Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"A Fortnight ago, I broke my own rule and got a french manicure. The last time I wore pastel nails with white tips, Donald Trump was on wife one and Oasis was still just a shop."
Truly starting grim. I do not want to measure time via Trump wives.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Ivana and Donald divorced in '92, and Oasis began in '91 (and signed with a record label in '93 with Definitely Maybe releasing in '94). So, my deep research leads me to believe she last had french manicure nails around '90 to '92. Why not just say 'early 90s'? I do not understand Sali-speak.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
"A Fortnight ago, I broke my own rule and got a french manicure. The last time I wore pastel nails with white tips, Donald Trump was on wife one and Oasis was still just a shop."
Truly starting grim. I do not want to measure time via Trump wives.
That Oasis thing is a bit tone deaf isn't it? Haven't they shut the shops now?

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Ivana and Donald divorced in '92, and Oasis began in '91 (and signed with a record label in '93 with Definitely Maybe releasing in '94). So, my deep research leads me to believe she last had french manicure nails around '90 to '92. Why not just say 'early 90s'? I do not understand Sali-speak.
It's all about tha word count and being oh so quirky

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Wasn’t she a teenage runaway in the early 90s? Something doesn’t quite add up with Sali, as usual.

Reactions: 8
But fashion is a fickle creature, and well, colour me influenced. :sick: Just stop!

(...) two of fashion’s biggest trends of recent years: the 1990s (I have no reasonable explanation) and minimal, casual neutrals (that would be the pandemic).
Her "explanations" are a great example of what a fashion erudite she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
But fashion is a fickle creature, and well, colour me influenced. :sick: Just stop!

(...) two of fashion’s biggest trends of recent years: the 1990s (I have no reasonable explanation) and minimal, casual neutrals (that would be the pandemic).
Her "explanations" are a great example of what a fashion erudite she is.
She really does talk shite. A pandemic that started in early 2020 cannot conceivably be the cause of a trend in ‘recent years’. This year, sure, but not ‘recent years’. On the 90s point, I’m sure she’s saying ‘no reasonable explanation’ to be derisive about the style because surely she knows that eras tend to come around in turn, and for twenty-somethings who largely drive trends the 90s is the most recent era they didn’t experience so of course it’s back.

Someone send her that ‘how fashion works’ scene from The Devil Wears Prada, because even this sewer dweller gets it.

Also, my phone autocorrected Prada to Pravda, which made me hoot given the ‘they called me Stalin’ chat :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I have a view on thread titles which is that they lose their impact/humour/beauty if they combine disparate elements. I appreciate the inclusive spirit that leads us to combine suggestions but I think each of the three main ones currently - she here, the one referencing her missed calling as a medical receptionist, something rhyming with brassy - would be better alone. Good suggestions can always be used another time. I imagine the medical receptionist one will have a fairly long shelf life.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Despite a Tory husband, she is reminding us of how liberal she is by being left of Donald Trump. The bar for being guardian beauty journo is pretty low

It’s more specific than just a 90’s trend it’s the Y2K aesthetic revival, 90’s grunge has been left kinda alone.

“cult classic Dior apricot nail base” is such a cult classic that it hasn’t been mentioned in Ms Hughes’s book on cult classics.

Brass me influenced?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Despite a Tory husband, she is reminding us of how liberal she is by being left of Donald Trump. The bar for being guardian beauty journo is pretty low

It’s more specific than just a 90’s trend it’s the Y2K aesthetic revival, 90’s grunge has been left kinda alone.

“cult classic Dior apricot nail base” is such a cult classic that it hasn’t been mentioned in Ms Hughes’s book on cult classics.

Brass me influenced?
She's very possibly quite a Tory, but that doesn't fit with her narrative. I find it very difficult to believe that something as different as opposing political views make for a good marriage. I'm not sure I could be with someone who didn't understand and agree with the core of my beliefs.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.