Sali Hughes #32 Here's one moisturiser, now piss off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If Madonna had not had such invasive treatment I'm sure she would look better. She can afford the best skincare and products. Also she has time to spend on a healthy lifestyle etc. She had a lovely individual face with amazing bone structure. Her fear of the slightest line or wrinkle and obvious disdain for her thin lips (thin lips seem to be completely unacceptable these days for some reason) has made her go for more and more extreme 'corrective' treatments.
For such a bold maverick she really is bowing down to the absolute stereotype that normal aging is somehow embarassing.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Her fear of the slightest line or wrinkle and obvious disdain for her thin lips (thin lips seem to be completely unacceptable these days for some reason) has made her go for more and more extreme 'corrective' treatments.
It's interesting because when you look at all the 20th century sex goddesses/great beauties you never see great huge lips, very often you see quite thin if nicely shaped ones (Farrah Fawcett springs to mind), and usually you see them entirely proportional to their woman's actual features. That's what's been lost with the advent of commonplace high street plastic surgery - people think they can mix and match and stick on new facial features per the fashion like the human face is Mr Potato Head. You can't. It looks disproportional and obviously fake and often throws the rest of the face out of whack.

All actual natural proportion, and distinctiveness - what actually defines beauty - is lost behind this attempt to look like a boilerplate 'hot woman' who right now looks one way and doubtless in five years will look like something else.

For such a bold maverick she really is bowing down to the absolute stereotype that normal aging is somehow embarassing.
I think Madonna lost any sense of herself outside of a being a 'star' a long time ago. Real Sunset Boulevard stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I follow Isabelle Huppert on Instagram. She's an incredibly sexy and stylish woman of 66. I couldn't say for certain that she hasn't had any surgery, but if she has it's been pretty minimal. It's a shame Madonna didn't follow that route instead of deciding to look like Jeffree Star.

Reactions: 10
Has anyone watched ‘Glow Up’? There is a young person with lip fillers that look painful they are so stretched. It makes me wince.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
There's this perverse culture of anything goes vis-a-vis feminism now that encourages this. Want to look like a blow-up sex doll? That's "empowering". Want to fill your face to the point you are barely recognisable? Also empowering. Basically whatever you decide to do, even if it's the result of deep insecurity and utter submission to unachievable patriarchal standards of beauty, it's somehow feminism. Younger women have bought this capitalist bullshit hook, line, and sinker. I don't understand it at all

It's like there's zero self-reflection or interrogation of motive. Have whim, act on it = feminism. It's so intellectually lazy and self-indulgent. I feel like it all went to tit around the time the Kardashians - and their accompanying vapid, grapsing, materialistic lifestyles - went from laughing stocks to aspirational role models, paving the way for the likes of Emily Ratajkowski and all the IG mega-influencers. It's depressing

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
It's funny - I remember Sali several times (including in Pretty Honest) mocking older women in the past who all had 'cauliflower perm hairdos'. And saying how things are so much better for aging women these days. Are they though? The pressure to have surgery/tweakments on your perfectly healthy face is all around us.
The fear of having a foul line or wrinkle is crazy. People like Sali normalise this fear.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
When ageing without tweakments is called courageous, you know there's something wrong

I am just so glad I spend my 20s and 30s without social media or a camera in everyone's hand

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I had an appointment with my cosmetic doctor this afternoon so asked whether filler could migrate. Apparently poor quality (cheap) filler can but good quality filler doesn't.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Well I’ve been following AMH and her weird/endearing Simpsons obsession for years.

I don't get it. The sign is the art?
Yes, she does signwriting and graphic painting on glass. Like old fashioned shop signs

I had an appointment with my cosmetic doctor this afternoon so asked whether filler could migrate. Apparently poor quality (cheap) filler can but good quality filler doesn't.
That sounds like marketing spiel...

