Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Let us not forget that Sali's column for the The Pool was headed 'Sali Hughes puts the world to rights' as of course only she knows the right way to do everything.... It is a shame none of these articles can be found online as it would make great fodder for this thread.
šŸ˜šŸ˜

Reactions: 1
ā€œYe olde smug Sali articlesā€ - I love this!
Does anyone remember one she wrote for The Pool, with the basic premise being *everybody* else spends Sundays frantically trying to have amazing experiences and refusing to accept reality. But not clever olā€™ Sal, oh no! *She* often spends the day at home with her family, engaging in, so simple they are revolutionary, activities such as cooking dinner and playing monopoly. Yes plebs, you have got it all wrong and really should be emulating her, as she knows where itā€™s at!
I remember liking her until this point, then reading this and thinking ā€œoh just eff off!ā€ An absolute non-issue, dredged up for her to demonstrate just how unique, genuine and edgy she is.
Yes that was one of the (many) reasons I went off her. The describing in detail something quite normal and mundane as though only she really 'gets' it and then appropriating it. She finds herself so bloody quirky and fascinating. Like she is the only person ever to realise New Years Eve is ghastly and it is best to stay at home. Clever Sali worked this out years ago. While the rest of us were out tediously trying to have 'fun' she was at home eating macaroni cheese and watching an old movie with her family in her jimjams. Nobody else. Just her. We had all stupidly fallen for the hype but she could see through it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Been enjoying this eye-opening thread - thank you for all of your interesting insights. I had always enjoyed Saliā€™s writing and beauty recommendations, but I think the turning point for me came when I heard her on the Scummy Mummies podcast a few years ago and she just came across as so cold and humourless in contrast to them - there was just something very off-putting about it. I only watched one of the bathroom interviews, the one with Caitlin Moran, and even in that there was something off, like they werenā€™t genuine friends. This thread has gone a very long way to explaining why I felt like this!

Reactions: 4
This thread has moved a lot today! I have just spent a delicious few minutes drinking in all the scalding hot tea dished by AvonCalling in particular. We are not worthy! šŸ˜„

I genuinely didnā€™t know what had happened to Grace Dent. She was a Big Deal on Twitter around 2010, there was her TV column... and then she just seemed to disappear. I had no idea she was now a food writer and that sheā€™d lost weight. She looks different, doesnā€™t she?!

Ages ago, whether it was the Sali thread or another, I wondered who was the Queen Bee in the girl gang because thereā€™s always one or two. Obvs it was going to be Lala and CM (I have fond memories of unfollowing them both on Twitter in a rage - I wanted to like them, I really did - because they wrecked my timeline just TALKING TO EACH OTHER all day. It takes a lot of ego to not take that tit to DM. It means you want your chit chat to be public because youā€™re just SO funny and important).

Itā€™s amazing the way LL quietly jumped ship at The Pool and then said very little when it went tits up., other than to point out she hadnā€™t been in charge for a while. She strikes me as being a pretty ruthless customer on the quiet, and I guess no one gets from being a singer in a not very well known indie band, to cable TV yoof telly presenter, to Desert Island Discs without being ruthless. And good for her... I guess?

Let us not forget that Sali's column for the The Pool was headed 'Sali Hughes puts the world to rights' as of course only she knows the right way to do everything.... It is a shame none of these articles can be found online as it would make great fodder for this thread.
I can imagine the pitch now: ā€œPLEASE donā€™t make me write about beauty, Iā€™m a serious journalist donā€™t you know? PLEASE?ā€

Reactions: 2
So much interesting info today!

Thereā€™s no wonder The Pool went under really, it seemed as if the entire publication had a similar tone to Sali. Pompous and confident but just re-hashing tired themes.

Anyone who prides themselves on putting the world to rights is a dipstick, in my humble opinion šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

I wonder if Sali knows about this thread and whether she'll try to stop it. Mumsnet made her very cross. Maybe she'll write an article called "On Tattle"?

