Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I just say regarding the rolex. It’s fine to have one and love it. She however does brandish hers like an 18 year old who has recently got engaged, making sure the ring is seen in every shot.
Yes, this was my issue with it too.

Reactions: 6
I just can’t escape the feeling that SH keeps missing the point about her brand, which is baffling. Engagement is everything, so she doesn't read/reply to her comments, or she is chippy or, more amazingly, switches them off completely. Honesty/integrity is her USP yet she is completely opaque about ads/collabs and tweakments. She wants to be taken seriously as a journalist/writer but cannot take an alternative point of view or even light criticism. Women are the majority of her market, yet she has form for slagging other women not like her off and bullying others. There’s so much cognitive dissonance her head must be on the verge of exploding. Maybe that’s why she is borderline aggressive the whole time.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I just can’t escape the feeling that SH keeps missing the point about her brand, which is baffling. Engagement is everything, so she doesn't read/reply to her comments, or she is chippy or, more amazingly, switches them off completely. Honesty/integrity is her USP yet she is completely opaque about ads/collabs and tweakments. She wants to be taken seriously as a journalist/writer but cannot take an alternative point of view or even light criticism. Women are the majority of her market, yet she has form for slagging other women not like her off and bullying others. There’s so much cognitive dissonance her head must be on the verge of exploding. Maybe that’s why she is borderline aggressive the whole time.
Yes yes and yes. I think one of her problems has definitely been lack of engagement and defensiveness. Her 'oh I never read comments btl as they make me unhappy', her snippy comebacks on Twitter and IG. Even her own FB group she rarely seems to bother with unless it is to ask for questions for her upcoming podcasts. I'm on Caroline Hirons group and although I have issues with her, fair play to her she does bother with that group.

Reactions: 7
And mentioning tweakments once or twice doesn’t let her off the hook - she should disclose it every time she is asked about or promotes an anti-ageing product.
I know SH says that she has in the past mentioned/written about having Botox but, given that most of us are long-term readers and social media followers, I'd have thought that some of us would be able to confirm that if it was indeed the case. The first acknowledgement I saw was in a reply she made to an IG comment earlier this year - i.e. after people here had started remarking on it.

A few years ago I went to a panel discussion about ageing that SH chaired at Selfridges with IK, CH and Pearl Lowe. As there was talk of Botox and SH didn't mention her own experience of it I assumed (as I'm sure others would have) that she didn't use it herself. There's a video however made the same day of a similar discussion where her unusually - it seems to me - smooth brow is clearly evident (and where again she omits to mention any personal use of Botox).

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
It’s just beyond stupid to think she can do this ‘job’ and not mention all the injectables etc she is using- her face IS HER JOB so the idea she can promote‘honesty’ yet ‘no comment’ on the issue is nonsense. What happens to comments if women specifically ask her about Botox for eg, has anyone seen? I suppose they get deleted and dubbed trolls? Perhaps this tension is behind her increasingly bizarre behaviour?

I remember on IG a while ago someone asked her directly about Botox before her 'weak dilute' comment, and she didn't reply (I think???) but other people chipped in with how rude it was to ask and that it was trolling. I agree that she never mentioned her own use of it until relatively recently. She had skipped around it a lot by saying general things like she would never disagree with anyone's right to have it and that you should always chose a good practitioner. I had a brief search through GtL and she never mentioned it there. It's just too handy to say she wrote about it in The Pool as that is now hard to verify. As @Aude described in the panel discussion, her approach seems to have been not owning up to it and not denying it - but that isn't the same as explicitly saying she had had it.

Reactions: 3
I've been reading her stuff for years (GTL, the Pool, Guardian) and the first mention of Botox I remember was on her podcast where Botox was specifically mentioned.

Her skin is gleaming and extraordinarily smooth , you don’t achieve it with Japanfusion cleanser , Pat McGrath foundation and Estée Lauder ANR.

Botox.
Fillers.
Lasers.

Btw Sali, Katie-Jane Hughes has been using Future Dew as a cosmetic for a while, it’s not new or revolutionary.

Most of the women writers I like and follow on Twitter - such as Nigella - tweeted support for Sali after her video/tweets that Friday. I interpreted it as an instinctive gesture of support for a person who was visibly upset rather than, necessarily, an endorsement of her portrayal of the Tattle Life comments.

Anyone who came here - as I did - to understand what had caused such upset would have found that it was not quite the way Sali had described it.
I've asked quite a few people if they'd read these threads before the wave of sympathy. Nope- just took it on face value.

Sali, I have just watched your IG video: for the love of G-d, would you please brush your damn hair??! Jaysus!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
It strikes me as puerile all this "and I bought it" she's started putting in her descriptions. For every mention just put (bought) or (gifted) without making a bigger deal than it needs to be. Doesn't need attention that she's started showcasing some things that she didn't get for free. She could still have bought it with a 90% press discount 🤷‍♀️

1572264098684.png

Reactions: 11
It strikes me as puerile all this "and I bought it" she's started putting in her descriptions. For every mention just put (bought) or (gifted) without making a bigger deal than it needs to be. Doesn't need attention that she's started showcasing some things that she didn't get for free. She could still have bought it with a 90% press discount 🤷‍♀️

View attachment 52593
Yep. Again, its her whole chippy tone. Because some people have the audacity to wonder what's been bought and what's not.

