Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking at that picture now after everything that has been said on this thread leaves me feeling DEEPLY uncomfortable.

Also, do we think she actually paid for those?

Reactions: 7
The pearls Sali bought herself for the funeral? (I went back through her instagram after posting).
Gah! Trust me to remember it wrong! I was sure I'd seen a personalised set of Chanel something-or-others.

Reactions: 2
Odd - even for Sali - not to show the actual pearls. Maybe she only had a box rather than the actual pearls 'for the gram'. I wouldn't put it past her

I feel *so* manipulated over the way she played Carey’s illness and death. Imagine how her friends and family must feel.

The pearls Sali bought herself for the funeral? (I went back through her instagram after posting).
That’s actually made me feel sick. I v close friend of mine died (cancer) at the end of last year and I’m still so revolted by that Instagram post. I know grief affects people differently but I was genuinely in shock and in a deep fog during her funeral. I don’t even remember what I wore never mind treating myself to pearls ( my gorgeous friend would have loved if I had). But to Instagram it. No words.

That’s actually made me feel sick. I v close friend of mine died (cancer) at the end of last year and I’m still so revolted by that Instagram post. I know grief affects people differently but I was genuinely in shock and in a deep fog during her funeral. I don’t even remember what I wore never mind treating myself to pearls ( my gorgeous friend would have loved if I had). But to Instagram it. No words.
Yes you put it so well about grief. I hadn't seen that pearls thing or heard of it but seriously what the actual F? A close friend dies and your instinct is to treat yourself to Chanel pearls? And put it on Instagram? 'It's what Carey would've wanted'. I'm so horribly cynical now I know but could the pearls have been a wee gift from Chanel? - since she roped their PR guy into doing the tribute table? When my dad died I thought I was doing well to take my black coat to be dry cleaned for the funeral. Didn't bother to take a photo of that.
The whole Carey illness and aftermath with Sali has been very very odd.

Reactions: 4
Looking at that picture now after everything that has been said on this thread leaves me feeling DEEPLY uncomfortable.

Also, do we think she actually paid for those?
My thoughts exactly.... this was back before everything had to be declared

Reactions: 5
You know, I didn’t think much of the Chanel pearls thing (though the taxi pic was vomit-inducing) because I thought she and Carey were genuinely good mates. But after finding out about she muscled in on Carey once she found out that she was a somebody?! I am thoroughly appalled.

To my shame, I remembered thinking that Carey must have been an equally repellent person to be friends with someone like Sali, but now I just think she was incredibly classy and patient to have put up with her for so long.

This reminds me of another Scot from the forum/GTL - Vairi. Does anyone remember her? She used to have a part-time job at Whistles as a student. I heard (via the grapevine) that Sali tried to ingratiate herself into Vairi’s life, too, because Vairi had a 40% staff discount for Whistles, whilst Sali only had a press one of 10%.

I didn’t believe it st the time. I do now.

You know, I didn’t think much of the Chanel pearls thing (though the taxi pic was vomit-inducing) because I thought she and Carey were genuinely good mates. But after finding out about she muscled in on Carey once she found out that she was a somebody?! I am thoroughly appalled.

To my shame, I remembered thinking that Carey must have been an equally repellent person to be friends with someone like Sali, but now I just think she was incredibly classy and patient to have put up with her for so long.

This reminds me of another Scot from the forum/GTL - Vairi. Does anyone remember her? She used to have a part-time job at Whistles as a student. I heard (via the grapevine) that Sali tried to ingratiate herself into Vairi’s life, too, because Vairi had a 40% staff discount for Whistles, whilst Sali only had a press one of 10%.

I didn’t believe it st the time. I do now.
I remember Vairi, tbf I’m pretty sure she would have loved to have been a BFF with Sali.

Last edited:
Ohh - I’m here purely by accident because I’ve got sick to death of the hypocrisy of the likes of “ beauty influencers “ like Sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons- it’s taken me a while to cotton onto the deceit and the “ half truths” these two roughly sketch their careers out with but one of the ITB was with Mary Greenwell ( except it wasn’t in the bathroom at all ) who clearly hadn’t heard of the makeup artist Hughes claimed to have been assistant to and had no knowledge of Hughes ever having been an assistant make up artist ( at 14 ?) . Some of the things Hughes writes make no sense at all - she’s one of four children meaning she has a younger sibling but her mother still left her feckless father ( who worked abroad ?) with four small children - no woman leaves her children unless she’s ill - I wondered if Hughes has ever considered that her mother might have actually been ill rather than blaming her for everything. I also know my parents would have dragged me back from London kicking and screaming if I’d left home to be with a much older man and obviously in a sexual relationship. I’m older than Hughes , but that kind of behaviour wasn’t tolerated . As for Hirons - words fail me - I couldn’t take beauty advice off a woman who behaves so unprofessionally and has a face full of not very convincing fillers .

