Sali Hughes #61 She simply cannot countenance a sequin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But she's no longer a model and hasn't been one for years now. She wouldn't be the first to give up a more distinctive look in favour of Instagram perfect. It seems to happen to lots of them. Taking millions of photos and videos probably does something to the mind

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Someone else pointed out on another thread that shopping is a valid addiction but it's not taken seriously as it's seen as a frivolous women's thing. I totally agree
I practice meditation and follow what various teachers share about understanding the mind. One insight recently thats been interesting me is about desire and simply how the mind functions to never be satisfied. I’ve noticed in myself since with for example, a little independent clothes shop here where I’m travelling. I got a couple of pieces (all reasonably priced but still feeling like a treat) for Xmas. Felt like my life complete, but then gradually thought about the other things and went back a few weeks later and got a couple more bits. Told myself that’s it now. I have plenty of clothes, love the pieces I have. Some more time passed and I saw a photo of someone wearing another top (they had in the shop), it looked so nice. My mind is now starting to try and convince me. If I try to buy it when I’m back home they’re marked up so much more by sellers there, so I realised I’m now considering buying more.
Sorry for the essay. What I’m trying to say is I’m mind aware enough that I know the mind behaves like this, I can see this desire and pattern there, but I still go along with it Sometimes. I can also not get things as it’s good practice to not follow the minds desires (if it’s not life and death etc). So I feel how much an influencer’s mind must be seeking more and more, in the beginning all the free stuff will be enough, then the vouchers, then they see a colleague get xyz and they want that. Then the home stuff, the vacations etc. It will train their mind, their thoughts, their desire etc to need even more. This isn’t even thinking about the dopamine that they’re getting used to from all these moments. Tbh I feel looking from the outside now it’s very much not a life that’s going to lead to true contentment or happiness. Which is their choice and not for me to criticise in that way, but I wouldn’t want it. It’s just stuff at the end of the day, and nothing we can take with us at the end.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I practice meditation and follow what various teachers share about understanding the mind. One insight recently thats been interesting me is about desire and simply how the mind functions to never be satisfied. I’ve noticed in myself since with for example, a little independent clothes shop here where I’m travelling. I got a couple of pieces (all reasonably priced but still feeling like a treat) for Xmas. Felt like my life complete, but then gradually thought about the other things and went back a few weeks later and got a couple more bits. Told myself that’s it now. I have plenty of clothes, love the pieces I have. Some more time passed and I saw a photo of someone wearing another top (they had in the shop), it looked so nice. My mind is now starting to try and convince me. If I try to buy it when I’m back home they’re marked up so much more by sellers there, so I realised I’m now considering buying more.
Sorry for the essay. What I’m trying to say is I’m mind aware enough that I know the mind behaves like this, I can see this desire and pattern there, but I still go along with it Sometimes. I can also not get things as it’s good practice to not follow the minds desires (if it’s not life and death etc). So I feel how much an influencer’s mind must be seeking more and more, in the beginning all the free stuff will be enough, then the vouchers, then they see a colleague get xyz and they want that. Then the home stuff, the vacations etc. It will train their mind, their thoughts, their desire etc to need even more. This isn’t even thinking about the dopamine that they’re getting used to from all these moments. Tbh I feel looking from the outside now it’s very much not a life that’s going to lead to true contentment or happiness. Which is their choice and not for me to criticise in that way, but I wouldn’t want it. It’s just stuff at the end of the day, and nothing we can take with us at the end.
This is such a great post, thanks for sharing. I relate to a lot of it… I definitely have a bit of a clothes addiction. Buy way too much (not proud of it). I’m currently totally skint and can’t seem to stop myself buying more in the sales. I recently went through a massive cull, sold loads on vinted, and promised myself to stop there. Plus the vinted sales gave me the dopamine hit I was after…. Now my vinted sales have slowed and I’m back to buying more - probably to keep satisfying myself as you say. I feel a lot of shame about it but just can’t seem to make a shift and stop. I hate to say it but when I see sali’s baskets of tit in her bathroom (“it’s my job!!”) I see a lot of myself in there

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I’ve been a lot more broke for various reasons this past year, which has forced me to be a lot more intentional in my purchasing habits. Being broke is no fun but the relief from breaking the cycle of mindless consumption is real.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Nothing to see here, it’s just the braces

View attachment 2680329
As an aside, couple of years ago a pal of mine texted that she'd been in some kind of car accident and wouldn't see us for a while, wouldn't accept visitors, was visiting family to recover. She came back with much bigger lips and has always since claimed that smashing her face on the dashboard made them swell up and they never went down and that sometimes they 'play up' and look sore or a bit bigger than usual. She now has the slightly wonky top lip thing and claims that's the result of the accident too, although afaik none of us have ever questioned or challenged her (I certainly haven't), but we all know she has lip fillers. Not sure if that's a more extreme excuse than braces.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
From today's article about cheap(ish) straighteners.

