Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh the thread title has changed! Only just noticed.

She is at great pains to point out she never reads here. She did that when talking about Tattle on GtL - 'someone told me they were talking about me'.
You know, it’s funny, but I was in Superdrug today and all the while as I was browsing, it was constantly in the back of my mind to NOT BUY ANYTHING I DIDNT NEED. It’s almost like this thread and my complete distrust of IGers is having the opposite effect on me and making me want to not part with my money. It was liberating.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
If she had any style, she’d come on here & thank us for the valuable feedback & say she’d take it on board and try harder in future. Now that would show balls. Hi Sali BTW!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
You know, it’s funny, but I was in Superdrug today and all the while as I was browsing, it was constantly in the back of my mind to NOT BUY ANYTHING I DIDNT NEED. It’s almost like this thread and my complete distrust of IGers is having the opposite effect on me and making me want to not part with my money. It was liberating.
Do you know same here! It is liberating isn't it? I just trust my own judgement now far more. The amount of things I bought (my own fault I know) on the say so of people like SH that have been adequate at best. Certainly never the 'spendy treat' I was lead to believe eg Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser. It was OK. Not terrible but certainly not amazing or worth the money. And some have been downright awful. I was looking at the cheap Collection mascara she recommended recently which probably is fine tbh but I had a word with myself as I didn't bloody need it and also her advice has let me down so many times.
The Caroline Hirons group is an eyeopener for the amount of posts people put up of their 'empties'. Such a lot of STUFF.
The best advice from SH was always from commenters btl in The Guardian. They always suggested good cheap dupes for her recommendations.

Reactions: 13
I’ve felt that too in a big way. It has even affected what I am thinking of buying my female friends and relatives for Xmas.

Skincare mentionitis: Augustinus Bader products doing the rounds on my feed, it was also in Funmi Fetto's Guardian piece recently (unfollowed both, but at least one put #ad), wondering if any of you have noticed specific products being pushed?

Speaking of Funmi, I appreciate her candour here:

The question is: “How much is too much to spend?” Well, it depends on what it is; no one needs to spend three figures on a cleanser. Also, how unique is the formulation? Personally, I have found the rigorous research and exquisite formulas in Japanese beauty brands, such as Shiseido, manifest into the best skin I’ve ever had.

And, finally, what’s your bank saying? Don’t start a skincare regime you can’t afford.

I had a look at that Reddit thread about the OG beauty YouTubers and Lauren Luke is working in a warehouse now? That's the saddest thing. The worst part of it is that Sally will never recognise the part she played in it. She's the kind of person who will say "Oh well, if she had any talent that wouldn't have happened". It makes me phisically sick. How can she be getting away with murder for so long now?
It's not just the column, it's the whole trajectory of her career that was sabotaged

The industry is fickle; disappear from the game for a hot minute, and everything moves on without you

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The Lauren Luke episode is a good example of how media works. SH could openly pitch for the column and deride LL on twitter and encourage a pile on because Lauren isn’t connected in the way many are in the industry. Lauren was a wildebeest Sali could first wound then successfully cleave from the herd. No chance of anyone doing that to, for example, India Knight what with step-father being Chair of The Times (or whatever his lofty position is).

It also goes a long way to explain these ‘friendships’ of SH with the likes of IK, CM, Lauren Laverne, Lucy Mangan etc. Not saying they don’t get along but let’s face it, it’s another way of shoring up your position and insulating yourself from attack. The video on That Friday was a way of rallying the troops to test the loyalty of that wider network, it was good on the day but I don’t think it’s worked out as it was supposed to.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I remember though one piece of advice she gave when she said they eye creams are a waste of money. I have to say that I’ve always followed this.

Reactions: 4
Is their nobody in her life to tell her she's being a dick? That's before you get to thinking about the thin ice she striding onto, shouting like a hysterical Avon lady.
Sounds like her friends are just enabling it all. Perhaps there's some schadenfreude at play

Reactions: 2
I have sensitive eyes & if I use regular moisturisers they go puffy - eye creams tend to have lighter formulations & aren’t fragranced so are better tolerated. Just sayin’...