Ha, she's said she's booby hasn't she .... as a booby woman (think Miriam Margoyles) anything with a button in that region is a bit of a no, there's pull and gape no matter what.

She's gone very colourful i've noticed that, it's for 'the grid ' I reckon. Square on square of black dresses won't do much for the old engagement.
Some of the dresses she’s worn recently have been hideous but with the usual sycophants saying “ oh Sali, love your ( obviously hideous ) dress - always cinched with the same Gucci belt - and I don’t understand what she’s done to her hair but it looks thin and greasy in recent videos ? Oh God, I’m turning into her ....help .

Reactions: 1
Ohh - I’m here purely by accident because I’ve got sick to death of the hypocrisy of the likes of “ beauty influencers “ like Sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons- it’s taken me a while to cotton onto the deceit and the “ half truths” these two roughly sketch their careers out with but one of the ITB was with Mary Greenwell ( except it wasn’t in the bathroom at all ) who clearly hadn’t heard of the makeup artist Hughes claimed to have been assistant to and had no knowledge of Hughes ever having been an assistant make up artist ( at 14 ?) . Some of the things Hughes writes make no sense at all - she’s one of four children meaning she has a younger sibling but her mother still left her feckless father ( who worked abroad ?) with four small children - no woman leaves her children unless she’s ill - I wondered if Hughes has ever considered that her mother might have actually been ill rather than blaming her for everything. I also know my parents would have dragged me back from London kicking and screaming if I’d left home to be with a much older man and obviously in a sexual relationship. I’m older than Hughes , but that kind of behaviour wasn’t tolerated . As for Hirons - words fail me - I couldn’t take beauty advice off a woman who behaves so unprofessionally and has a face full of not very convincing fillers .
I’m a hater when it comes to Sali but I don’t think it’s fair to assume she’s lied about all aspects of her upbringing, nor to say that “no woman would abandon her children” (women do, for many reasons including mental health troubles, addiction, not wanting to be a mother, etc etc) and that they would have brought her back home kicking and screaming. Maybe that’s your experience but disfunctional or uncaring families exist and it’s entirely possible her sob story is real. I don’t doubt she exaggerated for effect like she does with everything but we have plenty of facts to criticise her with without wandering into her past, which we can’t really dissect as we have nothing to back up a claim that she lied.

Reactions: 12
Hey, you don’t get much more dysfunctional than my upbringing- my Dad was a psychotic schizophrenic with serious PTSD exacerbated by his job as a paramedic and my daughter has a serious BPD hence when it comes to mental health , I think I understand it better than many people do - but women didn’t abandon their kids to a dis functional lone father back in the mid 70’s - it was virtually unheard of , not saying it didn’t happen but you’d need to skip a decade really .
I had my first child in 1984 and I was the first woman in my company to return to work after having a baby ( no option as I earned more than my husband ) - that was considered utterly radical back in the day - which is odd when you consider as kids , we were allowed to go to our friends house and play out from 4 years old . At 12 , I was left in charge of my younger brother cause my mum went back to work because three kids on one wage wasn’t possible - even in the 60’s - 70’s .

Last edited:
She has said her Mum was a narcissist so I think it's likely she did walk out. I don't disbelieve that part of SH's tale.

That’s one of the only bits of her backstory I do believe! It’s all the stuff about how rough and poverty-stricken their lives were that’s obviously nonsense (her dad worked abroad as some kind of charity ambassador or something/ her mum, in Sali’s own words, would go to London on business and spend money on designer goods). What I find striking is how someone with the combination of being so obviously damaged (inevitable with such neglectful parents), and who is also chronically uneducated, can think that she should have the final word on incredibly complex matters. The pile-on over the DID piece, although I didn’t agree with what was said in it, was so ironic because it was a load of CRITICS criticising another critic for her criticism. Piss off.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that she doesn't interact with Kerry Hudson who writes about growing up in poverty - you'd think SH would be championing her but I've never seen her mention or interact with her.

Kerry Hudson's non fiction and fiction writing is brilliant.

I find it interesting that she doesn't interact with Kerry Hudson who writes about growing up in poverty - you'd think SH would be championing her but I've never seen her mention or interact with her.

Kerry Hudson's non fiction and fiction writing is brilliant.
Yes. I follow Kerry on Twitter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.