Who is going to tell her? 😬

Screenshot_20240112_160142.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Lol! Antwerp debacle!!! #aghast

Putting aside the cringe worthy "I've seen Madge loads, me, even in foreign..." I suppose now she has done this review she can theoretically write off the cost of the GHDs....allegedly.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
As an aside, couple of years ago a pal of mine texted that she'd been in some kind of car accident and wouldn't see us for a while, wouldn't accept visitors, was visiting family to recover. She came back with much bigger lips and has always since claimed that smashing her face on the dashboard made them swell up and they never went down and that sometimes they 'play up' and look sore or a bit bigger than usual. She now has the slightly wonky top lip thing and claims that's the result of the accident too, although afaik none of us have ever questioned or challenged her (I certainly haven't), but we all know she has lip fillers. Not sure if that's a more extreme excuse than braces.
someone I work with had some time off for a operation we were led to believe was gynae in nature but all very hush hush “don’t mention the war” in front of her. Just she was having some time off.

she came back unable to move her face and with lips like badly packed sausage meat. I assume she probably did have the surgery but also thought whilst she had some time off she’d do a tweak without us noticing.

We noticed. And very much said nothing to her or each other til someone got a bit squiff a few months later and asked all if we’d noticed or was she going mad? Which I enjoy the idea of… “is her face now strangely smooth or am I having some sort of TIA? I’ll have to ask the others…”

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Sali‘s plot devices:
- I left xy, usually a really expensive appliance, in a hotel room or airbnb and had to buy a new one
- I thought I‘d hate it but I actually really like it
- I rushed out of the house in the morning without getting dressed / taking my make up bag so I had to buy a whole new outfit / contents of a make up bag
- Women find using skincare / makeup too complicated and are baffled by eye pencils, so I’ll explain their usage

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Stating that you're unaware of the actual price of stuff you get sent - and recommend - doesn't make you look a particularly knowledgeable beauty journalist, I don't think. Though I don't believe for a moment she was unaware it's just a device to hang the premise of the column on - like the usual bs scenarios she employs that @crossword lists.
GHD was founded in 2001 so not "circa" the Rachael trend at all. This made me think SH doesn't know what circa means (if she does she's used it oddly here to me but perhaps I'm stupid) and meant sonething song the lines of GHD changed hair/hairstyling in a similar way as the Rachael style did? No idea 🤷‍♀️
Babyliss is a brand partner of Beauty Banks. I doubt very much SH forked out for any of their products.
---
I knew someone who claimed to have fallen on treadmill and had to take time off work cos of the bruising down their legs - which they showed people. It was generally thought she'd had liposuction. When she returned to work her tits had increased in size with no other weight gain.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Why is she always forgetting things or leaving them places? Maybe she should get a neurological check-up.

(I think she has misused circa)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Why is she always forgetting things or leaving them places? Maybe she should get a neurological check-up.

I was just going to say the same. Easy come easy go I guess when you are sent masses of stuff for free. Eg if I dropped makeup brushes on the train floor I'd bloody well pick them up and sterilise them later not think 'oh well it was quite cheap'.

• Sick
Reactions: 14
GHD were certainly this century, long after the gas curler nightmare that was the Rachel cut!
My hair strong and thick, it gets a good few strokes of the GHDs💅

• Haha
Reactions: 6
For someone who used to always wang on about loving an 'orange red' lipstick, she never, ever wears one anymore since she nuked her hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
An ex-friend was a beauty journo, she admitted (in a rare moment of groundedness) that since having to pay full price for things now, she uses things very sparingly, unlike the liberal use she told readers to follow

• Sad
Reactions: 22

Perhaps she is “there”

I hear brain fog is a symptom (cannot confirm, am not there yet myself)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.