Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She loathes anything in a pot where you can dip your dirty fingers, so the Nuxe will be off the list

CT has a lip balm, albeit poor reviews, not that has ever stopped Sali

Pat McGrath has a £35 lip balm, price justified by the packaging and 'satisfying click'

• Haha
Reactions: 8
She loathes anything in a pot where you can dip your dirty fingers, so the Nuxe will be off the list

Pat McGrath has a £35 lip balm, price justified by the packaging and 'satisfying click'
I think you've just written it tbh 😂
That 'satisfying click' thing really makes me feel a bit queasy. And £35 for a lip balm? Wtaf.
Oh I bet this column will be one of the ones readers most ask her for.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
That 'satisfying click' thing really makes me feel a bit queasy. And £35 for a lip balm? Wtaf.
Hey up skiddies

£35 for a lip balm is bloody ridiculous, but someone somewhere will buy it!

Talking of stupidly expensive lip balms, anyone remember when By Terry's Baume de Rose was being shilled everywhere?

I got a sample once and it's lovely but the cost... no way.

Reactions: 2
There will be some mention of by terry baume de rose.

Hey up skiddies

£35 for a lip balm is bloody ridiculous, but someone somewhere will buy it!

Talking of stupidly expensive lip balms, anyone remember when By Terry's Baume de Rose was being shilled everywhere?

I got a sample once and it's lovely but the cost... no way.
Snap! More of that stuff must be given away to influencers than sold, surely.

Reactions: 1

It's the kind of thing someone with more money than sense would buy, so yes!

I remember her singing the praises of the much more reasonably priced lanolips as well. I wonder if that will be in there?

It's crazy really. I mean you can get great lip balms in tk maxx/superdrug/boots for less than a fiver!

I’ve gone a bit hysterical at this. You’ve nailed the tone.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Matilda on Video recently got a load of new By Terry products. I generally enjoy her content but the collaborations are beginning to make me feel a bit jaded about her too. She's doing a giveaway, but just looking at the flat lay, there's hundred's of pounds worth of product there.

I’ve gone a bit hysterical at this. You’ve nailed the tone.
Thank you, that'll be 3k :LOL:

• Haha
I'd rather read daily horoscope than a column on stupid lip balms. She should really spend more time thinking about the topics of her weekly ramblings than spying on people. Jesus Christ, we've given you an entire folder of subjects! I expect next week it will be hand creams, then maybe a column "If you are cold, try wearing more clothes".

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Spoiler. SH is doing a column soon on lip balms. For chapped winter lips I think. What can have been loathed for years about a lip balm? There will be something.
Wonder if she will shill balms containing lanolin and beeswax, plenty of balms that are the cult faves in the beauty guru world also belong to companies that animal test. Like I even need to speculate, as she has already done a similar article, La Roche Posay cicaplast, Nuxe, Clinique, Burts bees, lanolips etc here we go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I never post in this thread, just snort at it, but I make my own lip balm: melt a little cocoa butter (same you’d use for cooking), coconut oil, avocado oil and a drop of essential oil of choice if you fancy in a little jar. I tend to Bain Marie it to melt if, gently stir and then pour into an old sterilised Vaseline tin or other small pot. I have all these ingredients handy but you can sub in olive oil, Shea butter etc. I pop it in the fridge to set for quickness.

*sticks two fingers up at la Hughes, Hirons et al*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I never post in this thread, just snort at it, but I make my own lip balm: melt a little cocoa butter (same you’d use for cooking), coconut oil, avocado oil and a drop of essential oil of choice if you fancy in a little jar. I tend to Bain Marie it to melt if, gently stir and then pour into an old sterilised Vaseline tin or other small pot. I have all these ingredients handy but you can sub in olive oil, Shea butter etc. I pop it in the fridge to set for quickness.

*sticks two fingers up at la Hughes, Hirons et al*
Sounds good! I think it would actually be quite nice if the Guardian had a section on DIY beauty instead of just pushing product.

Reactions: 14
Sounds good! I think it would actually be quite nice if the Guardian had a section on DIY beauty instead of just pushing product.
I worked in the higher end of the beauty industry for several years. It’s an endless backslapping and shilling circle. I’ve tried every brand of snake oil going and then some. Once you strip away the constant product flogging there’s not a lot left. I have extremely dry sensitive skin so could only speak for myself, but you shouldn’t need 9000 products for any skin type at all

• Heart
Do you remember that Chanel hand cream in a ‘pebble shaped’ bottle that we were all supposed to rush out and buy (so we could photograph it next to our morning coffee and bullet journal).

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Do you remember that Chanel hand cream in a ‘pebble shaped’ bottle that we were all supposed to rush out and buy (so we could photograph it next to our morning coffee and bullet journal).
Yes! All the influencers were raving about it. And forty-five of your finest pounds. I really resent these people for normalising expensive brands and products, at no additional cost to themselves. I'll be pleased when the bubble bursts

• Heart
Yes! All the influencers were raving about it. And forty-five of your finest pounds. I really resent these people for normalising expensive brands and products, at no additional cost to themselves. I'll be pleased when the bubble bursts
That's it - normalising. Over on Hirons thread I've pointed out a thread on her FB page where she is flogging now just the bag from her kit for £28!!! Someone had the temerity to say it was rip off to which Hirons went postal - called her a rude bleeping witch and to duck off. I kid you not.
What is scary though is the amount of her followers reassuring each other how cheap the bag is and what good value it is egged on by Hirons of course. They are going to keep all sorts of things in this wonder product - gym kit, knitting, er, makeup. You see it is very very special. It is a yellow plastic bag. Madness.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
That's it - normalising. Over on Hirons thread I've pointed out a thread on her FB page where she is flogging now just the bag from her kit for £28!!! Someone had the temerity to say it was rip off to which Hirons went postal - called her a rude bleeping witch and to duck off. I kid you not.
What is scary though is the amount of her followers reassuring each other how cheap the bag is and what good value it is egged on by Hirons of course. They are going to keep all sorts of things in this wonder product - gym kit, knitting, er, makeup. You see it is very very special. It is a yellow plastic bag. Madness.
I honestly can’t bear Hirons. What a nasty piece of work. She needs to go and give her tile grout a good scrub. And her gob whilst she at it.

• Haha
I need to tell you something.

I buy Sisley lip balm.

It's £30+ a pot.

It saved my lips one winter and I can't bear to stop using it incase they shrivel up and crack again.

I also bought clarins lip oil (guess who recommend?) And it's nice. A nice lip gloss. Not a lip saviour as SH had suggested.

ETA - it's £40+, just checked. Help me.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
You what? She's selling a plastic bag for £28??:oops:

I need to tell you something.

I buy Sisley lip balm.

It's £30+ a pot.

It saved my lips one winter and I can't bear to stop using it incase they shrivel up and crack again.

I also bought clarins lip oil (guess who recommend?) And it's nice. A nice lip gloss. Not a lip saviour as SH had suggested.

ETA - it's £40+, just checked. Help me.
Try Blistex Relief Cream, is about 3 quid and it's better than anything I've ever tried on my lips cheap or expensive.

Last edited:
Palmers cocoa butter do a really massive lip balm stick (looks like a stick blush it’s so big) for about a fiver and it lasts months.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.