Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s all shocking and not enough has been made of it. I remember when a freelancer (can’t recall who) reluctantly spoke out on twitter about non-payment and SB happily dropped newly-appointed Cate Sevilla in it, vaguely insinuating it was due to poor processes but now Cate was in position it would all get sorted. The nerve.

Poor Cate - afaik she had no idea and I can’t imagine anyone would take that job if the facts were even hinted at, let alone known.
Yes I remember that freelancer tweeting. Must've taken some nerve on her part as mentioned above I'm sure she worried about getting a reputation as a troublemaker. It has all been quite glossed over.
I still haven't seen that vid - did SH really mention The Pool? What a curious thing to focus on as I hardly remember anyone talking about it much here. I suppose she felt on safe ground bringing it up as she too had suffered at it closing. Don't laugh.

Reactions: 3
Sorry if this has already been posted but how the hell can editors not have any idea that their publication is going through a shitstorm like what happened to the Pool?
This is why the gif "Sure, Jan" is used so much. Nobody knew, but some left just in time, insert overused gif.

Reactions: 2
someone should've pointed out they needed to expand their target audience. I'm probably slightly who it was aimed at yet felt completely excluded and alienated most of the time. I absolutely hated the 'we're all in this together and all think the same way' attitude eg 'Women We Love'. So bloody smug.
Yes, absolutely. It always came across as being quite a niche project. I remember when it was just in its infancy and Sam Baker et all were doing some research, Sali put out the word on the forum about the project looking for volunteers/guinea pigs. I was one of the people who got in touch with Sam Baker, and I had to tell her a little about myself. Sam got back in touch (I still have the email) and told me that thanks, but no thanks - I wasn’t what they were looking for!! It wasn’t a job interview ffs! It was fucked from day one by the sounds of it. Quite right too.

Word to the wide, Salinistas - #WhiteFeminism is not a profitable anymore and you WILL get bitten in the ass!

(Side note - when I was typing out Salinistas on my phone, Stalin came up as a word option in autocorrect!! Quite appropriate when you think about it! 😂)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
SH mentioned the £7k owed as a result of The Pool folding in her vid. That’s fair enough, no one should go without being paid for work they’ve done. However, it would be more interesting to know what this quantifies in terms of articles, working hours spent to research and write them, to be able to say if this is a massive loss of earnings or simply The Pool paid incredibly well per article. If I recall on average each article took 3-4 mins to read.

Honestly the whole influencer/ online media world is fascinating. IMO the biggest losers from it all has been the admirable profession of in-depth journalism, vastly diluted by self-proclaimed authors and writers often creating brands of themselves. And us, the readers, who are the consumers of half-truths written with very little research or insight of the topics discussed.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What interests me most about the whole SH debacle is how much she has invaded the privacy of her own children whilst accusing others of doing the same.

I remember when she discussed her son's hypospadias online. Yes, she discussed her own son's genitalia with millions of people. I cannot believe that at the age he was then, proper, informed consent from him -for this disclosure-was possible. Yes, there is an argument that to discuss such things publicly is to reduce stigma and increase awareness but these are public conversations that he and only he has the right to instigate and at an age when he can fully understand the impact of such a disclosure.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
Yes I remember that freelancer tweeting. Must've taken some nerve on her part as mentioned above I'm sure she worried about getting a reputation as a troublemaker. It has all been quite glossed over.
I still haven't seen that vid - did SH really mention The Pool? What a curious thing to focus on as I hardly remember anyone talking about it much here. I suppose she felt on safe ground bringing it up as she too had suffered at it closing. Don't laugh.
She brought it up saying "I wrote about botox in the Pool, a company that closed owing me seven (or maybe it's several, I'm not sure) thousand pounds which apparently I am responsible for." Or words to that effect. Edit to add, I'm really not sure if she says seven or several thousand in the video

• Wow
And The Pool's failure to pay its writers either in a timely manner, or at all, predated LL and SBs departure. The pair of them took a decent whack when they sold it and I have heard rumours that the staff weren't told the sale was going ahead until after it had happened.

