Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw a thin person wear spanx once and it made her get cramps and bloat, can only assume it upsets the insides somehow? IDK I’m quite fat and never had that issue 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 6
So many questions. I can only imagine there'd be spillage at the top and a crushed abdomen feeling below that would make eating and drinking most unpleasant
I occasionally wear a corset (a proper boned, laced one) with certain vintage dresses which pulls me in around the middle much more than compression tights would. There does seem to be room inside for your insides to squidge up a bit. You see these amazing/freakishly small waists that some women (and men) achieve through corseting.

I occasionally wear a corset (a proper boned, laced one) with certain vintage dresses which pulls me in around the middle much more than compression tights would. There does seem to be room inside for your insides to squidge up a bit. You see these amazing/freakishly small waists that some women (and men) achieve through corseting.
I undo the top button of my jeans when I sit down. I don't like anything tight around my torso, including, as of the past 18 months, bras 😆

I saw a thin person wear spanx once and it made her get cramps and bloat, can only assume it upsets the insides somehow? IDK I’m quite fat and never had that issue 🤷🏼‍♀️
It's got to interfere with peristalsis. I know how I felt before I evicted my uterus and I never want to feel that again tyvm

Reactions: 14
I undo the top button of my jeans when I sit down. I don't like anything tight around my torso, including, as of the past 18 months, bras 😆
The weird thing is I hate wearing a bra (and get told off by my sisters for going around without one) but I find a corset quite nice to wear. I wouldn't wear one day-in-day-out but on certain occasions I like the feeling of being held in.

I've read some blogs by dedicated corset-wearers and they talk of a corset giving them confidence - sort of backbone. I wouldn't go that far but I can see what they mean.

• Heart
I like a spanx too, it’s like a weighted blanket- hugs you in the right place to make you feel secure
Bras can get in the bin

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The book that Hemmo mentioned a little while ago about influencers is published this week. The author was on Radio 4 'Start the week' this morning (at 29 minutes in). Nothing particularly interesting in that short segment but the book seems worth a read. The audio version is available in a couple of days so I'll wait for that.

It's called 'Break the internet: in pursuit of influence' by Olivia Yallop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I like a spanx too, it’s like a weighted blanket- hugs you in the right place to make you feel secure
Bras can get in the bin
ooh, I love a weighted blanket. Maybe I need to try Spanx then

The weird thing is I hate wearing a bra (and get told off by my sisters for going around without one) but I find a corset quite nice to wear. I wouldn't wear one day-in-day-out but on certain occasions I like the feeling of being held in.

I've read some blogs by dedicated corset-wearers and they talk of a corset giving them confidence - sort of backbone. I wouldn't go that far but I can see what they mean.
I wonder if it would help my dodgy back? I have mild scoliosis and it gives me all sorts of grief. I quite like the idea of not having to hold myself up, now that I think about it 😆

Reactions: 4
The book that Hemmo mentioned a little while ago about influencers is published this week. The author was on Radio 4 'Start the week' this morning (at 29 minutes in). Nothing particularly interesting in that short segment but the book seems worth a read. The audio version is available in a couple of days so I'll wait for that.

Thanks, I’d like to read that since I heard it first mooted - probably on here!

I wonder if it would help my dodgy back? I have mild scoliosis and it gives me all sorts of grief. I quite like the idea of not having to hold myself up, now that I think about it 😆
My weighted blanket is a bit too heavy? It hurts my arms to lift.

Reactions: 3
My weighted blanket is a bit too heavy? It hurts my arms to lift.
Mine too! It felt like it was trying to murder me. I need to get a lighter one. I should have followed the recommendations. I got a 15 pound one 😕

Last edited:
Mine too! It felt like it was trying to murder me. I need to get a lighter one. I should have followed the recommendations. I got a 15 pound one 😕
I think mine is 4-5kg so about the same? I didn’t really know they made different weights. I’ve got trapped under mine for real. You fold it down in your sleep because you’re hot and that’s you forever, living in the sofa until a concerned neighbour gets the police to do a welfare check

• Haha
Reactions: 21
“Sucky in” tights are only really any good when you’re already very slim and just want a bit of smoothing, in my (distant past) experience.

Reactions: 9
I love the feel of my blanket but had to stop sleeping with it, bedchange day was like weightlifting and I also had the getting trapped panic. I have one on the sofa though in a tactile cover and I do like to snuggle under it in the evening.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I had a brace before having surgery years ago and it was amazing, must be what it's like not to have a squint spine 😂 I do love high rise sucky in shorts for the same reason

I find sucky in / heist high waisted tights help a little with period cramps

• Wow

Olivia Yallop seems an interesting and clever person. I did some very non deep research into her and she knows her stuff. I can't see her automatically swallowing the 'if you talk about me it is trolling and bullying' stance.
For a start (and forgive the agism) she is a younger woman and seems more clued in to the complexities of living your life online and the accompanying commentary - whereas Sali is very old school and belongs to the era of thinking she can say and do what she likes unchallenged.

Reactions: 12
Olivia Yallop seems an interesting and clever person. I did some very non deep research into her and she knows her stuff. I can't see her automatically swallowing the 'if you talk about me it is trolling and bullying' stance.
For a start (and forgive the agism) she is a younger woman and seems more clued in to the complexities of living your life online and the accompanying commentary - whereas Sali is very old school and belongs to the era of thinking she can say and do what she likes unchallenged.
Agree. Similar to journalist Nesrine Malik, author of 'We need new stories'. I remember her saying that when she started as a journalist it was already the era in which technology and social media had enabled 'the great unwashed' to answer back, rather than just be the passive recipients of opinions put out by those in a position to express them. So it was always something she'd had to deal with. Whereas with SH I get the feeling that it wasn't what she'd signed up for and she's still cross about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Aude Thank you for recommending Uniqlo recently. I found the perfect cashmere sweater today. I bought 3. I'm tiny. Most XS sweaters look huge on me, so I have a hard time finding sweaters. I'm very happy.

• Heart
I love hearing everyone's habits on here. So varied. I think I'd like the equivalent a mind corset or sucky in brain tights. Something to keep me focused on stuff instead of distracted and foggy. I mostly leave my body to wander all over the place. It's all gone feral now. But I do tuck my vest into my knickers for cosiness...I cant be the only one...can I?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I love hearing everyone's habits on here. So varied. I think I'd like the equivalent a mind corset or sucky in brain tights. Something to keep me focused on stuff instead of distracted and foggy. I mostly leave my body to wander all over the place. It's all gone feral now. But I do tuck my vest into my knickers for cosiness...I cant be the only one...can I?
Interestingly, the 'Start the week' discussion yesterday talked about the 'attention economy' and about how one's focus becomes a commodity to be bought and sold by advertisers and influencers. Not sure I quite understood - but I was only half-listening.

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.