Sali Hughes #22 pretty narcissistic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Women can’t win either way. We either engage in beauty treatments because of the patriarchy or disengage because we are stern feminists. I’ve lost track of the ongoing debate but by the last tally women are seemingly incapable of doing anything to their physique unless there are ulterior motives for it. It’s bad if we want to ‘look ourselves’ and it’s bad if we ‘let ourself go’. (Btw both expressions are 🤢).
I think I’ve found a peaceful middle way, where I’m absolutely up to date on skincare/beauty, but too goddam lazy to do a thing about it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
@NotDumbNotBlonde I like “skin health” actually. Less loaded, more neutral. I don’t want to do “beauty” I’m no looker and never really will be. I just want to look ok and decent.
Grooming makes me think of ponies and cats, I guess as men have hairy faces it makes sense they get groomed?
It is an interesting point, personally I think 'skin health' can be loaded (like the stereotypical assumption that people with acne are unhealthy), whilst grooming sounds like making do with what you have. It is gendered though definitely, and I wish 'fast fashion' was replaced with 'fast textiles', because it overlooks things like new season football shirts and, in my mind, assumes the consumer is a young woman in primark/boohoo, rather than any other consumer buying fabric items.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Almost the scariest thing is her saying at the end of the Radio 5 programme something like: To anyone listening, if you ever feel tempted to go to that site just out of curiosity to have a look at what's being said, don't - because you'll be adding to their Google results and indirectly helping to destroy lives.
Omg that's such nasty manipulation!

If she had nothing to hide, she might be sending people here herself so that they come back sympathetic to her cause.

It is an interesting point, personally I think 'skin health' can be loaded (like the stereotypical assumption that people with acne are unhealthy), whilst grooming sounds like making do with what you have. It is gendered though definitely, and I wish 'fast fashion' was replaced with 'fast textiles', because it overlooks things like new season football shirts and, in my mind, assumes the consumer is a young woman in primark/boohoo, rather than any other consumer buying fabric items.
Yeah, I was thinking that a lot of what we look for in 'great' skin is merely superficial, and not related to its health - like small pores and no scarring, for example.

New thread time! Have we had any suggestions? I can't remember.

Reactions: 8
PSA for the Twitterati!!

This is how to criticise popular culture:

Saying something is tit isn’t all that funny or interesting. I can do that myself all day long and I also am forced to sit in an office with other people who do that all day long. Dissecting things tongue in cheek but with serious and interesting points? That’s worth reading.

And another thing about the Brit Twit contingent: Why the conversations about crisps in public? A serious journalist is flexing her eagle eye and unflinching critique.... but wait.... she’s only talking about Monster Munch! What is she like? Ugh it’s just a roller coaster with this one. One minute slogan candles with no conversation, the next minute Quavers for an entire thread! This is the content the internet was made for.

Reactions: 8
Sali Hughes - Dragging, bragging and maintenance shagging

Or bragging could be tagging, as in tagging your sponsored posts.

Sali Hughes - Welsh "dragging"

(Was trying to think of a dragon / dragging pun)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Almost the scariest thing is her saying at the end of the Radio 5 programme something like: To anyone listening, if you ever feel tempted to go to that site just out of curiosity to have a look at what's being said, don't - because you'll be adding to their Google results and indirectly helping to destroy lives.
It was rather sinister, take what I say at face value without any evidence and don't you dare think for yourself based on proof. Pretty much the dictionary definition of disinformation.

Many people would (wrongly) assume that the BBC did basic fact checking.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It was rather sinister, take what I say at face value without any evidence and don't you dare think for yourself based on proof. Pretty much the dictionary definition of disinformation.

Sali has some gall walking past the Orwell statue outside the beeb to make her rantumentary.

“If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I think it was made in Salford 😆

The new director general should probably hear of this debacle, it does highlight the current low standards and shocking lack of impartiality. A tabloid hack churning out articles all day would have done more investigation.

Reactions: 11
Bloody hell, the hair and beauty industry are struggling after lockdown - and Sali is having a freebie. You couldn’t make it up. Pay, you tight arse hypocrites. Make me sick. 🤬

• Angry
Reactions: 17
The new director general should probably hear of this debacle, it does highlight the current low standards and shocking lack of impartiality. A tabloid hack churning out articles all day would have done more investigation.
After SH had announced that she was making a 'documentary' for BBC Radio 4, I posted this here (11 September):

'I imagine that on social media platforms she can say pretty well what she likes, but if she's using a Radio 4 documentary to broadcast the same misinformation and promote the same personal agenda that's another matter. The BBC's reputation is based on being impartial and reliable and the new Director General has strongly reaffirmed his commitment to that. On his first - I think - day in the job he warned journalists against being driven by personal agendas.

If she's making a documentary as a journalist, surely the BBC will require that it meet certain standards relating to factual accuracy, evidence, impartiality, depth and range of enquiry, a balance of perspectives, context, analysis, understanding? I'd have thought she would also be required to be open about her personal involvement in any subject on which she was reporting.

Even if, alternatively, she's making it as a first-person story - again, I'd have thought there was a requirement for factual accuracy, evidence, honesty, context and perspective.'

• Wow
I'm not sure who disgusts me more- the influencers with greasy palms greedily accepting freebies they can easily afford or the salon owners themselves that are giving them out. Maybe devote your and your staffs time to actual paying customers rather than leeches? Just shows how inflated prices are if non blue ticks are subsidising the influencers and their freebies

Exactly. And the warning to lurkers was well weird, too! She just doesn't want anyone reading here so she's trying to scare them off doing so. It clearly hasn't worked though judging by the new members on this thread! 😂

Reactions: 6
I see she is sponging another free Hershesons haircut today in return for her IG posts. How are the integrity levels Sali? Absolute grifter.

• Angry
With the way she is currently wearing her hair it does not really need much salon upkeep, and it looks no different after the cut.

Fair enough if she just went to support the salon by PAYING them, but no. Drives me mad. MUST-GET-ALL-THE-FREEBIES-POSSIBLE.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
I feel another Sali satire coming on..

New thread here:

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.