It's worth pointing out that had some of its writers not gone public, The Pool would likely have continued commissioning new writers (many of them from groups of women who are under-represented in the media) knowing full well it had nothing in the bank to pay them with. Sadly it appears this has been swept under the carpet. What I also find egregious is that the subjects they were encouraged to write about- sexual assault, abortion, body image, eating issues etc - were especially sensitive. To not be paid . . . well.

There is no bleeping way senior editors would not have known about payment problems because writers email their editors to ask how they can obtain payment and they do this out of desperation when accounts don't respond. If by any chance SB and LL didn't know, then that is a perfect example of what appallingly incompetent business owners they were. No wonder it folded.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
SH mentioned the £7k owed as a result of The Pool folding in her vid. That’s fair enough, no one should go without being paid for work they’ve done. However, it would be more interesting to know what this quantifies in terms of articles, working hours spent to research and write them, to be able to say if this is a massive loss of earnings or simply The Pool paid incredibly well per article. If I recall on average each article took 3-4 mins to read.

Honestly the whole influencer/ online media world is fascinating. IMO the biggest losers from it all has been the admirable profession of in-depth journalism, vastly diluted by self-proclaimed authors and writers often creating brands of themselves. And us, the readers, who are the consumers of half-truths written with very little research or insight of the topics discussed.
Completely agree! The article linked on the previous thread also deals with how the influencer culture impacted journalism and what is now expected, I don't understand why are journalists and writers obliged to have any social media presence? I don't care what a writer eats, puts on their face, maybe in an interview a la Into the Gloss, but for a journalist to have an Instagram account and feel obliged to post their breakfast/ashtray/view/whatever is ridiculous. I actually prefer not to know much about writers and poets I love (luckily, most of my favourites died a long time ago). However, this is usually expected from women, as was mentioned in the article which is a good read.

It was Eleanor Morgan.

Eleanor, interestingly, published a book a few months ago about women’s hormonal health. The very week it was published, SH wrote a snide tweet about too many books being published about periods. Followed by a swift backtrack when EM called her out.

Even if it’s a coincidence... not a great way to support fellow writers. And of all the topics to have too many books about surely female-specific health (woefully understudied, underfunded) isn’t one of them.

What interests me most about the whole SH debacle is how much she has invaded the privacy of her own children whilst accusing others of doing the same.

I remember when she discussed her son's hypospadias online. Yes, she discussed her own son's genitalia with millions of people. I cannot believe that at the age he was then, proper, informed consent from him -for this disclosure-was possible. Yes, there is an argument that to discuss such things publicly is to reduce stigma and increase awareness but these are public conversations that he and only he has the right to instigate and at an age when he can fully understand the impact of such a disclosure.
Genuinely shocked. It’s not her body to write about.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Good on EM! What pathetic backtracking from SH, is it the boots? On the contrary, we need more books about periods and less about whatever tit Sali's false feminism is selling. She had countless opportunities to concretely demonstrate her so-called views, but has failed every time.

Reactions: 13
It was Eleanor Morgan.

Eleanor, interestingly, published a book a few months ago about women’s hormonal health. The very week it was published, SH wrote a snide tweet about too many books being published about periods. Followed by a swift backtrack when EM called her out.

Even if it’s a coincidence... not a great way to support fellow writers. And of all the topics to have too many books about surely female-specific health (woefully understudied, underfunded) isn’t one of them.

How sneery. You're right SH, books on female health are not needed, books about the Queens colourful outfits are far more worthy and important 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 32
And if Emma Barnett had similarly questioned her if would have been oh no Emma not *your* book. And if Dr Jen Gunter had done the same oh no Dr Jen not *your* book.

So either SH was annoyed she didn’t think to write a book about female health or she would like all the publishers in the world to start coordinating a bit more. Ok then.

Reactions: 8
Who was the ‘owner’?
It was Eleanor Morgan.

God, Sali has such a big vile mouth. Unbearable

Reactions: 4
So, according to SH The Pool was overhauling it's system on 9th Jan. A piece of hers On M Kondo went up the same day. By 11th Jan she'd withdrawn her labour until others got paid.

Interesting that SH took on Samantha Brick but not E Morgan or S Heritage. Also interesting that PP shows up although he appears to have misplaced his "Introduction to A level philosophy" textbook.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.