Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been lurking for weeks . I saw the thread on mumsnet, wondered what the fuss was about , saw the video Sali Hughes made about these awful trolls. It sounded horrific .
I thought I’d see for myself ( had never heard of tattle life before That weekend).
What I found was a questioning of influencer culture. Intelligent witty commentators whose points about being sick of the shilling , sick of the consumerism, sick of the falseness, echoed what I’ve been feeling myself . More power to you
Me too 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
In the Guardian today: 'Sheet masks are the new plastic straws' – the movement to streamline your skincare'
Link

Reactions: 6
I wonder if a lot of influencers’ paranoia and preoccupation with this site isn’t what they say it is - a bunch of strangers with no lives in caves picking apart your every move - and their big issue is the fear it’s fuelled by people who know them?

I’m of course aware they know they could be trashed by people they know but I hadn’t considered it *solely* from that perspective until yesterday. Is that why SH posts about this mysterious messiah? She has a nemesis she thinks is driving it, dripping poison at opportune moments? I mean, she seems to have left a lot of people in her wake so it’s entirely possible.

So then the paranoia about who you can trust or freeze out becomes the thing, rather than the fact that there’s a thread on an obscure site about you.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
SH is a public figure and she is perfectly happy to reap the benefits of that when it suits her- sponsored posts, affiliate links, being sent every product under the sun (by her own admission), book sales from her following and so on. The posters here represent a drop in the ocean compared to her dedicated following so I'm not sure why she is honing in on this

Reactions: 15
Yes, as an influencer who can you trust? And how easy it would be to sabotage a ‘colleagues’ reputation or ‘orchestrate a hate campaign’. Must be agonising not fo know who is behind some posts/personae. That’s why dismissing us as shitmouths etc is easier than contemplating we could be her peers. Some of the posters here have great insight & awareness - it must eat Sali up not knowing who they are or where they are from. Hence the detective work. All I know is that backstabbers fear backstabbers - they know how they operate & what depths they will sink to to trash a reputation. And we know that Sali is a backstabber because she bragged about what she did to Lauren Luke.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes, as an influencer who can you trust? And how easy it would be to sabotage a ‘colleagues’ reputation or ‘orchestrate a hate campaign’. Must be agonising not fo know who is behind some posts/personae. That’s why dismissing us as shitmouths etc is easier than contemplating we could be her peers. Some of the posters here have great insight & awareness - it must eat Sali up not knowing who they are or where they are from. Hence the detective work. All I know is that backstabbers fear backstabbers - they know how they operate & what depths they will sink to to trash a reputation. And we know that Sali is a backstabber because she bragged about what she did to Lauren Luke.
Exactly, the mod outing is hard evidence there’s no us (influencers + followers) v them (cave-dwelling sides of beef) - it’s all blurred and no one’s going to be more wise to it all than someone who operates in the shadowy bits.
In the Guardian today: 'Sheet masks are the new plastic straws' – the movement to streamline your skincare'
Link
Great article, thanks @Cashoo and thank duck this is being talked about in the mainstream.

This is why SH is not a beauty journalist - journalists investigate and don’t mind ruffling feathers. They look at the bigger picture and challenge companies profiting in unethical ways.

SH, on the other side of the fence, mentions sustainability only within VERY certain parameters so as to not upset her various income streams. She’s an influencer through and through.

Of course now we’re at single-use sheet mask saturation point, the influencers will probably now feel it’s safe to start murmuring about the environmental impact.

Btw that link didn’t work for me (probably me) - here it is again https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...raws-the-movement-to-streamline-your-skincare

Reactions: 8
Link
Please can beauty advent calenders be next, all that wasteful packaging.

Reactions: 19
SH is a public figure and she is perfectly happy to reap the benefits of that when it suits her- sponsored posts, affiliate links, being sent every product under the sun (by her own admission)
...getting a book deal to write about the colour of the Queen's outfits...

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Sali seems to have two camps of friends, the blue tickers who she fiercely defends in the hope they will do the same and the other camp who are just sort of in the wings, not selfied with the same because they don’t get the clicks.

the other camp are expected to agree regardless, keep their own opinions in line, ferociously defend and sleuth at her behest. I would hazard a guess that Sali herself was one of the ‘friends’ who told Feebee she had been mentioned on here.

i am clueless about the MoD thing and don’t really have the inclination to look into it. Those quotes @PineappleQueen19 posted though could have been written about Sali. She is a toxic person, can shout about ‘her’ charity all she wants.

Reactions: 3
I've got the idea from somewhere that she was approached to do that book.
I did too. I got the impression that a publisher had the idea for the book (and possibly the pictures?) and approached SH to be the author. Presumably the strategy was for the book's sales to benefit from SH's large social media following.

