Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've only recently discovered KJH and then realised that she did a video with SH that people here had mentioned - I could not believe how rude SH was towards her; it was so unprofessional. I think she asked her a question about cleanser or foundation and SH snipped, "Well, I get a lot through my work, don't I?"

It's my pet hate as a response. In my first ever job, one of my bosses didn't show up and I asked a colleague where he was. "He flew to France last night, because his mother died, didn't she." DID SHE? WTF, no I didn't know and when did this become a thing!?
Please could you link to the video? I tried to find it but couldn’t.

Reactions: 1
I've only recently discovered KJH and then realised that she did a video with SH that people here had mentioned - I could not believe how rude SH was towards her; it was so unprofessional. I think she asked her a question about cleanser or foundation and SH snipped, "Well, I get a lot through my work, don't I?"

It's my pet hate as a response. In my first ever job, one of my bosses didn't show up and I asked a colleague where he was. "He flew to France last night, because his mother died, didn't she." DID SHE? WTF, no I didn't know and when did this become a thing!?
SH has an instant dislike of anyone who truly loves what they do, remains humble and curious, and treats everyone with the same respect.

KJH will not forget that encounter. If SH couldn’t even turn it on for the camera can you imagine what it was all like.

And KJH is growing in popularity all the time, because she’s ace. You never know who you’ll meet on your way down...

ETA: and I recall SH didn’t even say thank you to KJH when SH looked in the mirror at the end. And SH thinks she can lecture (at length) to strangers on trains about a lack of manners? It is classic narcissism to think your own rules don’t apply to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I loved the Katy Jane Hughes look on Sali! The pinky one. It was so fresh and different and striking. But not crazy out there. I’d love to have her do my make up!

Reactions: 1

I have a colleague who will answer a question with “isn’t it”, “didn’t I”, “didn’t they” , plopped on at the end. Usually I look blank and say “oh right” .One time I did respond back with “how would I know that, I don’t know your family history”. She looked at me like 😐.

It‘s incredibly annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
No, because then you would need access to a certain platform’s internal IP logs to be able to cross reference. I can’t see FB and Twitter giving that up without a warrant.
No there's a couple of services that buy data from social media that you use on multiple devices and collates them and sells them on. Drawbridge is one of them. Its used for marketing (I used to work in marketing). For example on FB you use your phone and pc and work pc (3 IP's) so Facebook sell those IP's that are linked to one account to Drawbridge. Then Instagram do the same. So a big marketer like Nike would buy the collated IP's from Drawbridge to know that all those IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) belongs to one person. Then if you look at pair of shoes on nike.com it uses all of the IP's assigned (cross-device) to you to bombard you with targetted advertising of that pair of shoes you have been looking at on your phone.

So... theoretically, if a vendor like a beauty brand CT who used a big marketing platform (they do - I think they use Partnerize.com ) had bought IP data they definitely could know which social media accounts those IPs belong too. It would be highly illegal to pass them on to a pal who had a personal grudge against them though. But possible. Definite breach of GDPR.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I’m sorry, this has probably been posted before, but I still can’t believe the completely nonchalant way she describes how she got the gig at the Guardian. She really thinks she deserved a pat on the back for saving the column. And absolutely no mention from her or the interviewer on how the current columnist must have felt having her and, in her own words her ‘celebrity friends’ publicly trash her on Twitter, and consequently losing her her job. And she has the nerve to create a huge fuss over a few ‘normals’ discussing her on a relatively unknown site?! Obviously, in her mind, criticism is only valid when it comes from a blue ticker.
She shouldn't mind at all then that a lot of us think she's had her day at The Guardian and that someone new could do a better job, eh.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
She shouldn't mind at all then that a lot of us think she's had her day at The Guardian and that someone new could do a better job, eh.
Absolutely all of this. She happily tit all over an individual and got her well connected crony to have a word. To then be so blasé about how it happened shows cold hearted ambition and ruthlessness.

Add in her part in the social media bullying of Dawn and Esther and she’s no better than us Tattlers .....and actually we have very good points regarding her honesty and integrity.

Reactions: 8
No there's a couple of services that buy data from social media that you use on multiple devices and collates them and sells them on. Drawbridge is one of them. Its used for marketing (I used to work in marketing). For example on FB you use your phone and pc and work pc (3 IP's) so Facebook sell those IP's that are linked to one account to Drawbridge. Then Instagram do the same. So a big marketer like Nike would buy the collated IP's from Drawbridge to know that all those IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) belongs to one person. Then if you look at pair of shoes on nike.com it uses all of the IP's assigned (cross-device) to you to bombard you with targetted advertising of that pair of shoes you have been looking at on your phone.