Reactions: 3
I wonder if Sali knows about this thread and whether she'll try to stop it. Mumsnet made her very cross. Maybe she'll write an article called "On Tattle"?
I hope not because I think challenge is healthy. A big part of my issue isnā€™t personal at all, itā€™s the fact that in England the mainstream is so homogenised. The guardian churns out the same opinions from the same handful of people, same with the BBC, bestseller book lists, Twitter.... itā€™s just all the same faces. I wouldnā€™t mind so much if any of them made me think or reflect or feel happy.

I still remember Sali chiming in on the mumsnet thread about India Knight. So perturbed was she by the level of commentary she had to chime in about her ā€œgood friend Indiaā€ she signed off her comments with ā€œSali xā€ she was slaughtered by the mumsnet lot.

I canā€™t remember if mumsnet pulled the thread as not being in the spirit of mumsnet, or some other equally unbelievable reason.

I wonder if there could be a Tattle thread on what I like to call the talking heads of twitter. You know the ones, Emma Kennedy, grace dent, Lucie cave et al who always appear on those nostalgia shows talking about celeb/pop culture in the 90s early 00s in what I think is supposed to be a snarky somewhat humorous way.

Is this the thread Sali crashed onto? Itā€™s from 2012 and itā€™s glorious despite being littered with deletions. God, Mumsnet has gone down the pan in the years since. Itā€™s really funny and REALLY brutal. A bit like Tattle, actually šŸ˜„

Thereā€™s no way the MN mods would allow a thread like this to stand in 2019.

Be warned itā€™s long

Oh and Sali Hughes, if you're reading this, disagreeing with Miss India does not make us trolls, got that?

I want to get that trending on Twitter. You'll hear the collective bullysniggers of Laverne/Knight/Dent/Moran from the top of Holloway Road

-Who was that other pudgy doughface on IK's Twitterfeed, slagging off our childish handles?!

-You mean the ever peripheral Sali Hughes?

ā€œEver peripheralā€! BRUTAL šŸ˜†

Edit: I found the posts!

Sali is shooz27

Last edited:
What do you guys think about threads like these? Do you think theyā€™re problematic/bullying?

Iā€™ve always felt like theyā€™re quite a good way to have a natural balance to things as people in the public eye are very much in control of their own narrative.

Also, in this thread Iā€™ve found the funniest and smartest people on a chat ever!

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just a complete witch? I hate the thought of being a saddo who sits around moaning all day but I actually donā€™t think this is at all. Itā€™s a breath of fresh air to break down the things which influence us all every single day.

Understanding how flawed the output of all these ā€˜gurusā€™ is has really helped me to curb spending on beauty products and take everything with a pinch of salt. Iā€™m ashamed to say I used to add products to my wish list constantly šŸ˜.

Reactions: 5
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that Mumsnet thread , thanks maytoseptemberšŸ‘.

Those were the days.

I just remembered a story ā€“ triggered by someone mentioning Emma Kennedy. She didnā€™t know Simon Ricketts (Guardian writer age sub) but when she found out on Twitter that he was terminally ill, she elbowed her way into the situation and kept posting updates (gleaned from the updates of people who actually knew him) about his situation as if she was the official spokesperson for him. And when he did she did a lot of demonstrative public mourning for him despite never meeting him or even ā€œknowingā€ him on Twitter. Remind you of anyone?

Oh, and I heard that at her birthday parties, Emma Kennedy would make everyone sit around her in a horseshoe and applaud when she opened each present. This was not when she was a kid. This was when she was in her 30s and 40s.

I just remembered a story ā€“ triggered by someone mentioning Emma Kennedy. She didnā€™t know Simon Ricketts (Guardian writer age sub) but when she found out on Twitter that he was terminally ill, she elbowed her way into the situation and kept posting updates (gleaned from the updates of people who actually knew him) about his situation as if she was the official spokesperson for him. And when he did she did a lot of demonstrative public mourning for him despite never meeting him or even ā€œknowingā€ him on Twitter. Remind you of anyone?

Oh, and I heard that at her birthday parties, Emma Kennedy would make everyone sit around her in a horseshoe and applaud when she opened each present. This was not when she was a kid. This was when she was in her 30s and 40s.
Avon Calling - you are coming up with all these nuggets of info!!

