Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh believe me, I ask myself this question a lot! I do love a good witch and gossip online. But in my defence, I don’t like bitching for bitching’s sake... I prefer my bitching to be funny and clever and (most importantly) justified 😂
What is the line between 'bitching' and 'debating'... it seems like quite a gendered one...

Reactions: 1
I just remembered a story – triggered by someone mentioning Emma Kennedy. She didn’t know Simon Ricketts (Guardian writer age sub) but when she found out on Twitter that he was terminally ill, she elbowed her way into the situation and kept posting updates (gleaned from the updates of people who actually knew him) about his situation as if she was the official spokesperson for him. And when he did she did a lot of demonstrative public mourning for him despite never meeting him or even “knowing” him on Twitter. Remind you of anyone?

Oh, and I heard that at her birthday parties, Emma Kennedy would make everyone sit around her in a horseshoe and applaud when she opened each present. This was not when she was a kid. This was when she was in her 30s and 40s.
Just read her article (Emma Kennedy) in the DM (sorry!) today about her mother’s death. Tied up with bows about how things should not be left unsaid but am I the only one who thinks saying your mother was mentally ill after her death when she is not there to defend herself it’s a little distasteful along with making money out of grief...

Just read her article (Emma Kennedy) in the DM (sorry!) today about her mother’s death. Tied up with bows about how things should not be left unsaid but am I the only one who thinks saying your mother was mentally ill after her death when she is not there to defend herself it’s a little distasteful along with making money out of grief...
Just googled it and it's interesting that along with the article that came up there was also her tweets taking the DM to task on terrorism and equality. She must have forgiven them so she could work for them.

Anyway, sorry, she's not Sali and this is the Sali thread but maybe as someone suggested upthread there should be a thread for this bunch of fearless warriers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imagine how the Daily Mail would have reported this if a brown man with a beard had ploughed into people coming out of church at Christmas</p>&mdash; Emma Kennedy (@EmmaKennedy) <a href="">June 19, 2017</a></blockquote>< script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey Daily Mail. When two women get engaged, you don&#39;t have to put quotation marks around the words &quot;engagement&quot; and &quot;fiancee&quot;. Happy to help</p>&mdash; Emma Kennedy (@EmmaKennedy) <a href="">March 17, 2014</a></blockquote>< script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: 2
It’s a horrible thing to write (particularly for the DM) and for what purpose? To fill column inches and garner sympathy for yourself. Same with the one Sali wrote, which her brothers made her take down. Dreadful invasion of privacy.

All you lovely people here, I’ve decided to delete my account 😭. After reading the Sali response on the Mumsnet thread I just feel sick.

I’m a very anxious person and she comes across as aggressive. I’m obsessing over it. I definitely would not be able to handle a conversation with her.

Am sorry as I think this thread is super important.

And for the record I think you all here are wonderful 😘

• Sad
Reactions: 4
It’s a horrible thing to write (particularly for the DM) and for what purpose? To fill column inches and garner sympathy for yourself. Same with the one Sali wrote, which her brothers made her take down. Dreadful invasion of privacy.
I am not sure I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment. There is something cathartic and honestly therapeutic about reading the experiences of people whose histories are similar to one’s own. I know it’s certainly helped me. And on the issue of mother-daughter estrangement which is still quite a taboo, articles like these are certainly welcome, in my view at least.

HOWEVER, what I DO take issue with is Sali’s disticnct lack of capacity to think critically and honestly. As I pointed out earlier, where was her father when she had runaway from home?? And why did he not stage an intervention?!?! Yet she never has a bad word to say about him. Something about her version of events just doesn’t ring true for me.

Reactions: 3
All you lovely people here, I’ve decided to delete my account 😭. After reading the Sali response on the Mumsnet thread I just feel sick.

I’m a very anxious person and she comes across as aggressive. I’m obsessing over it. I definitely would not be able to handle a conversation with her.

It’s a shame you’ve taken that decision but you have to do what’s right for you. Do remember that you don’t have to communicate with Sali if she decided to post here .

Take care.

• Heart
I think it’s a fair point to ask ourselves if we’re just bitching needlessly. Yesterday it occurred to me that things had come to such a head that if Sali (or CH, or any of the others) had single-handedly saved the lives of 6 kittens right in front of me, I’d have found a way to have a problem with the way she did it. This is true.

HOWEVER: I do think that these people are not yet subject to rigorous enough scrutiny in how they earn their living and how they gain their freebies. It has been eye-opening to many of us here that since the law changed earlier this year, we’ve started to see quite how much tit they got away with for years. In many cases they did this while claiming to be consumer champions, whose opinions weren’t for sale- simply couldn’t be bought.

The law has not yet caught up with many of these people. I hope that in time it will. I hope that they are told that if they accept a free haircut a year (or 8 or 9 of them), they’ll need to declare it as a gift (not a PR experience), put it in their tax return and pay any tax due on it.

They have been absolutely getting away with murder on this front for too long, and what really galls me is that while they’ve been doing this, they’ve pretended to be our friend, our neighbour, our mum, our Everywoman. They have played on “relatable” posts about their kids and their marriages, their skincare concerns, to monetise our own fears for their personal gain. So to return to my first paragraph, I don’t think this is needless bitchery. I think we’re sore because we feel we’ve been lied to.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think it’s a fair point to ask ourselves if we’re just bitching needlessly. Yesterday it occurred to me that things had come to such a head that if Sali (or CH, or any of the others) had single-handedly saved the lives of 6 kittens right in front of me, I’d have found a way to have a problem with the way she did it. This is true.