So... theoretically, if a vendor like a beauty brand CT who used a big marketing platform (they do - I think they use Partnerize.com ) had bought IP data they definitely could know which social media accounts those IPs belong too. It would be highly illegal to pass them on to a pal who had a personal grudge against them though. But possible. Definite breach of GDPR.
Without getting too techy, facebook and Instagram aren't straight up selling IP addresses to drawbridge. IP addresses are pretty meaningless and just one of hundreds of bits of data spying tech collects. Drawbridge collects data from ADs and cookies dropped with the main purpose of using machine learning to match users across devices to learn more and target campaigns better.

Drawbridge is very adamant that no personal data is collected and it's all anonymised.

Soon it may be impossible for a user to avoid re-viewing the self-same advertising already seen on one piece of kit as he or she moves to and between other devices. Startup company Drawbridge, the brainchild of an ex-Google staffer, has developed a system that matches people across devices the better to serve targeted and re-targeted ads as individuals move between handsets, tablets etc. Martyn Warwick reports.

Advertisers, increasingly concerned that their messages do not get the same exposure and penetration on mobile devices as they do on PCs and TVs are desperate to pursue the consumer across myriad devices and platforms. They want an ad serving system that will target and follow an individual from a desktop device to a laptop, a tablet a smartphone and even to the smart TV in the lounge, living room, den or study at home.

A few companies have already tried to provide such a technology but met with little success, mainly because their solutions were based on siloed data applicable to each targeted device rather than being genuinely cross-platform. And then came Drawbridge, founded by Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan, information scientist and a sometime Admob and Google employee.

Back in May this year Ms. Sivaramakrishnan raised US$6.5 million in primary investment funding from two of California's highest-profile venture capitalists, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sequoia Capital. The money is being spent on what is described on the Drawbridge website as "the first of its kind self-learning targeting and tracking cross-device advertising solution that brings desktop-like targeting to mobile advertising."

Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan says, "Today, targeting in mobile display advertising is more about the device than the audience behind it. Consumers now have multiple touch points across various screens. We want to leverage this emerging user behavior and unlock the power of cross-device data to impact targeting in mobile. The Drawbridge platform makes it possible to understand behavior on any device and use those insights to effectively reach mobile audiences."

Underpinning the new system is a mature technology - the cookie, or the latest iteration of them, including that elusive item, the mobile equivalent of a cookie.
Advertisement
They will power what the Drawbridge blurb refers to as a "unique approach built on a foundation of large-scale machine learning algorithms that correlate audience behavior across screens".

What is special (and perhaps scary) about Drawbridge is that it can link a person back to a particular, individually identifiable device rather than just targeting a mobile user by device type. Apps across iOS and Android don’t work on or even register the concept of a cookie, so Drawbridge uses the desktop cookie and, via complex statistical algorithms matches to different devices and form a kind of virtual bridge across which to serve re-targeted ads.

Apparently this technology "allows Drawbridge to draw from vast amounts of anonymous cross-device data to achieve extraordinary precision and granularity. This creates a more relevant and personalized experience for users, improved ROI for advertisers, and better monetization for publishers."

What this means is that a massive database gathers information from an individual's different comms devices and website visits and constructs what is claimed by the company to be a secure profile of a user by monitoring the browser type and device in use and the amount of time spent on different websites.

The company further claims that the data held (and which is added to every millisecond) is entirely anonymised and contains no login details, names, location data or any other private information. Drawbridge reckons that its system is so sophisticated and failsafe that an individual's habits and behaviour on the web are all that it needs to construct a profile and target and re-target him or her very precisely and to track that person across different platforms/devices .

Drawbridge claims that in beta testing with more than 50 companies (including gaming, ecommerce, media and travel sites) it has created profiles "connecting 200 million users". It adds that the number is rising by four million a day and test results show that ad campaigns using the Drawbridge system get between three and ten times the consumer response garnered by traditional online ads.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I recall reading in the comments under the KJH make up tutorial on SH's feed someone saying they weren'tkeen on the look. SH was extremely diplomatic to be fair to her but reading between the lines she hadn't liked it, no.

I no longer follow SH in any platform. I had quite a purge of Internet beauty world when I realised my naivety had been costing me.

On a similar note I watched Sali Hughes introduce us to her perfumes once and couldn't stop laughing at her awful french pronunciation. I wouldn't expect the average Brit to be able to pronounce words in French but to film yourself and share yourself unable to say the names of your "long standing favourite" scents is just amateur.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

The KJH video with SH was very uncomfortable to watch. Compared to the one K did with Anna Edit on YT. The one with Anna looked a lot of fun with Anna being chatty, enthusiastic and knowledgeable in a good way. Even if SH hadn't liked the end result you would think she would say thank you and find something to be complimentary about eg 'I loved the way you did the blusher'. Common courtesy. Plus it makes it so much more enjoyable for the viewer. I get the impression S doesn't ever want to ever really learn anything new from these people, just show them how much she already knows, be the authority.

