Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just saw she is reviewing Hirons £290 kit. I'm being dim probably but was she given that? Is it included in #presssample tag? If Hirons hadn't given so many away to people who just don't bloody need them (Pixiwoos? Stacey Solomon?) they might not be so ridiculously expensive (though I see SH calls it a saving in the minute I watched). Also why review it anyway as it sold out sort of immediately?

Reactions: 7
You really aren't the only one by a long way. I read the mumsnet threads about SH video (while they were up) and a lot of people on there commented how the most surprising thing about it was her saying she had Botox. Others saying they assumed she had but didn't know for sure. I think a lot of us here were sort of asking ourselves if we had missed her declarations in the past. We can't all have had collective amnesia and like you say googling is throwing up no proof. It all points to her just not saying it. Talking about it, recommending doctors (which tbf I saw her do) isn't the same as being open about her own use.
And that’s the real reason people like her loathe (;)) forums like this, they want to make up their truth as they go along and retrospectively change it to suit without any questions. They deeply resent the basic accountability here.

And to think before That Friday there was only 14 people she believed had a problem with her.

On the veggie/plant based book - yes I believe it could well be the case although I wonder if it would be more assured to go ahead if her Queen book had done better? There are so many plant based books around at the moment, I can’t imagine one from her having any cut-through. What would her angle be? She doesn’t have the personality or warmth of Ferne or Rachel Ama or the knowledge/execution of someone like Anna Jones. She hates wellness/clean eating like Amelia Freer and the “if I can go veggie anyone can” has been done to death too. Maybe there is a charity angle through beauty banks, like what jack Monroe did with her tin can cookbook where you could buy one and donate one copy to a food bank.

Reactions: 6
I definitely think a lot of it is skincare - but NOT the skincare influencers recommend. I’m almost sure tretinoin is to thank. It’s a few pounds and it has oodles of research behind it.
See Hot and Flashy YouTube for really helpful info about tweakments. She’s honest and actually informative.

Speaking of research/evidence, I think that’s another area where the influencer culture has fostered a lack of transparency. Lots of the claims about products aren’t backed by anything like hard evidence.

When that is coupled with brand relationships it means that the person in question is literally a billboard embodied whilst pretending not to be. Pretending not to sell when you are selling is lying.

I am trying to think of how consumers could be protected from this, especially because a lot of us do want to be beautiful and most of us don’t have unlimited funds. If I did have unlimited funds I’d rather spend them on charitable donations than piles of landfill and Charlotte Tilbury’s retirement fund.

One way would be to state all brand relationships upfront, ie in IG bio.
One way would be to comply with the law and state things clearly in each post
One way would be to have a third party website which collated all Influencer brand partnerships so consumers could refer to it to see who has or does work with which companies.

I noticed on SH IG today that someone commented why should she have to state she bought her dress! It’s her dress and it’s nobody’s business! Another commenter agreed and said it’s a waste of poor Sali’s time. It’s this fuss that really worries me. People actually seem to believe that demanding transparency is some kind of weird conspiracy theory put forward by bitter, nasty creeps who hate everyone.

I actually really love people and in my day to day life I deal with people who are far less fortunate than the SH demographic. That gives me a good window into vulnerability and how quickly life can change and how often women are the ones who hold things together. Far from wanting to tear women down, all I want is for other prominent women to stop publicly belittling women and to stop dishonestly selling them things which frankly do not work.

I’m sorry for the long post - the complaints from followers that she should not need to declare when her own items are bought tipped me over the edge!!

I think a great initiative would be an estee laundry-adjacent website which stated well known influencers and known brand relationships plus possibly listing influencers who were approached to disclose but declined. Not to ruin their career!!! As a resource for busy people to understand when they’re being given impartial advice compared to when they’re being sold to.
I think the problem is that the "influenced" are now so suspicious that they wonder about everything, and it's almost become a farce in terms of over-eager declarations. She's wearing a dress - did she pay for the dress, or was it #gifted? I think that if all of them played by the rules and simply were upfront about where there are commercial relationships, it wouldn't be necessary. It comes across slightly aggressively, and like they are taking the piss. (Weirdly I have that spotty Warehouse dress she had on the other day, AND the green Topshop leopard one she wears. I was not influenced by her in any way!)

