Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Do you guys like her look? It’s quite ‘done’ and very Instagram/influencer. On one hand I like it, I would never say she looked anything other than well put together and pretty.

On the other hand I’m so fatigued with the level of intervention for a look like hers. I’m not sure if it’s an age thing but it’s boring and over-styled/filtered/made-up.
Couldn't see her face, her tits were in the way

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Ella77

I think it’s a fair point to ask ourselves if we’re just bitching needlessly. Yesterday it occurred to me that things had come to such a head that if Sali (or CH, or any of the others) had single-handedly saved the lives of 6 kittens right in front of me, I’d have found a way to have a problem with the way she did it. This is true.

HOWEVER: I do think that these people are not yet subject to rigorous enough scrutiny in how they earn their living and how they gain their freebies. It has been eye-opening to many of us here that since the law changed earlier this year, we’ve started to see quite how much shit they got away with for years. In many cases they did this while claiming to be consumer champions, whose opinions weren’t for sale- simply couldn’t be bought.

The law has not yet caught up with many of these people. I hope that in time it will. I hope that they are told that if they accept a free haircut a year (or 8 or 9 of them), they’ll need to declare it as a gift (not a PR experience), put it in their tax return and pay any tax due on it.

They have been absolutely getting away with murder on this front for too long, and what really galls me is that while they’ve been doing this, they’ve pretended to be our friend, our neighbour, our mum, our Everywoman. They have played on “relatable” posts about their kids and their marriages, their skincare concerns, to monetise our own fears for their personal gain. So to return to my first paragraph, I don’t think this is needless bitchery. I think we’re sore because we feel we’ve been lied to.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Mokie

Chatty Member
New to the forum, Hello!

I though I was the only one to feel this way about SH. I was once a devotee but have since seen the wood for the tree so to speak. I think the penny started to drop when she wrote about her Son being in hospital. She name checked a handcream I had never heard of and said all the nurses on the ward her son was on “swore by it”. Then a few weeks later I started seeing this new brand of handcream everywhere. It was a new launch. I smelt a rat. Literally before then if Sali recommended something, I’m embarrassed to admit, I’d be first in the queue for it. Another time she recommended a primer. I went out to buy it only to be told there was a waiting list as a “popular blogger” had wrote about said the sales assistant. Weeks later I got my hands on the primer and it was crap. A complete waste of £32. Oh well I thought. Then about a year later Sali started harping on about said primer, that it was being discontinued and to rush out an get a tube. I’m certain SH knew a quick mention would boost the weeks sales figure.

I honestly liked and admired her when she started out. Now I can’t bare her smug, self righteous, know it all manner. I witnessed her being super rude to anyone that dares question her on Twitter or Insta.

I’m being a complete bitch now but since she apparently from the Welsh valleys, what is that accent? And the anecdote that her love of makeup stems from when her Granny said something about always being ready for an adventure (toes curl) And she really wants us to see her new watch eh!

Reactions: 17

PJMcZ

Brighton Pride today, aka National Sali Day, self-appointed spokesperson for all the gays (as long as they’re men). Because what Pride is all about is straight women commandeering it like it’s a terrible hen party, and making it all about them.

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Mselvista

VIP Member
I don’t understand the pistol in your knickers analogy , can someone with knowledge as superior as Sali enlighten me please?
I think the quote from Pretty Honest was wearing Cno5 is akin to having a loaded pistol in your knickers which I think is supposed to conjure up the image of someone who is sexy, ready for anything and "nails" whereas in actuality it would mean you'd be likely to shoot yourself in the twat.

• Haha

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Sali invented 🍆 as the penis substitute.
Has been using it since before emojis were invented.
Since before twitter.
Since before the internet.
When everyone else were drawing cock and balls on their school books, Sali was drawing aubergines.
She’s been using the aubergine emoji since 2008? I can’t remember when emoji usage started being commonplace but it wasn’t bloody 2008.

So I Googled...

The aubergine (OK, “eggplant”) emoji was introduced in 2010 🤣

Attachments

• Haha
Note how she made sure to mention in her caption on her menopause podcast that she’s not menopausal. Ffs Sali, isn’t the whole point to not be embarrassed to be menopausal?! She must be in the age range to be peri-menopausal or about to be
It's probably a weak dilute of menopause for our Sal. Nothing too icky.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
D

Deleted member 14542

Loves sex loads. Known about it forever.

• Haha

PJMcZ

I’m still laughing at the “us authors” line from her Judith Kerr post. Extraordinary level of delusion/ lack of self-awareness. Also given that post she did about her “daddy”, featuring him working abroad in some kind of colonial safari outfit, and her mother’s predilection for designer gear & perfume, and being in London “on business” - it’s almost as though her poverty-stricken blue-collar background is total bollocks.

Last edited:

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
The comments on yesterday’s selfie with the ring light are so good.

One girl says how refreshing the podcast is because it came from intelligent and articulate women. Meanwhile CH and SH are really giving us some food for thought on topic of face tanners:

CH: that (tanning) serum means I had to buy new foundation as mine were too Pale.