Ive been lurking here since *that* Friday. Ive been a hate follower of Salis for a while because of complicated reasons but there were two things that I could never get over.

1) shes vegetarian but shills so much non CF stuff. I noted the slightly sniffy "all are cruelty free" at the end of this weeks column which read, to me at least, in the similar tone to "i paid, obvs". Like she was forced to do it.
2) a few years ago, in a quickly deleted post, she took to twitter to complain in a very vague posting way against a woman who had accused a male friend of hers of some serious emotional abuse. Her mates all jumped in saying whats wrong, whats going on and all she could say was that people shouldnt be able to post mean stuff on the internet. (👀). Anyway, another woman came forward and claimed the same thing and eventually the man (cant remember who) basically admitted he was a complete tit. All that resulted was some quickly deleted tweets. Im afraid it was a few years ago and all very quick so my memory isnt great but I found the whole thing very telling.

*Shuttles back off*

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Sal’s very quiet about the CEW awards last night. No congratulations for Charlotte or Caroline?

Reactions: 2
Ive been lurking here since *that* Friday. Ive been a hate follower of Salis for a while because of complicated reasons but there were two things that I could never get over.

1) shes vegetarian but shills so much non CF stuff. I noted the slightly sniffy "all are cruelty free" at the end of this weeks column which read, to me at least, in the similar tone to "i paid, obvs". Like she was forced to do it.
2) a few years ago, in a quickly deleted post, she took to twitter to complain in a very vague posting way against a woman who had accused a male friend of hers of some serious emotional abuse. Her mates all jumped in saying whats wrong, whats going on and all she could say was that people shouldnt be able to post mean stuff on the internet. (👀). Anyway, another woman came forward and claimed the same thing and eventually the man (cant remember who) basically admitted he was a complete tit. All that resulted was some quickly deleted tweets. Im afraid it was a few years ago and all very quick so my memory isnt great but I found the whole thing very telling.

*Shuttles back off*
Welcome :)

Lena Dunham behaved similarly a few years ago https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11...man-lying-rape-murray-miller-aurora-perrineau

Why is it so difficult for some people to realise that just because someone is nice *to them*, it doesn’t mean they are a good person? Why wouldn’t you just reserve judgement if a woman is speaking out? Just hold your tongue for a hot minute?

In the recent series Unbelievable (it’s very very good) there is a line: “no one ever accused a robbery victim of lying”.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It's such a wierd thing to take to Twitter about anyway isn't it? Surely it wouldn't help any of the parties concerned but would just ratchet up tension. And oh dear the don't post mean stuff on the internet 😂 . Oh deary me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
a few years ago, in a quickly deleted post, she took to twitter to complain in a very vague posting way against a woman who had accused a male friend of hers of some serious emotional abuse. Her mates all jumped in saying whats wrong, whats going on and all she could say was that people shouldnt be able to post mean stuff on the internet. (👀). Anyway, another woman came forward and claimed the same thing and eventually the man (cant remember who) basically admitted he was a complete tit. All that resulted was some quickly deleted tweets. Im afraid it was a few years ago and all very quick so my memory isnt great but I found the whole thing very telling.

*Shuttles back off*
I'm not sure if this is the same occasion but I remember seeing SH tell someone who tweeted her directly "duck off, nutjob" or possibly nutbag. That was literally SH's 1st tweet to this person who was asking SH to speak to a male friend on her behalf. After seeing that I obviously followed subsequent tweets very closely because I am a nosey cow and there wasn't much going on in my sewer that evening.
After that opening greeting SH's attitude gradually changed and SH was actually quite nice to this stranger as it became clear she had obviously been treated like tit by a very good friend of SH's and been led to believe that there was a chance of a relationship or possibly that he loved her. I seem to remember the stranger was French or lived in France. Whatever had happened had taken place over webcam but this woman seemed heart broken and set up a specific twitter account to try to make contact with him and and contacted SH after being repeatedly ignored.

I can't remember anyone else getting involved in the conversation I saw so perhaps SH has lots of crappy male friends. This was over 5 years ago and I think it was a Saturday night.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Welcome :)

Lena Dunham behaved similarly a few years ago https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11...man-lying-rape-murray-miller-aurora-perrineau

Why is it so difficult for some people to realise that just because someone is nice *to them*, it doesn’t mean they are a good person? Why wouldn’t you just reserve judgement if a woman is speaking out? Just hold your tongue for a hot minute?

In the recent series Unbelievable (it’s very very good) there is a line: “no one ever accused a robbery victim of lying”.
Bit ironic then that SH tweeted about Unbelievable saying that it, "is very, very good and necessary." Unless it taught her something. Lena Dunham admitted she lied over that rape case. The letter of apology she wrote to the alleged victim was nauseating. LD is vile in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.