Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@ThisIsMyDragName for whatever its worth, even if nothing at all, here's what I do/have done when I feel like that. Some of this may have been suggested already, I was out of action for a few days so missed a whole bunch of stuff.

- like you say, focus on the good. Don't beat yourself up for not doing xyz every day. Instead of 'oh no I didn't brush my teeth today' go with 'amazing, I brushed my teeth yesterday. Well done me'.
- go for a walk if you can. If not, go stand outside. If you can't manage that, go stand by an open window. Let the cold in.
- related to the above teeth thing, break it into baby steps. If you can't do that, put some toothpaste on a brush and swirl around a bit. Sit on the loo doing it if easier. Can't do that either? Swish some mouthwash around to refresh.
- wash your face. If you can't manage that, splash with water. Even soak some cotton pads or whatever with cool water and gently wipe over your face.
- can't manage to make dinner? Make some toast instead. Can't manage that? Find something you do have, like raw carrots or grapes, for a snack to get some food into you.
- tidying your home. This is overwhelming at the best of times for so many of us anyway. Do it room by room. Tidy and declutter surfaces, and/or sweep/hoover floors. If you can't do that, then go with one surface e.g. kitchen table and go from there. If you're struggling with that, every time you leave the room bring something with you (a book in the bedroom, bring it with you into the sitting room or wherever. You get the idea).
- yoga if you can manage. Yoga with Adriene is lovely and on YouTube. Meditation too. Calm, Headspace, a bunch of guided ones again on YouTube.
- watch something that makes you feel good. No news, nothing miserable. Good old Only Fools and Horses or Mamma Mia or whatever you like. Put on comfy socks and snuggle up.
- gratitude journaling (may be a bit feathery-strokery, it's not my thing but lots of people apparently find it successful). Write down what you're thankful for each day. Fresh air/that smile the nice lady across the road gave you/the inspiration you got from her colourful flowerpots/that cat from down the road stomping through the snow and lookin cute, whatever it is.

Maybe none of that is useful but if it's semi-interesting to anyone at all, then it's worth typing out my spiel. And if not, it's a good reminder to myself. I'm not going into my past history even with anonymous internet beef-faced strangers but I've found almost all of these and more helpful, but they boil down to the same thing. Breaking stuff into bite-sized pieces and doing what you can.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
You struggle with leaving the house due to your ADHD?
Yes. Poor executive function means I struggle with decision making in mostly all aspects of my life big and small. Leaving the house to exercise can be really difficult. I'm getting better by managing my own expectations but often what feels like a fairly straightforward task can take absolutely ages for someone with adhd. Having accountability can be a huge motivator. Like when you know company is coming over so you do that quick tidy up you've been meaning to do for ages. Accountability!

@ThisIsMyDragName for whatever its worth, even if nothing at all, here's what I do/have done when I feel like that. Some of this may have been suggested already, I was out of action for a few days so missed a whole bunch of stuff.

- like you say, focus on the good. Don't beat yourself up for not doing xyz every day. Instead of 'oh no I didn't brush my teeth today' go with 'amazing, I brushed my teeth yesterday. Well done me'.
- go for a walk if you can. If not, go stand outside. If you can't manage that, go stand by an open window. Let the cold in.
- related to the above teeth thing, break it into baby steps. If you can't do that, put some toothpaste on a brush and swirl around a bit. Sit on the loo doing it if easier. Can't do that either? Swish some mouthwash around to refresh.
- wash your face. If you can't manage that, splash with water. Even soak some cotton pads or whatever with cool water and gently wipe over your face.
- can't manage to make dinner? Make some toast instead. Can't manage that? Find something you do have, like raw carrots or grapes, for a snack to get some food into you.
- tidying your home. This is overwhelming at the best of times for so many of us anyway. Do it room by room. Tidy and declutter surfaces, and/or sweep/hoover floors. If you can't do that, then go with one surface e.g. kitchen table and go from there. If you're struggling with that, every time you leave the room bring something with you (a book in the bedroom, bring it with you into the sitting room or wherever. You get the idea).
- yoga if you can manage. Yoga with Adriene is lovely and on YouTube. Meditation too. Calm, Headspace, a bunch of guided ones again on YouTube.
- watch something that makes you feel good. No news, nothing miserable. Good old Only Fools and Horses or Mamma Mia or whatever you like. Put on comfy socks and snuggle up.
- gratitude journaling (may be a bit feathery-strokery, it's not my thing but lots of people apparently find it successful). Write down what you're thankful for each day. Fresh air/that smile the nice lady across the road gave you/the inspiration you got from her colourful flowerpots/that cat from down the road stomping through the snow and lookin cute, whatever it is.

Maybe none of that is useful but if it's semi-interesting to anyone at all, then it's worth typing out my spiel. And if not, it's a good reminder to myself. I'm not going into my past history even with anonymous internet beef-faced strangers but I've found almost all of these and more helpful, but they boil down to the same thing. Breaking stuff into bite-sized pieces and doing what you can.
Excellent advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
That’s really interesting, @Mazerati .

Im sorry to hear so many of you lovely people are struggling at the moment. Hang in there, lots of us beef-faces care that you’re ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Thank you to all of you for your kindness and helpful advice. What a lovely little corner of the internet this has become!