SH: Yep. Very weird to suddenly discover none of the foundations on your dressing table work

WOW! 👏👏👏👏👏👏 Very articulate. Much intelligence on display. Talk more.

Whilst I’m at it - why the need to say it’s refreshing to hear intelligent women? Excuse me? Intelligent women are everywhere. It’s loudmouths like these lot who eclipse the real treasures! It doesn’t do much for the feminist cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
M

Member 24349

My thoughts about Sali chime with so many of you. I initially loved her guardian column, and valued her opinion. I joined gtl, but I'm not really a participating member, a definite lurker on groups. I loved the community that emerged from it and the forum, then after some reason, I spent time away from it, and it seemed to have changed. Major voices were gone, and it seemed to be more a place where the chief bitch whispered about those who had annoyed her. On Instagram, the reality of Sali as a unassailable, truly impartial "trier-outer" of things for us, the humble public, seems to fracture. A gilded, gifted, life-for-sale emerged, and her voice was no longer one I trusted. I read a post on Instagram a few weeks ago, and I though "she's a fucking mean girl chief"... Then I found this thread and its preceding one. What relief, I'm not alone! And, I love the new beauty thread you've set up. I still on gtl, not the forum, and I still read sali's stuff, but it's like I'm willing her to live up to what she used to pretend to be. Journalist my arse.

Reactions: 13

Mselvista

VIP Member
I like to take a break from social media when I'm waiting for my biannual Botox to settle in. Not from Twitter or Facebook where it's just typing though. (I know next to nothing about Botox so acknowledge this may not actually be a thing).

• Haha

RayRayJay

That IG video. Urgh. Feel ill. It's like when you work for an absolute bitch and you're trying to explain a good bit of work you've done and she doesn't give a fuck and just wants away to go a flirt with a hot married guy at the other end of the room.

• Haha

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
Ohh - I’m here purely by accident because I’ve got sick to death of the hypocrisy of the likes of “ beauty influencers “ like Sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons- it’s taken me a while to cotton onto the deceit and the “ half truths” these two roughly sketch their careers out with but one of the ITB was with Mary Greenwell ( except it wasn’t in the bathroom at all ) who clearly hadn’t heard of the makeup artist Hughes claimed to have been assistant to and had no knowledge of Hughes ever having been an assistant make up artist ( at 14 ?) . Some of the things Hughes writes make no sense at all - she’s one of four children meaning she has a younger sibling but her mother still left her feckless father ( who worked abroad ?) with four small children - no woman leaves her children unless she’s ill - I wondered if Hughes has ever considered that her mother might have actually been ill rather than blaming her for everything. I also know my parents would have dragged me back from London kicking and screaming if I’d left home to be with a much older man and obviously in a sexual relationship. I’m older than Hughes , but that kind of behaviour wasn’t tolerated . As for Hirons - words fail me - I couldn’t take beauty advice off a woman who behaves so unprofessionally and has a face full of not very convincing fillers .
I’m a hater when it comes to Sali but I don’t think it’s fair to assume she’s lied about all aspects of her upbringing, nor to say that “no woman would abandon her children” (women do, for many reasons including mental health troubles, addiction, not wanting to be a mother, etc etc) and that they would have brought her back home kicking and screaming. Maybe that’s your experience but disfunctional or uncaring families exist and it’s entirely possible her sob story is real. I don’t doubt she exaggerated for effect like she does with everything but we have plenty of facts to criticise her with without wandering into her past, which we can’t really dissect as we have nothing to back up a claim that she lied.

Reactions: 12

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Apparently no dye exists that she can use, as she snarkily reminds everyone who makes helpful suggestions, so she's either telling fibs or will soon unveil some marvellous PPD-free "press treatment" she's been having.
Imagine silly people having the nerve trying to actually tell her something. And Lackey Lauren 'oh of course you don't really actually NEED it Sali'. She really is Smithers.
Speaking of The Pool closing, Sali's sadness today at Marie Claire closing reminds me of her absolute love of magazines which in turn reminds me of a wonderful ITB moment with Claudia Winkleman. I don't always get on with CW but I thought this was priceless. They were talking about bath routines and what you do in it. Sali of course loving everything Claudia said she did and had done for ages. Claudia said she listened to the radio and read books - 'Yes. Love' - then Sali said 'oh and I love a mag'. Claudia - 'magazines? Oh god no. I'm an adult'. Now those might not be exactly the words but near enough. Hilarious.

• Haha
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Has anybody listened to her latest podcast on beauty as empowerment? I haven't but in insta comments someone says she says (of course) the importance of a red lip :sick: and also using Chanel no 5 is like 'having a pistol in your knickers'. Double :sick::sick:. Did she really? And wtaf does it even mean? I know it's all about being sassy and sexy but bleurgh. I read an article recently about 'unfluencers'. I'd not heard of the term before but it is about influencers who irritate you so much you start hating everything they recommend even if you previously liked that thing. Sali is my ultimate unfluencer.

• Sick