Reactions: 8
There's this perverse culture of anything goes vis-a-vis feminism now that encourages this. Want to look like a blow-up sex doll? That's "empowering". Want to fill your face to the point you are barely recognisable? Also empowering. Basically whatever you decide to do, even if it's the result of deep insecurity and utter submission to unachievable patriarchal standards of beauty, it's somehow feminism. Younger women have bought this capitalist bullshit hook, line, and sinker. I don't understand it at all

It's like there's zero self-reflection or interrogation of motive. Have whim, act on it = feminism. It's so intellectually lazy and self-indulgent. I feel like it all went to tit around the time the Kardashians - and their accompanying vapid, grapsing, materialistic lifestyles - went from laughing stocks to aspirational role models, paving the way for the likes of Emily Ratajkowski and all the IG mega-influencers. It's depressing
I feel like it's gone through several discrete stages:

First, elective PS was for the elites, the film stars, the rich and idle, basically. Nobody normal felt pressure to have it unless they had dysmorphia or a real disfiguremen via birth or accident. Mostly it was seen as inadvisable and something for the idle rich and the old. That's key.

Then it became affordable - at least through the selling of debt - to the masses a bit more and people got it younger, but pretended they didn't, because it was still seen as a bit pathetic to care that much as well as an admission you 'needed' it. The idea was to pretend you were 'naturally' suddenly tighter, fresher, lifted, whatever. Women would deny they got breast implants when they were bloody obvious. Actresses who were clearly pulled tighter than a drum, had a obviously frozen face, or suddenly had a hairline an inch higher denied they did anything and put it down to some fancy creams or yoga or whatever.

Now? It's become a consumer-age status symbol to buy new lips, tits, whatever, to the youngest demographic who 'need' it least. The users brag about it, because they think being able to pay cash for this stuff makes them enviable, as it translates into being more sexually competitive, which is tied in their minds into success. Consumerism is power, therefore buying your looks is power, with this veneer of the faux 'feminist' empowerment' of doing whatever, whenever and pretending it's a power move. The sad reality is customers and rather deep dependencies have been created for life. End goal of the industry, I guess. Get them young, as young as possible, rather than hoping customers seek you out halfway through their life or later.

I agree the Kardashians started this final stage, although Kim tried to pretend she didn't have procedures to obtain her allegedly 'enviable' and wholly disproportional backside. Kylie at one point tried to deny having lip filler when she was pimping that stupid lip kit on the basis using it would give you much fuller lips. The Kardashian's procedures were so obvious, the changes so extreme, and the money they made through simply wandering around and being photographed like that so insane, that they have effectively sold the idea that PS and beauty (by which we mean sexual desirability) and financial success (translate: happiness) are inextricably tied together to the youngest, most insecure and gullible demographic.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I feel like it's gone through several discrete stages:

First, elective PS was for the elites, the film stars, the rich and idle, basically. Nobody normal felt pressure to have it unless they had dysmorphia or a real disfiguremen via birth or accident. Mostly it was seen as inadvisable and something for the idle rich and the old. That's key.

Then it became affordable - at least through the selling of debt - to the masses a bit more and people got it younger, but pretended they didn't, because it was still seen as a bit pathetic to care that much as well as an admission you 'needed' it. The idea was to pretend you were 'naturally' suddenly tighter, fresher, lifted, whatever. Women would deny they got breast implants when they were bloody obvious. Actresses who were clearly pulled tighter than a drum, had a obviously frozen face, or suddenly had a hairline an inch higher denied they did anything and put it down to some fancy creams or yoga or whatever.

Now? It's become a consumer-age status symbol to buy new lips, tits, whatever, to the youngest demographic who 'need' it least. The users brag about it, because they think being able to pay cash for this stuff makes them enviable, as it translates into being more sexually competitive, which is tied in their minds into success. Consumerism is power, therefore buying your looks is power, with this veneer of the faux 'feminist' empowerment' of doing whatever, whenever and pretending it's a power move. The sad reality is customers and rather deep dependencies have been created for life. End goal of the industry, I guess. Get them young, as young as possible, rather than hoping customers seek you out halfway through their life or later.

I agree the Kardashians started this final stage, although Kim tried to pretend she didn't have procedures to obtain her allegedly 'enviable' and wholly disproportional backside. Kylie at one point tried to deny having lip filler when she was pimping that stupid lip kit on the basis using it would give you much fuller lips. The Kardashian's procedures were so obvious, the changes so extreme, and the money they made through simply wandering around and being photographed like that so insane, that they have effectively sold the idea that PS and beauty (by which we mean sexual desirability) and financial success (translate: happiness) are inextricably tied together to the youngest, most insecure and gullible demographic.
So well said. So depressing.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I like to watch on 1.5x or double speed for slow talkers.
Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that's an option. I just prefer to get my information from reading. I am the same with podcasts. My mind just wanders

I will read a transcript over listening

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.