Reactions: 8
Same. Last night I went through Instagram and deleted all but a couple of influencers, and awoke to a refreshing and genuinely interesting feed that wasn't force-feeding me crap I didn't need or making me feel crap myself

Sounds like her friends are just enabling it all. Perhaps there's some schadenfreude at play
I think they are all so removed from reality that I’m sure they don’t know how the real world works outside of their blue tick bubble. I know that if I was behaving oddly then my friends would be like ‘wtf, stop acting like a dick and give your head a wobble’

Reactions: 6
The Lauren Luke episode is a good example of how media works. SH could openly pitch for the column and deride LL on twitter and encourage a pile on because Lauren isn’t connected in the way many are in the industry. Lauren was a wildebeest Sali could first wound then successfully cleave from the herd. No chance of anyone doing that to, for example, India Knight what with step-father being Chair of The Times (or whatever his lofty position is)
This in droves.

A newspaper once did a feature on a fetishy-type nightclub where a friend had been photographed. He used to work for a couple of broadsheets in his time, so made a quick telephone-call to someone who worked at said newspaper, and poof, the photo was taken down from the website.

Another example was in his line of work, a paper was about to release a story on an issue they had been working on which had almost reached its conclusion. They did not need the publicity at that point, so a quick phone-call to said paper and the story was pulled.

SH has her feet under the table at the Guardian, and knows it. Even if she's replaced, can you imagine the likes of India and Caroline storming to her defence: "Just read the new beauty piece, not a match to our Hughes."

• Sick
Reactions: 7
Same. Last night I went through Instagram and deleted all but a couple of influencers, and awoke to a refreshing and genuinely interesting feed that wasn't force-feeding me crap I didn't need or making me feel crap myself
Right? We don’t *have* to follow these people with their fake lives, fake friends and cleverly hidden #ads
Maybe I’m too long in the tooth, but I can see right through them and I’m sad that are people who can’t, for whatever reason.

• Heart
I did this a while back. Very nice!

Reactions: 3
Looking at latest IG. Her hair truly doesn't suit her long and straight like that. It's very drab. (NB: THIS IS AN OPINION ON A PUBLIC FIGURE AND NOT DefAMatIOn 🤪)

• Haha
Skincare mentionitis: Augustinus Bader products doing the rounds on my feed, it was also in Funmi Fetto's Guardian piece recently (unfollowed both, but at least one put #ad), wondering if any of you have noticed specific products being pushed?

Speaking of Funmi, I appreciate her candour here:

The question is: “How much is too much to spend?” Well, it depends on what it is; no one needs to spend three figures on a cleanser. Also, how unique is the formulation? Personally, I have found the rigorous research and exquisite formulas in Japanese beauty brands, such as Shiseido, manifest into the best skin I’ve ever had.

And, finally, what’s your bank saying? Don’t start a skincare regime you can’t afford.
I’ve seen Augustinus Bader a lot in the last six months , it’s horribly expensive but taps into that part of my brain that makes me think it’ll knock 10 years off my face . I then give myself an imaginary slap of that very face and remind myself IT’S ALL BOLLOCKS and subtle marketing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Hello! Nice to have you here. I draw comfort from anyone who came to the thread after Freaky Friday and found it was misrepresented. Makes me feel at least I’m not deluded.
I draw comfort from the fact that way back on Freaky Friday, she was railing hysterically against a small handful of people. But due to her own lies and histrionics brought about by her arrogance and narcissism, this group has grown exponentially.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I draw comfort from the fact that way back on Freaky Friday, she was railing hysterically against a small handful of people. But due to her own lies, and histrionics brought about by her arrogance and narcissism, this group has grown exponentially.
And ... she's just done it again. Why does she keep directing traffic here, I wonder?

I never knew of this site's existence until that Friday. I read through all the threads from the beginning, nodding along as they gave voice to thoughts I'd had for ages

Reactions: 13
Looking at latest IG. Her hair truly doesn't suit her long and straight like that. It's very drab. (NB: THIS IS AN OPINION ON A PUBLIC FIGURE AND NOT DefAMatIOn 🤪)
"This court is now in session. The People vs Sali Hughes' hair"

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.