Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Mselvista[/USER] quotes above continues, with the commenter saying: '...I absolutely agree with you about privacy issues but I thought you wouldn't mind answering my question because you already reveled same things about your beauty procedures. I think there was another thing that influenced me not to think about your privacy like I would if it was not you but an ordinary (I don't think this in a insulting way) woman. I'm a lawyer and in law the standards of privacy for a public, famous person (like you in the field of beauty) aren't as high as standards for a non public person. Maybe it sounds strange but the logic behind this it that a public person who choose to speak and reach many people (like you do as a writer in the field of beauty) is renouncing to some degree of privacy in the field she/he is publicly active.'

To this SH replied simply: 'I’m not convinced legality is an issue here tbh.'

I don't think the commenter was suggesting that there was a legal issue, but simply making the point that a different standard applies to SH because of the field in which she is publicly active (and in which she positions herself as an advocate for honesty).
The comment is clearly not about legality, Sali's reading comprehension is questionable. And all those poor women have to sandwich a legitimate question between compliments, so that Sali doesn't take it the wrong way. But she does. Every time. Even if one writes: Dear Sali, you are the single most important feminist icon since the bones of suffragettes were trampled under horse carriages, your tastes surpasses that of Coco (pre-collaborationist days), I just wanted to ask about botox/hair colour/whatever. I bought all your books and follow you religiously on every possible platform. Thank you so much for everything you are doing for us out of sheer altruism. And they don't even get a Sx.

Also, I loved how, when presenting CH not-Advent Advent calendar, she said something to the effect that you can buy the items individually, if you don't need a whole routine. Well, who would have thought of such a thing? Buying just what you currently need?!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
The comment is clearly not about legality, Sali's reading comprehension is questionable. And all those poor women have to sandwich a legitimate question between compliments, so that Sali doesn't take it the wrong way. But she does. Every time. Even if one writes: Dear Sali, you are the single most important feminist icon since the bones of suffragettes were trampled under horse carriages, your tastes surpasses that of Coco (pre-collaborationist days), I just wanted to ask about botox/hair colour/whatever. I bought all your books and follow you religiously on every possible platform. Thank you so much for everything you are doing for us out of sheer altruism. And they don't even get a Sx.

Also, I loved how, when presenting CH not-Advent Advent calendar, she said something to the effect that you can buy the items individually, if you don't need a whole routine. Well, who would have thought of such a thing? Buying just what you currently need?!
This attitude of 'find the irrelevant thing you can focus on to avoid the pertinent issue ' is really becoming a strategy; I think it's way more disingenuous than a comprehension ability; it reads more like a calculated approach to construct a narrative of victimhood.

Reactions: 11
I agree with the calculated narrative of her statements, but I also think that she sometimes misses the point of a question due to paranoia and gets needlessly deffensive.

Reactions: 4
This attitude of 'find the irrelevant thing you can focus on to avoid the pertinent issue ' is really becoming a strategy; I think it's way more disingenuous than a comprehension ability; it reads more like a calculated approach to construct a narrative of victimhood.
Bang on.

See Caroline Hirons’ thread for a blatant example. No she wasn’t on QVC plugging a product (Altrient) under the guise of being an independent industry expert when she was really being paid by Altrient to promote them. Not the wrong tv show! No idea what you’re talking about! (Spoiler: it was This Morning).

Reactions: 6
It's like when someone is losing an argument and latches on a spelling mistake turning it into a triumphant proof of their point.

It's like when someone is losing an argument and latches on a spelling mistake turning it into a triumphant proof of their point.
Or when someone hijacks a thread about eczema to focus on a word they don't like because it's better to do that than to, you know, try to understand or help someone.

I was pleased in a way to see SH back on Instagram this week. Not that I was breathlessly awaiting her opinion on the CH kit or to know what she had for dinner but I was glad to see that she had recovered from the upset. I do think the Friday video was a shameless piece of get-your-retaliation-in-first media manipulation but I'm sure the upset was genuine and I don't wish her ill.

I think she does need to re-evaluate what it means to be an honest beauty journalist/influencer. As said upthread, the goalposts have move significantly since she started out. What seemed to be her definition of honesty (I won't say I like a product if I don't) is no longer good enough given her multiple connections with brands, her own use of cosmetic procedures and how readers' and consumers' expectations have changed.

I think she also needs to take Suzanne Moore's advice and find a way of coming to terms with the questioning and criticism - and, in some cases, hate and abuse - that comes with being a writer, particularly these days. In the Guardian recently Suzanne wrote about how young women aspiring to be journalists are held back by 'this dreadful need to be liked'. She says 'I wouldn't advise anyone who wants to be liked to write for a living'.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I was pleased in a way to see SH back on Instagram this week. Not that I was breathlessly awaiting her opinion on the CH kit or to know what she had for dinner but I was glad to see that she had recovered from the upset. I do think the Friday video was a shameless piece of get-your-retaliation-in-first media manipulation but I'm sure the upset was genuine and I don't wish her ill.

