Sali Hughes #7 Yes I threatened and yes I lie, but can I interest you in beauty pie?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
SH really does have an awful twitter manner. She fearlessly tackles soft targets, Samantha Brick ffs. And I'd forgotten her love of 'boner' :sick:
And that periods book thing was wierd - what an odd thing to boil your piss.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
SH really does have an awful twitter manner. She fearlessly tackles soft targets, Samantha Brick ffs. And I'd forgotten her love of 'boner' :sick:
And that periods book thing was wierd - what an odd thing to boil your piss.
She is so self assured and confident with her Twitter posse to back her up that she is breathtakingly rude and snide to those who aren’t in her gang .

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She brought it up saying "I wrote about botox in the Pool, a company that closed owing me seven (or maybe it's several, I'm not sure) thousand pounds which apparently I am responsible for." Or words to that effect. Edit to add, I'm really not sure if she says seven or several thousand in the video
Didn’t we establish previously via the Wayback Machine that in no Pool articles ever did Sali actually say “I have had botox”?

Reactions: 6
Has everyone seen Caroline Hiron's new box? Pumped it up for ages on Facebook and it's finally released and it's £290. The contents are good and £10k is going to charity but it's so expensive!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
And The Pool's failure to pay its writers either in a timely manner, or at all, predated LL and SBs departure. The pair of them took a decent whack when they sold it and I have heard rumours that the staff weren't told the sale was going ahead until after it had happened.

It's worth pointing out that had some of its writers not gone public, The Pool would likely have continued commissioning new writers (many of them from groups of women who are under-represented in the media) knowing full well it had nothing in the bank to pay them with. Sadly it appears this has been swept under the carpet. What I also find egregious is that the subjects they were encouraged to write about- sexual assault, abortion, body image, eating issues etc - were especially sensitive. To not be paid . . . well.

There is no bleeping way senior editors would not have known about payment problems because writers email their editors to ask how they can obtain payment and they do this out of desperation when accounts don't respond. If by any chance SB and LL didn't know, then that is a perfect example of what appallingly incompetent business owners they were. No wonder it folded.
Not so much “women supporting women” as “women bleeping over women”, then.

I can pinpoint the exact moment I’d HAD IT with The Pool and their crappy pseudo feminism. This Instagram post. I mean “dumb blonde” FFS?

Attachments

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
The article about failure which was linked upthread is incredibly problematic.

There are some things in life that simply are defining and they aren’t all the positive things. It’s not a million miles away from the ‘beating cancer due to being such a good fighter’ narrative.

Those who are quite understandably set adrift by difficult life circumstances do not need a national magazine with a woefully un-insightful opinion writer to add insult to injury.

I feel extremely strongly that this cliquey narrative is disgracefully elitist and victim blaming. Those of us who work for public services know that there is a huge raft of the population that remain hidden. To claim the world can be divided into people who learn from failure to better themselves and people who sink into it and complain is so unbelievably stupid.

And that’s to say nothing of the fact that super successful Sali does little else besides complain. In her forties she spends an awful lot of time dissecting her own teenage years in public. What is that? I find it very hard to believe she has faced much adversity in her life for the simple reason that she seems to have little to no knowledge of what it entails.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
100%, Carryonnursing, but a more self-aware person would probably refrain from deploying unsolicited advice about life in general, won’t they? At least until they learn how to count past 3.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I find it hard to believe, given what we now know of her past conduct, that she went from being broke and subsisting on plain pasta and cheese for months on end to the editor of a glossy mag WITHOUT trampling over other woman to get there.

G-d she is vile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I’ve just seen that the jumper Sali wore in her ShuTtATtLeLifEdOwN video retails at £310. Paired with a Rolex. Both worn in a hysterical video in which she complains about how a handful of women she doesn’t know gossip about her amongst themselves. I’m sorry, just duck off. I don’t know why that bothers me so much but it really does.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

I can pinpoint the exact moment I’d HAD IT with The Pool and their crappy pseudo feminism. This Instagram post. I mean “dumb blonde” FFS?
This quote entirely fits in with something SH said in Pretty Honest that made me wince. In the Beauty Icons section.
'Others are new finds, reassuring me that not every ravishing beauty fits the modern stereotype of pubescent, blonde, big-titted and doll-like'.
And didn't SH recently retweet a thread about why Dolly Parton hates feminists because they have on the whole been so judgy and crappy about her blonde hair, big tits and doll like features?
You can only be admired if you are oh so quirky and a badass.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t think she has a naturally strong jawline, I think that’s down to Botox. When people get cheek fillers they often get Botox in the jawline to make it more pronounced, it balances out the cheeks and makes them less noticeable, Trisha Paytas gets it done all the time and her jaw has become more prominent.

Reactions: 2
The Dolly Parton podcast is phenomenal so far btw. My goodness she’s an interesting person. She knows herself and she’s got genuine warmth and humour for all living creatures.

It’s an example of quite brilliant journalism and I think we should share those here or start a new thread for them.

We all seem to yearn for the same things and have some important things in common so perhaps we could flag up articles/books/podcasts/documentaries that are interesting and informative or thoughtful.

If anyone else interested I will start a thread 💁‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Fun fact, Sam Baker has been doing a lot of on stage interviewing of authors recently. Just finished a tour with (the notoriously difficult) Rose McGowan and she said was a doddle to work with compared to some of her colleagues at The Pool

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
The Dolly Parton podcast is phenomenal so far btw. My goodness she’s an interesting person. She knows herself and she’s got genuine warmth and humour for all living creatures.

It’s an example of quite brilliant journalism and I think we should share those here or start a new thread for them.

We all seem to yearn for the same things and have some important things in common so perhaps we could flag up articles/books/podcasts/documentaries that are interesting and informative or thoughtful.

If anyone else interested I will start a thread 💁‍♀️
Yes an excellent idea.

Reactions: 3
These made me laugh. I don't know who she is and I can't think of anything witty to say about her tweets but I don't think she meant to give the impression that she does. Like her hair/wig though.
She’s great, I love her podcast (Sentimental Garbage- it’s about chick lit- her words not mine). I had no idea she worked for The Pool previously.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.