What do you guys think about threads like these? Do you think theyā€™re problematic/bullying?

Iā€™ve always felt like theyā€™re quite a good way to have a natural balance to things as people in the public eye are very much in control of their own narrative.

Also, in this thread Iā€™ve found the funniest and smartest people on a chat ever!

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just a complete witch? I hate the thought of being a saddo who sits around moaning all day but I actually donā€™t think this is at all. Itā€™s a breath of fresh air to break down the things which influence us all every single day.

Understanding how flawed the output of all these ā€˜gurusā€™ is has really helped me to curb spending on beauty products and take everything with a pinch of salt. Iā€™m ashamed to say I used to add products to my wish list constantly šŸ˜.
I know what you mean CarryOn. There is a part of me that questions whether this in itself is 'bullying' (I conclude I don't think it is) but I think the problem is that if you tried to voice any of what those of us on this thread dislike or question about these women they would shoot you down as being a troll or other such terms instead of getting into a considered argument. I think I mentioned a while ago (either on this thread or Caroline Hirons one) that this clique of women are stifling any new content from fresher or younger journos/bloggers (call them what you will) ... its all a bit jobs for the boys. They have actually become what they used to criticise themselves.

I notice Sali has been very quiet on the subject of Her Rainbow Queen being exposed as a pweirdo-enabler. Despite being a ā€œfeministā€, sheā€™s not so bothered about the girls abused by Epstein & Andrew if it they donā€™t suit her narrative presumably.

I notice Sali has been very quiet on the subject of Her Rainbow Queen being exposed as a pweirdo-enabler. Despite being a ā€œfeministā€, sheā€™s not so bothered about the girls abused by Epstein & Andrew if it they donā€™t suit her narrative presumably.
I'm no fan of the queen or Sali but it's a huge leap from being someone's mother to enabling. Also aren't the allegations about Prince Andrew are very much that at the moment?

Reactions: 4
I think critiquing what they're putting out there is fine. The main problem I've had with all these writers and broadcasters (or whatever they want to call themselves) is the inconsistencies, the unreliable narrators aspect of it all. And yes, the inability to engage with views different from their own - going into attack dog mode. None of this does anything for the Sista Cause which they all claim to be passionate about. Sali in particular drinks her own coolade - guzzles it.

The Mumsnet India Knight thread is interesting. Sali really is the defender of her friends isn't she? She talks and writes a fair amount about being fiercely loyal and protective, I suppose they're a substitute family. But Mama always told me speak up for your friends not for them and Sali did the mouthing for India and Lauren which is actually a bit sad.

Iā€™m sure both India and Lauren are more than capable of defending themselves but Sali has to jump in because she likes to remind people sheā€™s part of the gang .

CH is the same , has to jump in feet first .

Given everything the queen does is supposed to be sending out some powerful symbolic message, seeing her choosing to ride in the car with a grinning Andrew at Balmoral last weekend straight after Epstein died was sickening. As was the news today that Epstein & girls were hosted at Balmoral - then the footage of Andrew at Epsteinā€™s doorway with a girl, shot two years after Epstein had been found guilty of child abuse. The whole thing stinks, but hey, the queen wears bright colours!

Reactions: 7
I think Lauren let Sali do it for her because she didn't want to get her hands dirty - she's on the rise at the Beeb (DID) and I reckon she's got to stay squeaky clean, the timing was so bad - just as she'd taken on the 6Music breakfast show. She made a very anodyne, publicist written statement about the demise of The Pool didn't she? And she never makes any kind of statement or observation about anything on her twitter feed.

India - reckon it was beneath her to engage, but reading was sending her mad,so she let her little friend do it for her.

The Queen's going to stand by her son isn't she?

Last edited by a moderator:
I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just a complete witch?
Oh believe me, I ask myself this question a lot! I do love a good witch and gossip online. But in my defence, I donā€™t like bitching for bitchingā€™s sake... I prefer my bitching to be funny and clever and (most importantly) justified šŸ˜‚

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.