Sali Hughes #22 pretty narcissistic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've nothing against Sanskrit on the wall, and the menu looks ok to me (overpriced, but then I'm Indian and used to cheaper prices and knowing where to go to eat). I also have zero objection to white people owning an Indian restaurant. That is all fine. What I cannot get my head round is people in fancy dress.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I've nothing against Sanskrit on the wall, and the menu looks ok to me (overpriced, but then I'm Indian and used to cheaper prices and knowing where to go to eat). I also have zero objection to white people owning an Indian restaurant. That is all fine. What I cannot get my head round is people in fancy dress.
A bit like Wahaca is fancy dress mexican. Not literally people in fancy dress, but people playing with elements of other cultures.

Reactions: 5
A bit like Wahaca is fancy dress mexican. Not literally people in fancy dress, but people playing with elements of other cultures.
Oh I see. Yeah I'm actually not that bothered by that. But I loathe having to pay £5.50 for gol guppa. Especially if they're not great.

Reactions: 2
Oh I see. Yeah I'm actually not that bothered by that. But I loathe having to pay £5.50 for gol guppa. Especially if they're not great.
I'm kind of bothered by privileged white folk making money off the back of romanticised/anglicised versions of poor cultures. I don't expect everyone else to be bothered by it though!

Reactions: 12
I'm not Indian and it bothers me too. To me it feels like cultural appropriation. Maybe I've no business getting bothered by it but I can't help it

Reactions: 6
I'm not Indian and it bothers me too. To me it feels like cultural appropriation. Maybe I've no business getting bothered by it but I can't help it
Lots of Indian families wouldn't be able to afford the poor person food they're selling at grossly inflated prices. Idk it just seems a bit sucky/gentrification bollocks.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Someone feel free to correct me if I’ve got it wrong, but someone once wrote “column” and it autocorrected to Colin and this was the cause of much hilarity and became an ongoing reference. It’s so twee, like emergency Bruce (whenever it looked like it might kick off, usually about sunscreen, someone would post a photo of a shirtless, younger Bruce Springsteen)
The line about things kicking off due to sunscreen made me howl

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Continuing from my last post, trying to fact-check/sense-check the Radio 5 interview. As before, do let me know if I've got anything wrong (though I'm not saying anything very new here).

Having referred to ‘dragging’ at the start of the programme, EB now asks SH what ‘dragging’ is.

SH: ‘A dragging site is where people congregate to just slate people. That’s the point of it. So very often you’re not even allowed to be positive about somebody. So if you go on and defend someone or say ‘that’s not true and I can prove it’ they just delete and block you very often.’

Comment (1): Tattle Life describes itself as a ‘commentary website’. When the Mother of Daughters story was covered in the national press last year, Tattle was described variously as an ‘online forum’, ‘discussion forum’, ‘gossip forum’ or ‘gossip site’. When I google the term ‘dragging site’ the only results relate to SH’s Radio 4 programme. It appears to have been a term devised for the programme.

Comment (2): There is much evidence here to disprove SH’s repeated assertion that positive comments are deleted and people posting positive comments blocked. Like others, I’ve posted positive comments here about SH and comments putting another point of view where I’ve felt criticism was ungrounded. None of my comments has been deleted.

In an attempt to disprove SH’s claim once and for all, the administrator here recently reported as follows (post #777 on SH thread #20):

‘Positive comments are not deleted, people that come here to troll and disrupt are.

There are 21 threads so about 21'000 posts on Sali Hughes threads and a total of 37 comments have been deleted by mods by members that are banned.

I've gone through and read all 37 just now and none are really positive comments about Sali, they are attempts to disrupt here and clearly against the guidelines so were deleted.

Attached a few of them so you can see the types of posts that are deleted, several of the deleted posts came from the same person with different accounts.’

12 examples of the 37 deleted posts are attached as examples and they are as the administrator describes: the tone is abusive, the language offensive.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Got it. At 16 mins 25 secs she says how she needed a nanny when she was a single mum and now no longer does because her partner lives with her:

Omg, this seems to be the story of her life.

She says something. We repeat it, or comment on it. She says, 'how dare they say this/comment on this - it should be off limits'.

Repeat, with rage.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Omg, this seems to be the story of her life.