Last edited:

View attachment 52593
Every time she does I bought it, I start singing destiny’s child.
“The jumper on my back - I bought it
The Rolex on my wrist - I bought it
The tiles in my loo - I bought it
Everything else - I never bought it (gifted)”

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Safe to presume it’s all heavily discounted because you just know she would say “I bought it at full price” if that was the case, because she is at that level of pettiness now.

Reactions: 9
Do you respond like that - making a thing of clarity - if no valid points were made here or there in the midst of it all. It reads pass ag but most of the writing does if you're in a Here frame of mind

I was a pretty close follower in articles and various online platforms and I honestly felt so naive when I read about the Botox HERE and here only. Can I have really missed it in the columns? And Googling when I did cop on provided no results - The Pool article disappearance not withstanding. But that was 1 article anyway - a bit hit or miss that everyone would read it as it had a particular demographic I think.

Ultimately I just felt like such a dummy believing it was about skincare applications.

Last edited:
Do you respond like that - making a thing of clarity - if no valid points were made here or there in the midst of it all. It reads pass ag but most of the writing does if you're in a Here frame of mind

I was a pretty close follower in articles and various online platforms and I honestly felt so naive when I read about the Botox HERE and here only. Can I have really missed it in the columns? And Googling when I did cop on provided no results - The Pool article disappearance not withstanding. But that was 1 article anyway - a bit hit or miss that everyone would read it as it had a particular demographic I think.

Ultimately I just felt like such a dummy believing it was about skincare applications.
You really aren't the only one by a long way. I read the mumsnet threads about SH video (while they were up) and a lot of people on there commented how the most surprising thing about it was her saying she had Botox. Others saying they assumed she had but didn't know for sure. I think a lot of us here were sort of asking ourselves if we had missed her declarations in the past. We can't all have had collective amnesia and like you say googling is throwing up no proof. It all points to her just not saying it. Talking about it, recommending doctors (which tbf I saw her do) isn't the same as being open about her own use.

I definitely think a lot of it is skincare - but NOT the skincare influencers recommend. I’m almost sure tretinoin is to thank. It’s a few pounds and it has oodles of research behind it.
See Hot and Flashy YouTube for really helpful info about tweakments. She’s honest and actually informative.

Speaking of research/evidence, I think that’s another area where the influencer culture has fostered a lack of transparency. Lots of the claims about products aren’t backed by anything like hard evidence.

When that is coupled with brand relationships it means that the person in question is literally a billboard embodied whilst pretending not to be. Pretending not to sell when you are selling is lying.

I am trying to think of how consumers could be protected from this, especially because a lot of us do want to be beautiful and most of us don’t have unlimited funds. If I did have unlimited funds I’d rather spend them on charitable donations than piles of landfill and Charlotte Tilbury’s retirement fund.

One way would be to state all brand relationships upfront, ie in IG bio.
One way would be to comply with the law and state things clearly in each post
One way would be to have a third party website which collated all Influencer brand partnerships so consumers could refer to it to see who has or does work with which companies.

I noticed on SH IG today that someone commented why should she have to state she bought her dress! It’s her dress and it’s nobody’s business! Another commenter agreed and said it’s a waste of poor Sali’s time. It’s this fuss that really worries me. People actually seem to believe that demanding transparency is some kind of weird conspiracy theory put forward by bitter, nasty creeps who hate everyone.

I actually really love people and in my day to day life I deal with people who are far less fortunate than the SH demographic. That gives me a good window into vulnerability and how quickly life can change and how often women are the ones who hold things together. Far from wanting to tear women down, all I want is for other prominent women to stop publicly belittling women and to stop dishonestly selling them things which frankly do not work.

I’m sorry for the long post - the complaints from followers that she should not need to declare when her own items are bought tipped me over the edge!!

I think a great initiative would be an estee laundry-adjacent website which stated well known influencers and known brand relationships plus possibly listing influencers who were approached to disclose but declined. Not to ruin their career!!! As a resource for busy people to understand when they’re being given impartial advice compared to when they’re being sold to.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
The 1st mention I can find is under an IG post about Magda Archer from 08/02/18 in response to a query. She uses the rather wriggley "I've had Botox in the past and will again". As Botox is done every 6 monyhs or so it's always going to be something that's that someone's had "in the past".
The next one I could find is under the video on IG video of her and D Maier in a taxi from April this year. Note how the "troll" is said to comment on SH's children and marriage just like we have been accused of. Also if it's known she has Botox why is soneone making a comment about her having Botox unkind or a troll? (Obvs don't know what other BlobFishy has made on past. They may be a terrible troll just like what we is)
And then I think it was mentioned in the podcast.
Each time she's mentioned it, she's apparently already revealed it in several articles which no one here is able to find a trace of which given we're made up of former fans and (let's be honest) hate-followers is really rather remarkable.
Edit: forgot to attach the bloody comments I'm referring to

Attachments

Last edited:

View attachment 52593
this is Sali, she needs to make EVERYTHING a bigger deal, can almost hear the shrillness in her typed words.

she is possibly having a career crossroads dilemma. She doesn’t have a voice for radio, she isn’t good at all at the videos, her writing is mediocre, she ain’t no author but she furiously doesn’t want a Hirons/Pixiwoo type career. I’m sure she dropped the ‘Beauty’ from her IG name as she had ideas above her station on branching out.

dear god, she is going to do a vegetarian cookbook isn’t she?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.