I did too. I got the impression that a publisher had the idea for the book (and possibly the pictures?) and approached SH to be the author. Presumably the strategy was for the book's sales to benefit from SH's large social media following.
Oh that's reassuring that I haven't imagined that. I don't know where I saw it though.

Please can beauty advent calenders be next, all that wasteful packaging.
This.
Escellent article btw.

“I used to travel with bags full of beauty products, but now I take three or four things. As you become aware of your impact on the environment in all areas of your life, more feels unnecessary,”

This is me. It's very liberating.

Reactions: 6
No profit or percentage in sustainable/intentional consumption. This is why influencers don’t ever talk about beauty treatments you can make at home. Sali & her ilk can bleat on about ethics & the environment but she’s part of the machine - promoting mindless consumption & jumping on flights to frigging Cornwall. The layers upon layers of hypocrisy are astonishing.

Reactions: 9
No profit or percentage in sustainable/intentional consumption. This is why influencers don’t ever talk about beauty treatments you can make at home. Sali & her ilk can bleat on about ethics & the environment but she’s part of the machine - promoting mindless consumption & jumping on flights to frigging Cornwall. The layers upon layers of hypocrisy are astonishing.
Definitely - and going on huge environmental conferences promoted by large corporations to tick a box rather than being honest about how few products you really need. People have been saying on this thread for ages how liberating it was to stop believing people like her and Hirons about the next wonder product they had loved for 'years'. The endless push to sell stuff - 'You simply slot this next acid/oil/serum into your routine and wash your face in an ever more complicated fashion by purchasing this product #notatallsponsoredohnoperishthethought'. How scary for them to contemplate the gravy train might stop.
I like the way Lisa Niven-Phillips (Guardian beauty writer) writes. Doesn't make it all about her.

I wonder if a lot of influencers’ paranoia and preoccupation with this site isn’t what they say it is - a bunch of strangers with no lives in caves picking apart your every move - and their big issue is the fear it’s fuelled by people who know them?

I’m of course aware they know they could be trashed by people they know but I hadn’t considered it *solely* from that perspective until yesterday. Is that why SH posts about this mysterious messiah? She has a nemesis she thinks is driving it, dripping poison at opportune moments? I mean, she seems to have left a lot of people in her wake so it’s entirely possible.

So then the paranoia about who you can trust or freeze out becomes the thing, rather than the fact that there’s a thread on an obscure site about you.
Yes! Fascinating and I think you are onto something. When I read her and Feebee's bizarre not-staged-at-all-entirely-natural twitter conversation it puzzled me. Like you say the allusions to the sinister puppet master Corbyn fanatic, the mentions of conspiracies, the paranoia she is being taken to court for 'blocking people'. Maybe as you say she *thinks* she knows who is behind it all. Maybe she thinks one of us is Lauren Luke sitting on a chair stroking a white cat plotting her downfall. :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Definitely - and going on huge environmental conferences promoted by large corporations to tick a box rather than being honest about how few products you really need. People have been saying on this thread for ages how liberating it was to stop believing people like her and Hirons about the next wonder product they had loved for 'years'. The endless push to sell stuff - 'You simply slot this next acid/oil/serum into your routine and wash your face in an ever more complicated fashion by purchasing this product #notatallsponsoredohnoperishthethought'. How scary for them to contemplate the gravy train might stop.
I like the way Lisa Niven-Phillips (Guardian beauty writer) writes. Doesn't make it all about her.

Yes! Fascinating and I think you are onto something. When I read her and Feebee's bizarre not-staged-at-all-entirely-natural twitter conversation it puzzled me. Like you say the allusions to the sinister puppet master Corbyn fanatic, the mentions of conspiracies, the paranoia she is being taken to court for 'blocking people'. Maybe as you say she *thinks* she knows who is behind it all. Maybe she thinks one of us is Lauren Luke sitting on a chair stroking a white cat plotting her downfall. :devilish:
Am still convinced Smithers is here amongst us, undercover. Stranger things have happened this week, right MOD?

• Haha
  • Wow
Is this fair? A women in their mid 40s without a single wrinkle using the #nofilter #noretouch when underneath that is Botox? Is that transparent? Is that being helpful to other women in their mid-forties who for whatever reason are ageing naturally.

Then at the same time promoting all other manner of serums, acids, moisturisers for all number of brands to help us stop looking our age. Will we in 5 or 10 years from now all feel pressure to reverse age or to look like we did in our 30s when we are 50/60 yrs?

Is this the world you want to live in?

Attachments

Maybe Smithers is Our Glorious But Anonymous Leader Who Also Loves Corbyn? There's a film script in here somewhere.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.