured them she knew where we lived - this could not be presumed to be a hollow threat). I don't like the way she insinuates people here are somehow dangerous, for expressing a bleeping opinion.
But hopefully more and more people will come here and see for themselves the reality of Sali Hughes.

Attachments

• Angry
Reactions: 1
I don’t think literally anything goes here. It’s less heavily moderated than Mumsnet but more heavily moderated than Reddit. They’re both very respectable sources for discussion. People roll their eyes at all three but I expect those people don’t have any experience of using any of them.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.