I think she does need to re-evaluate what it means to be an honest beauty journalist/influencer. As said upthread, the goalposts have move significantly since she started out. What seemed to be her definition of honesty (I won't say I like a product if I don't) is no longer good enough given her multiple connections with brands, her own use of cosmetic procedures and how readers' and consumers' expectations have changed.

I think she also needs to take Suzanne Moore's advice and find a way of coming terms with the questioning and criticism - and, in some cases, hate and abuse - that comes with being a writer, particularly these days. In the Guardian recently Suzanne wrote about how young women aspiring to be journalists are held back by 'this dreadful need to be liked'. She says 'I wouldn't advise anyone who wants to be liked to write for a living'.
I don't understand this constant need to be liked! Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm in my 50s and I long ago realised it's completely unrealistic to like and be liked by everyone we encounter in life. Everyone likes or dislikes different things or people, influenced by our experiences as we grow up and evolve and, as we all have different experiences, we all end up with our own unique set of preferences. I have met many people in life who I haven't liked, or who haven't liked me, and that's absolutely fine, I can live with that quite comfortably. As long as people are polite and courteous to one another I don't see an issue; it's only when people are unable to maintain a level of civil interaction that problems arise and I think social media has, sadly, done a lot to undermine some people's understanding of what is unacceptable behaviour and what isn't - for instance, I found a lot of the language used by Sali and some of her followers in her recent rant session utterly inexcusable and revolting. I bet these people wouldn't dare speak to someone face to face in such a manner, but from the distance created by social media they seem to think it's OK. It's not OK, and I think it says an awful lot as to the true nature of some of these people.

Reactions: 16
I can respect a position of ‘if I don’t like a product I won’t mention it’. (I would say Nadine Baggott is a classic of this approach).

SH seems to have left that ball park years ago, with inconsistencies too many to mention here - saying she’s loved something for years but never previously mentioning it, saying a relatively new product is an old favourite, thinking it’s ok to interpret “do you dye your hair” as “is your hair dyed by your own hands using supermarket dye”... the backflipping and bullshit is outrageous and well documented in these threads.

And I have never had the impression she wants to be liked. I think she’s perfectly happy not being liked and in a way quite enjoys it. What she wants is to not be questioned.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think she also needs to take Suzanne Moore's advice and find a way of coming to terms with the questioning and criticism - and, in some cases, hate and abuse - that comes with being a writer, particularly these days. In the Guardian recently Suzanne wrote about how young women aspiring to be journalists are held back by 'this dreadful need to be liked'. She says 'I wouldn't advise anyone who wants to be liked to write for a living'.
The classic Ros from Spooks line "if I wanted people to like me, I would have become a vet"

Reactions: 3
I think what’s more important to her than being liked is setting her self apart and elevating herself above people. Always having the upper hand. That’s far more important to her, or any card-carrying narcissist.

Being liked is not the cool girl ethos.

To clarify - we shouldn't make it a priority (or be bothered at all, to be frank) and this is a whole issue women commonly encounter, but this was more in the vain of what @Handmaid wrote above.

Reactions: 1
Because when someone puts hot food free or not down I’m front of you The Most Important Thing is Photgraph it? Not eat it? Wow you’ve never known hunger, hey Hughes?
she was a homeless, waif, street urchin doncha know?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
While I don't wish her ill either, I really can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. She had it coming to put it simply, she's brought it all on herself and has no one to blame for it.

I feel sorry for parents who are struggling to feed their kids, for people who battle health conditions and have their benefits cut, for people who are losing everything in war zones. Feeling sorry for Sally "pretty dishonest" Hughes? Nah.
(Sorry, I'm not having a pop at you, just stressing the fact that I can't bring myself to have any sympathy for her even if I wanted to, not after all the lying, bullying and deceiving came out)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
While I don't wish her ill either, I really can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. She had it coming to put it simply, she's brought it all on herself and has no one to blame for it.

I feel sorry for parents who are struggling to feed their kids, for people who battle health conditions and have their benefits cut, for people who are losing everything in war zones. Feeling sorry for Sally "pretty dishonest" Hughes? Nah.
(Sorry, I'm not having a pop at you, just stressing the fact that I can't bring myself to have any sympathy for her even if I wanted to, not after all the lying, bullying and deceiving came out)
100% what you said here. Don’t wish ill on anyone, that’s just not me, but Sali is just reaping what she has sewn. Karma catch-up. She is an absolute fraud.

There are better, nicer people out there doing what she does with a bit more transparency. People who are genuinely upfront about their tweaks and dilutes and the fact they are schilling.

Reactions: 8
Bang on.

See Caroline Hirons’ thread for a blatant example. No she wasn’t on QVC plugging a product (Altrient) under the guise of being an independent industry expert when she was really being paid by Altrient to promote them. Not the wrong tv show! No idea what you’re talking about! (Spoiler: it was This Morning).
It's a familiar strategy for people on the defensive trying to distract from what they're really up to; ultimately it's the same kind of sleight-of-hand strategy people like Derren Brown and stage illusionists use. Look at this! THIS! No, OVER HERE!!! That kind of thing.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.