Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Currently in the waiting room while a loved one has a psychiatry appointment so that's the mental health reason why I'm here right now. And the reason I despise the language SH uses. "Utterly mental" after a cup of coffee or something similarly ridiculous.

ETA - in the interest of fairness, I remember she said she was actually a "lunatic" after a coffee. It's us who are "Utterly mental". My bad.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
SH also agreed with B Black that posters not necessarily mentally ill. In the interests of fairness. We are nothing if not balanced here [emoji140]

Re thread title, I'm in a retro kinda mood so would like to suggest an oldie but goodie. My preference would be "Also stop talking about someone you don't know you TRAGIC F****s" a la IK
I don't understand why IK is so incredibly rude to people. Would she say that to someone's face? It's just such a horrible way to shut someone down. I've seen it a fair bit from SH and crew. It makes me dislike them all so much more.

Reactions: 5
Hello everyone, come and look at me! But shut your skidmark mouth! Comment is NOT free
Gets my vote but maybe HIYA! Instead hello everyone.
The HIYA! she does at the start of her IGTV vids before smearing the back of her hand with loads of makeup as though she's creating content for product fetishists.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Whst about a straight title.
"A discussion of SH's practices in her columns, on social media and her other platforms, past and present."
Practices not correct word. Dunno. Not very with it today.

I think IK said bin people. I thought it meant we were like Oscar the Grouch but more bovine complected.

"A discussion of SH's practices in her columns, on social media and her other platforms, past and present."
Practices not correct word. Dunno. Not very with it today.
"A discussion of SH's work...blah blah, blah
...Warning: may contain jokes."

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
An exploration of SH's attitudes and values: a critique of columns, social media and her other platforms, past and present

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Sali Hughes, a discussion.

(We don't know whst we might end up discussing. Something else daft might happen ie by her. Or some new stuff could come to light)

Reactions: 4
I took a look at SH's Wikipedia page where she is described as a journalist and writer. However, the narrative does not mention any further education or any formal journalistic training on a newspaper. I am not suggesting she cannot write, although we don't know the extent to which her endeavours are assisted by an editor. However, can anyone shed a light for me on how she got as far as she did because neither is there any mention of her having formally trained as a makeup artist, nor in dermatology/skin care. I am not saying that people shouldn't be working in certain areas if they do not have formal qualifications.

Reactions: 2
I took a look at SH's Wikipedia page where she is described as a journalist and writer. However, the narrative does not mention any further education or any formal journalistic training on a newspaper. I am not suggesting she cannot write, although we don't know the extent to which her endeavours are assisted by an editor. However, can anyone shed a light for me on how she got as far as she did because neither is there any mention of her having formally trained as a makeup artist, nor in dermatology/skin care. I am not saying that people shouldn't be working in certain areas if they do not have formal qualifications.
Dumbofeather "Sali hughes is pretty honest"
Getthegloss "steps to success: Sali hughes"

Ran away at 15 to live with an adult boyfriend, hung around nightclubs with druggies & celebs ofcourse, met Lynne Easton (mua) who she was assistant to whilst still underage, worked as a hostess, her boyfriend's flatmate hooked her up with connections, got an internship/job at Loaded magazine, then other magazine's, said she was better than Lauren Luke... and now we are here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Dumbofeather "in conversation with Sali hughes"

She mentions, she was working as an assistant to Lynne Easton at 15 (met her at a bar), having run away to live with an adult boyfriend. Eventually securing a job at Loaded magazine, something about impressing the staff by giving the store room a tidy?

It just seems wild for a child to be able to runaway like that, and have her resident family member in London think nothing of this girl living with an adult boyfriend and running around Night clubs. Guess the rest was all down to "who you know", but I doubt many people in that position would have financially been okay and gained such fortunate employment. Not naive to think any of this didn't happen, but christ she even calls herself "jail bait" at this time, what were her family doing?!
It does sound implausible but 1990 was still very much the era if the wild child. I'm not saying SH was one but 15 year olds were "cavorting" in nightclubs and featured in newspapers for doing so (eg Emma Ridley). So SH,'s parents the only ones who allowed it.