HOWEVER: I do think that these people are not yet subject to rigorous enough scrutiny in how they earn their living and how they gain their freebies. It has been eye-opening to many of us here that since the law changed earlier this year, we’ve started to see quite how much tit they got away with for years. In many cases they did this while claiming to be consumer champions, whose opinions weren’t for sale- simply couldn’t be bought.

The law has not yet caught up with many of these people. I hope that in time it will. I hope that they are told that if they accept a free haircut a year (or 8 or 9 of them), they’ll need to declare it as a gift (not a PR experience), put it in their tax return and pay any tax due on it.

They have been absolutely getting away with murder on this front for too long, and what really galls me is that while they’ve been doing this, they’ve pretended to be our friend, our neighbour, our mum, our Everywoman. They have played on “relatable” posts about their kids and their marriages, their skincare concerns, to monetise our own fears for their personal gain. So to return to my first paragraph, I don’t think this is needless bitchery. I think we’re sore because we feel we’ve been lied to.
Yes like you and Carryonnursing I do sometimes think what I have said is unkind. Well I know it is. But - and it is a big but - Sali and others have talked about all aspects of their life for financial gain as you say. Quite often changing the narrative to suit themselves and I hate to say it sometimes lying. Also getting aggressive when anyone even meekly challenges them. I hate the way they wriggle and wriggle to avoid saying THIS WAS FREE. And not just that but I WAS PAID TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO BUY IT whilst pretending to have loved it for years. So many people on this thread were formerly Sali fans. We can't all be wrong can we?

Reactions: 8

I read that article. The comments left afterwards were sad and more interesting than the article. I am not familiar with Emma Kennedy.

Have been awol and not caught up with the past couple of pages but I am really sorry to read this. The fact you do feel that way speaks volumes about the sort of person she is though.

Completely respect your decision, just sad about it.

I do my best not to focus on the look of Sali, Caroline or criticise the choices they make to improve what they think their faces need ; they both look very fresh and healthy. I don’t think I’m scathing with regard to them personally.

I am , like all posters, pissed off with Sali because she clearly uses procedures to look good yet doesn’t state that fact with any clarity at all.

She’ll write #nofilter #notouchup yet that’s not true because she’s done something to herself.

It’s not bitchy here; it’s annoyance that someone who was once a hero for women is now one who we question for her ethics.

Last edited:
Let us not forget that Sali's column for the The Pool was headed 'Sali Hughes puts the world to rights' as of course only she knows the right way to do everything.... It is a shame none of these articles can be found online as it would make great fodder for this thread.
Some can be via WayBack Machine! The internet never forgets 👀

Hopefully this link works for everyone: https://web.archive.org/web/20190202130745/https://www.the-pool.com/search?q=sali+hughes👀

I do my best not to focus on the look of Sali, Caroline or criticise the choices they make to improve what they think their faces need ; they both look very fresh and healthy. I don’t think I’m scathing with regard to them personally.

I am , like all posters, pissed off with Sali because she clearly uses procedures to look good yet doesn’t state that fact with any clarity at all.

She’ll write #nofilter #notouchup yet that’s not true because she’s done something to herself.

It’s not bitchy here; it’s annoyance that someone who was once a hero for women is now one who we question for her ethics.
You summed it up brilliantly. One of the things I find really distasteful about Sali is her ease at changing her own backstory to suit whatever situation she is trying to shoehorn herself into at the time. There are so many holes and discrepancies.

The Carey situation was wrong on too many levels to even go into. I think that also gives a good insight into the sort of person she is. I hadn’t seen that Mumsnet thread before, completely made me cringe, I didn’t see it as defending a friend, just again putting herself right into the middle of a situation so she can be part of it. Another ‘Sali saves the say’ story.

She has hoodwinked with a lot of deceit. This is a forum for our opinions and grievances about people who choose to put themselves in a public arena, if they aren’t honest they deserve to be called out, even if it is just in the comfort of this forum. You would never win an argument with Sali, she knows it all and is always right, in her head anyway.

The Wayback Machine, of course!

Just had a quick look and found this. Gosh, the bitterness and resentment just pours out. And the people who wronged her would recognise themselves immediately. But I think that’s the point - not so much passive-aggression as aggressive-aggression.

Doesn’t make good column fodder though, does it? In fact, I’m getting really bored of self-styled journalists who only write opinion pieces. I feel like my Twitter lately is full of links and retweets to some writer moaning on about some minor inconvenience that happened to them that week 😴

Edit: oops, forgot the link!

Moan moan moan

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I've never really understood how opinion is journalism.

I used to enjoy The Pool, but it was very white feminism, and very London based.
I got fed up with the 'Women we love' segment (amongst other things) and assumption we all think exactly the same (as you say the acceptable mainly London based woke echo chamber).

I agree, and I’ve lived in London for 20 years. None of that stuff felt relevant to my life. (Also the clothes they all loved were terrible.)

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.