WTF does Sali bleeping Hughes know about vegetarianism or plant-based eating???! She claims to be a veggie but is always scoffing effing Parmesan. This from a few days ago on her IG:

Sali, love, parmesan isn’t veggie. It’s made with effing rennet.

Attachments

Last edited:
I know, she’s always eating Parmesan and (non-veggie) Haribo. Magnums too (also not veggie). She’d better not write a flipping book on that basis.

Reactions: 2
WTF does Sali bleeping Hughes know about vegetarianism or plant-based eating???! She claims to be a veggie but is always scoffing effing Parmesan. This from a few days ago on her IG:

Sali, love, parmesan isn’t veggie. It’s made with effing rennet.

was just guessing about the book, you know how she goes all expert on whatever takes her fancy that day. Shoehorning herself into a new genre would totally be her way. Bit like IK having a beauty column. Like a subject? Carve yourself a career with zero knowledge of the subject matter.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
She's just replied "nope" to a comment on her latest pic.(very recent). But I can't see the comment she replied to - anyone know?

I think she meant “Thank you! What a nice thing to say. No, somebody else dyes it for me”.

Rude bleeping witch.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Erm...

I'm going grey and I'm not keen.

From 2015...

Reactions: 2
Sorry, I've just had to come over her to vent some what the actual duck about a thread I've just watched developing on GTL about the word '****' which someone used in relation to themselves as someone with a disability. It all kicked off as a result because some people said you couldn't use a word like that in any circumstances. Looks like they'e been kicked out. Humourless much?

I use a root spray.

I remember that article because I was interested - I use root spray when I'm nearing my appointment and I've been 70% grey for a long time so it was of genuine interest to me. It's dye-ing maintenance for me.

The 1st mention I can find is under an IG post about Magda Archer from 08/02/18 in response to a query. She uses the rather wriggley "I've had Botox in the past and will again". As Botox is done every 6 monyhs or so it's always going to be something that's that someone's had "in the past".
The next one I could find is under the video on IG video of her and D Maier in a taxi from April this year. Note how the "troll" is said to comment on SH's children and marriage just like we have been accused of. Also if it's known she has Botox why is soneone making a comment about her having Botox unkind or a troll? (Obvs don't know what other BlobFishy has made on past. They may be a terrible troll just like what we is)
And then I think it was mentioned in the podcast.
Each time she's mentioned it, she's apparently already revealed it in several articles which no one here is able to find a trace of which given we're made up of former fans and (let's be honest) hate-followers is really rather remarkable.
Edit: forgot to attach the bloody comments I'm referring to
I'd be inclined to argue that posting close-up pictures of your face alongside descriptions of the skincare and make-up products used, without acknowledging the use of cosmetic procedures, is in effect making 'dishonest claims about a product being responsible for results actually achieved by surgical or non-surgical procedures'.

Does SH really not appreciate that her role as a beauty journalist/influencer/'skin care guru' and, more specifically, the extensive use of photos of her own face to illustrate her recommendations and advice, mean that she can't reasonably claim the same right to privacy in this regard as other women?

Apparently not. The IG exchange that @Mselvista quotes above continues, with the commenter saying: '...I absolutely agree with you about privacy issues but I thought you wouldn't mind answering my question because you already reveled same things about your beauty procedures. I think there was another thing that influenced me not to think about your privacy like I would if it was not you but an ordinary (I don't think this in a insulting way) woman. I'm a lawyer and in law the standards of privacy for a public, famous person (like you in the field of beauty) aren't as high as standards for a non public person. Maybe it sounds strange but the logic behind this it that a public person who choose to speak and reach many people (like you do as a writer in the field of beauty) is renouncing to some degree of privacy in the field she/he is publicly active.'

To this SH replied simply: 'I’m not convinced legality is an issue here tbh.'

I don't think the commenter was suggesting that there was a legal issue, but simply making the point that a different standard applies to SH because of the field in which she is publicly active (and in which she positions herself as an advocate for honesty).

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.