I decided to share how I was feeling a little not to fish for attention, but more because sometimes I can feel very alone in my depression, and it can help me to know other people feel like me or have felt like me and gotten themselves out the other side. It reminds me that it’s a part of being human and it’s temporary. That said, I also want to just put it out there that I will always be a ‘listening ear’ (a reading eye?!) to anyone who needs it. I don’t think I’m as helpful as some of the other lovely ladies here but I will always read and sit alongside someone who needs it.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
The thing I can’t get in the habit of is flossing/interdental brushing - I manage it about once a week and I should be doing it twice a day. The stupid thing is I probably waste more time worrying about not doing it than I would just bloody sticking the bloody between my teeth.
It takes about 66 days to make something a 'habit'

Reactions: 2
@ThisIsMyDragName sometimes the best way to let something go is to say it out loud, or in this case write to open ears. I know when someone really gets to me or upsets me I have to be able to vocalise what happened or I can't let it go. I dwell and go round in circles in my head over it. Once I've vented about it to someone I stop caring about it and can focus on something else.

Also never hurts to let yourself just have a day where nothing gets achieved and that be ok. There was a period of time I was working six day weeks and then trying to cram all my household chores/errands into that one day off. The toll it took was making me physically ill. Eventually I cracked and called in sick. I spent two days literally just laying in bed with my favourite blanket watching funny videos on YouTube. I did nothing at all and I really needed that.

You only get so much time in this life. Don't feel guilty for spending it on yourself. Even if that time doesn't move you forward, doesn't mean it wasn't what you needed in that moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is such sage advice / insight @Runestone . Somehow saying it out loud or getting it out of your head takes the power of it away!

Reactions: 4
Hello I usually come here to post piss taking comments about Sali but just wanted to say how impressed I am by the support and sisterly advice you share here. It's a beautiful thing to see x

• Heart
Reactions: 23
One thing I have to thank Sali for, if she hadn’t been such a snippy bully I’d never have ended up joining all you lovely people here. Tattle and it’s members has been such a great place to vent, joke, or just plain have a chat after such a rubbish year. Cheers to you all been such welcoming kind people.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Yes. Poor executive function means I struggle with decision making in mostly all aspects of my life big and small. Leaving the house to exercise can be really difficult. I'm getting better by managing my own expectations but often what feels like a fairly straightforward task can take absolutely ages for someone with adhd. Having accountability can be a huge motivator. Like when you know company is coming over so you do that quick tidy up you've been meaning to do for ages. Accountability!

Excellent advice.
Please could you direct me to any recommendations you may have of articles I can read about female ADHD? I have things going on the therapy etc just hasn't been able to reach. ADHD appears to be possibly hitting the nail on the head with difficulties I have. It's a very interesting consideration.

Please could you direct me to any recommendations you may have of articles I can read about female ADHD? I have things going on the therapy etc just hasn't been able to reach. ADHD appears to be possibly hitting the nail on the head with difficulties I have. It's a very interesting consideration.
Absolutely! I am waxing lyrical these days about it because it is under diagnosed in girls and women. We are often fobbed off with the label of depression or BPD. Because it's seen as only something boys have and only hyperactive boys at that. So many symptoms look like depression but are actually misdiagnosed. Like procrastination, poor working memory, impostor syndrome, inability to stay focused, an untidy home that you just cannot keep on top of, amd time blindness.

You can start with the YouTube channel How to ADHD. It really clarified a few things for me. Also Russell Barkley videos. He does a good job in explaining the neuroscience.

Pm me if you want. Happy to chat.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
One thing I have to thank Sali for, if she hadn’t been such a snippy bully I’d never have ended up joining all you lovely people here. Tattle and it’s members has been such a great place to vent, joke, or just plain have a chat after such a rubbish year. Cheers to you all been such welcoming kind people.
It's far from the sewer of racist, abusive, violent trolls she likes to make it out to be!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The thing I can’t get in the habit of is flossing/interdental brushing - I manage it about once a week and I should be doing it twice a day. The stupid thing is I probably waste more time worrying about not doing it than I would just bloody sticking the bloody between my teeth.
I’m exactly the same. Used to do every weekday as in my routine (had weekends off). Now it’s about twice a week if I’m good. Got to get back on to it.

For anyone interested in habit formation, a book that really helped me - both within insight and practical ideas - is 'Better than before' by Gretchen Rubin.

Reactions: 6
This is a good YouTube channel. I'm wondering whether i should seek assessment for inattentive ADD (I'm too sluggish to be hyperactive) or just ascribe my issues with executive function, RSD etc to the ASD i was diagnosed with in my mid 50s, as there's such a lot of overlap.

Reactions: 1
For anyone interested in habit formation, a book that really helped me - both within insight and practical ideas - is 'Better than before' by Gretchen Rubin.
Thank you! Habit forming is incredibly difficult for me. Now I am on medication I might actually be able to think about trying again after failing over and over again my whole adult life.

This is a good YouTube channel. I'm wondering whether i should seek assessment for inattentive ADD (I'm too sluggish to be hyperactive) or just ascribe my issues with executive function, RSD etc to the ASD i was diagnosed with in my mid 50s, as there's such a lot of overlap.
Do it @NotDumbNotBlonde . under new laws about the right to choose your provider, it's far quicker to get a private assessment and have your local CCG pay for it. I got fobbed off on the NHS and went down this route. If you want details of how I'm more than happy to help.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.