She says something. We repeat it, or comment on it. She says, 'how dare they say this/comment on this - it should be off limits'.

Repeat, with rage.
She says something. We repeat it, or comment on it. She says, 'how dare they say this/comment on this - it should be off limits' - she then repeats it to a far far greater audience on Twitter, on the BBC, in the Guardian....

Reactions: 9
Lots of Indian families wouldn't be able to afford the poor person food they're selling at grossly inflated prices. Idk it just seems a bit sucky/gentrification bollocks.
Yeah I agree. Fetishization/gentrification of food has always been a thing which is irritating.

Reactions: 5
what is this theory please? I need to learn it.
It's from this book. It's very 80s but I think there's a lot of truth to it. Based on your colouring, skin tone, etc you're either spring, summer, autumn or winter. It gives advice on what the best colours are for each season and how to judge which season you are. My Mum had a copy, I must order my own

I went to 'get my colours done' at one point. So Bridget Jones :ROFLMAO:

A lady held lots of little swatches of coloured fabric up to my face and we decided which ones made me look good. She then put a little wallet together of my colour profile, including swatches of the colours that suited me best, for me to bear in mind when shopping etc. It is also relevant for make up, jewellery, anything near your face. It doesn't apply to the bottom half though, so a good loophole if you like a colour but it doesn't suit you is to wear it as a skirt, trousers, shoes etc. Top tip there which I should get paid for.

I'm not sure that my lady gave me a season, but I'd be autumn. I'm pale (so so pale :ROFLMAO:), have auburn tinges in my dark blonde/middleish brown hair and blue eyes. It's quite easy for me as essentially warm colours are what suit me: think autumn leaves. Black washes me out so my staple 'background' colour for workwear etc is navy blue and sometimes brown. Jewellery wise, gold suits me, as its warm toned. Likewise, warm toned makeup - brown/bronze eye products look best. Warm orange and yellow are good on me, but I wear plenty of other bright colours and just go for the warm side of the spectrum. With grey, charcoal looks alright but pale grey is very unflattering etc.

It definitely works for me - I used to think there was something wrong with my skin colour because I looked ill in stuff without makeup, so felt I had to wear makeup/fake tan, but actually I was just trying to make colours happen that aren't suited to my natural state. I've now thrown all that stuff out and feel better about myself basically every time I look in the mirror.

One thing I would say is that your current hair and skin colour affect your profile, so if I'd gone when I was younger and wore fake tan/had my hair bleached, a different set of colours would've suited me.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I went to 'get my colours done' at one point. So Bridget Jones :ROFLMAO:

A lady held lots of little swatches of coloured fabric up to my face and we decided which ones made me look good. She then put a little wallet together of my colour profile, including swatches of the colours that suited me best, for me to bear in mind when shopping etc. It is also relevant for make up, jewellery, anything near your face. It doesn't apply to the bottom half though, so a good loophole if you like a colour but it doesn't suit you is to wear it as a skirt, trousers, shoes etc. Top tip there which I should get paid for.

I'm not sure that my lady gave me a season, but I'd be autumn. I'm pale (so so pale :ROFLMAO:), have auburn tinges in my dark blonde/middleish brown hair and blue eyes. It's quite easy for me as essentially warm colours are what suit me: think autumn leaves. Black washes me out so my staple 'background' colour for workwear etc is navy blue and sometimes brown. Jewellery wise, gold suits me, as its warm toned. Likewise, warm toned makeup - brown/bronze eye products look best. Warm orange and yellow are good on me, but I wear plenty of other bright colours and just go for the warm side of the spectrum. With grey, charcoal looks alright but pale grey is very unflattering etc.

It definitely works for me - I used to think there was something wrong with my skin colour because I looked ill in stuff without makeup, so felt I had to wear makeup/fake tan, but actually I was just trying to make colours happen that aren't suited to my natural state. I've now thrown all that stuff out and feel better about myself basically every time I look in the mirror.

One thing I would say is that your current hair and skin colour affect your profile, so if I'd gone when I was younger and wore fake tan/had my hair bleached, a different set of colours would've suited me.
I did too. I'm spring - and, specifically, 'sweet pea colours'. Only problem is I don't like effing 'sweet pea colours' (no offence to the flower, which I love) so I never used my little wallet of swatches.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.