She wrote for magazines. As said elsewhere started on Loaded and also worked on teen and then mainly women's magazines.
Her professional site www.salihughes.com has been taken down but some stuff can still be viewed via wayback machine. Lots of examples if her work from, I think 2000 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Dumbofeather "in conversation with Sali hughes"

She mentions, she was working as an assistant to Lynne Easton at 15 (met her at a bar), having run away to live with an adult boyfriend. Eventually securing a job at Loaded magazine, something about impressing the staff by giving the store room a tidy?
Thanks for the response :). I agree totally with all you say. I think it is reasonable to say that there is detail missing on how she got so far. She is only going to tell people what she wants them to know, and her narrative so far, makes her look like she got where she is through her own skills, whereas I suspect she has made the right social connections. Strictly speaking, at 15 years of age, the matter should have been reported to the police and get social services involved.

Thanks for the response :). I agree totally with all you say. I think it is reasonable to say that there is detail missing on how she got so far. She is only going to tell people what she wants them to know, and her narrative so far, makes her look like she got where she is through her own skills, whereas I suspect she has made the right social connections. Strictly speaking, at 15 years of age, the matter should have been reported to the police and get social services involved.
Sorry edited my post, as it seems quite far fetched in terms of child protection. The rest of it seems to have been "knowing the right people". Good on her for managing to become so economically comfortable with a fulfilling job, but it seems unrealistic for most kids in such situations without a helping hand.

Reactions: 1
makes her look like she got where she is through her own skills,
According to SH she had family connections. So she had an 'in'

Contradicts the bumped into a makeup artist in a bar story. No contradicts exactly, not firing on one cylinder today.

She made a big impression on the editor of Loaded at the time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
According to SH she had family connections. So she had an 'in'

Contradicts the bumped into a makeup artist in a bar story. No contradicts exactly, not firing on one cylinder today.

She made a big impression on the editor of Loaded at the time.
It looks like she was in the right place at the right time what with her boyfriend sharing a flat with JM who was working in the target industry, introduced her to the 'in' people and, very importantly, took no rent from her. A lot of people would have liked to pursue career opportunities in London, but the rents are prohibitive. SH was lucky she never had to take on student loans to pay for courses in media related work.

Reactions: 3
She's achieved admirably and I always was genuinely impressed with everything gained and happiness found.

But Botox.

It looks like she was in the right place at the right time what with her boyfriend sharing a flat with JM who was working in the target industry, introduced her to the 'in' people and, very importantly, took no rent from her. A lot of people would have liked to pursue career opportunities in London, but the rents are prohibitive. SH was lucky she never had to take on student loans to pay for courses in media related work.
SH has pretty much said the same herself that the same opportunities are not open to young people today, in fairness to her.
Not sure if in interviews or on Twitter but I have ertainky seen her say pretty much tgat.

You cannot just proclaim yourself a journalist, any more than you can just proclaim yourself a lawyer. It requires at the bare minimum an immersive three-year cadetship on a newspaper. Back when I did it, tertiary qualifications weren't necessary, but they certainly are now. This is why she writes opinion and fluff pieces for women's mags and lifestyle sections of newspapers (and we've seen the tactics employed to gain that)

Yes, it's possible to sort of sneak in the back door by interning at mags, but that definitely limits your career to the beauty/fashion/lifestyle arenas. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it definitely grinds my gears that she never misses an opportunity to broadcast her "serious journalist" credentials. It's shameless and speaks simultaneously to her insecurity and tpo her confidence that she can say whatever she wants and people will buy it unquestionably. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but newspaper cadetships are bloody hard and competitive and even after after I moved over to magazine editing, I cringed to call myself a journalist. I'll shut up now I've made a total dick of myself

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Probably my rant says more about me than her. I guess she paid her dues in a different way 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.