Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sending love to @ThisIsMyDragName , @GTL Old-Timer , and anyone else who is struggling at the moment. It's heartbreaking knowing how hard so many people are finding things at the moment, but have found it very uplifting catching up on the conversation here and all the useful advice.

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have my physical health, a job, and only myself/my husband to look after, and am doing my best to remember this and be grateful for it when I'm feeling tit. I see how friends and people on here who have kids are struggling with the extra pressure and I know I don't have it too bad. But I'm also totally stuck in a rut and feel depression and anxiety symptoms lurking. Going running is the one thing I know will help my mood but haven't been able to force myself out for a couple of weeks now. I've barely done anything but work and watch Netflix recently - we need to redecorate our bedroom but when I think about doing that now it feels like climbing a mountain, even though this is an ideal time to do it. So any advice on gaining motivation when you have none would be gratefully received! Mad respect to those of you with kids, I have no idea how you do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m really sorry to leave such a short message in response to such significant and personal posts over the last few pages. Between a new job, an unforeseen house move, family stuff and recovering from Covid I’ve pretty much just been using this site recently for quick laughs, and I’ll be spread thin over the next few weeks but would like to offer more support once things have settled down a bit.

In the meantime, a few things that may help are:

- The Kindness Method by Shahroo Izadi, brilliant book and definitely not ‘just another self-help book’
- The Compassionate Mind workbook
- Smiling Mind is a free app that has guided mindfulness sessions. There’s loads on there but I keep coming back to a short ‘body scan’ session. I’d recommend bringing a few minutes of something like this in to a daily routine, even on the days when things feel like ok. There’s a lot to be said for switching off for even a few minutes, it’s a bit of mental respite.
- Probably fairly obvious from my first two suggestions, but talk kindly to yourself. I’ve been through PTSD, cPTSD, hoarding, disordered eating, compulsive behaviours, risky behaviours, not taking care of myself etc etc and I wish I could go back and give my younger self a cwtch and tell her to go easier on herself. The same applies if there’s not a MH element but things are tough with circumstances and everything that’s going on. You may not be able to change much today, but you may be able to do something kind for yourself that’ll help how you feel tomorrow, and so it goes on until the light becomes bright again.

💜

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Sorry to muscle in @Mazerati but if you would be happy to share that on the thread I’d also be interested in it.
Happy to. So most people looking for an assessment for adult adhd are going to Psychiatry Uk - https://www.psychiatry-uk.com/. They have a section about adult adhd and, specifically the Right to Choose. All you need to do is have your GP refer you to them under the Right to Choose. On the website there is a section on how to explain it to your GP so they can agree to refer. Many CCGs have an agreement with PUK to pay for assessment and treatment. Once accepted the turnaround time is really quick between getting assessed - diagnosed and treatment plan.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
On a related topic to the AH stuff - I would reccomend Promising Young Women. It's really well made and acted, and is confronting and anger inducing but also funny in parts and just really good.
I've been desperate to watch this since I saw the trailer last year, hoping it lives up to expectations. Where did you watch it?

Reactions: 2
Sending love to @ThisIsMyDragName , @GTL Old-Timer , and anyone else who is struggling at the moment. It's heartbreaking knowing how hard so many people are finding things at the moment, but have found it very uplifting catching up on the conversation here and all the useful advice.

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have my physical health, a job, and only myself/my husband to look after, and am doing my best to remember this and be grateful for it when I'm feeling tit. I see how friends and people on here who have kids are struggling with the extra pressure and I know I don't have it too bad. But I'm also totally stuck in a rut and feel depression and anxiety symptoms lurking. Going running is the one thing I know will help my mood but haven't been able to force myself out for a couple of weeks now. I've barely done anything but work and watch Netflix recently - we need to redecorate our bedroom but when I think about doing that now it feels like climbing a mountain, even though this is an ideal time to do it. So any advice on gaining motivation when you have none would be gratefully received! Mad respect to those of you with kids, I have no idea how you do it.
Hi. I just wanted to tell you that you don't need to give yourself a hard time about the room redecoration. Just doing what you can to get through this particularly weird time - EVEN WITH ALL THE GRATITUDE AND LUCK YOU FEEL - is ok. It's January, it's lockdown, it's all fricking groundhog day. If you feel like making a start on the redecoration, start super small but don't force it. I am the queen of getting stuck in starting or making headway in a project like this. If you want, you and I can tackle our respective rooms together. I tried getting a pintrest, but that just sent me down a rabbit hole of choices aplenty. What I need to do is narrow stuff down and decide. What first small step do you want to take? Maybe just a daydream and doodle of room ideas? Pm if you want, we can be room reno buddies!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I've been desperate to watch this since I saw the trailer last year, hoping it lives up to expectations. Where did you watch it?
In the cinema! It was my first movie in the cinema since Feb last year. (I am in Australia, so it's safe)

Reactions: 2
That picture of her Sunday roast in Stories - she's really pushing the 'foodie' angle now.
Despite myself I am intrigued. It can't simply be a comfort food memoir style thing can it?
I think the whole 'it is such an original idea my publisher was astonished' is throwing us off the (nana) scent.

Reactions: 4
Hello I usually come here to post piss taking comments about Sali but just wanted to say how impressed I am by the support and sisterly advice you share here. It's a beautiful thing to see x
My thoughts exactly. I don't have enough time to participate as much as I'd like to right now, but this thread is such a great place. I'm co-parenting with an ex who suffers from depression and any insight is really helpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.