Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Kerry Hudson would presumably see through her tall tales in a heartbeat. It made me laugh when she and Caitlin Moran were in one of those Twitter conversations boasting about how poor their childhoods were, and Sali said that people criticising them “wouldn’t last a minute where I grew up”. I googled it, and one of the first things that came up was the place’s entry into a best kept village competition. Yeah, sounds hardcore.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
He died a while ago though, didn’t he? That ink mentions him as recently as 2017.

I've no idea about the truth around her childhood circumstances but she has that thing in common with Caitlin Moran - the desire to present it as incredibly tough and deprived. Most people I know now don't keep banging on about that. My OH grew up in West Belfast at the height of the Troubles and barely mentions it. I just think you get to an age where it becomes tiresome and overly sentimentalised (if that is a word).

Reactions: 7
From what I can recall, her parents were middle class academics. She said something in a piece about her now husband that she has a good deal in common with her in-laws because they’re grafters, whilst Daniel Maier has a great deal in common with her folks because they’re academically minded.

She was broke when she left home because she couldn’t legally work and had to do odd jobs like baby-sitting, until she got the job with Lynn Easton. Presumably she lied about her age. She talked about this in an interview with the Pixiwoo sisters.

I get her mother being a cow, but if her father was so great, why did he not stage an intervention???

And speaking as someone who is actually Jewish, don’t get me started on her faux-casual use of Yiddish (as though she’s now part of some cool in crowd - it’s so unbelievably crass).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
But one of the ITB was with Mary Greenwell (except it wasn’t in the bathroom at all ) who clearly hadn’t heard of the makeup artist Hughes claimed to have been assistant to and had no knowledge of Hughes ever having been an assistant make up artist(at 14?).
There was a two-parter re the Greenwell ITB, (which WAS in Mary’s en-suite) and Sali mentioned her background there and when going through Greenwell’s makeup kit in her sitting room. MG seems to have a bit of a short memory, bless her.

Reactions: 1
From what I can recall, her parents were middle class academics. She said something in a piece about her now husband that she has a good deal in common with her in-laws because they’re grafters, whilst Daniel Maier has a great deal in common with her folks because they’re academically minded.

She was broke when she left home because she couldn’t legally work and had to do odd jobs like baby-sitting, until she got the job with Lynn Easton. Presumably she lied about her age. She talked about this in an interview with the Pixiwoo sisters.

I get her mother being a cow, but if her father was so great, why did he not stage an intervention???

And speaking as someone who is actually Jewish, don’t get me started on her faux-casual use of Yiddish (as though she’s now part of some cool in crowd - it’s so unbelievably crass).
Do you have any examples of this? Sounds absolutely horrid but still I want to see 🤷‍♀️. Love to hate I guess.

I’m starting to be more annoyed by her fanpeople than anyone else - I don’t understand being so fawning.

She is currently posting on Twitter about how loud her sister in law is - I don’t understand if it’s a joke or actual public criticism... either way it’s.... weird. So passive aggressive.

Do you have any examples of this? Sounds absolutely horrid but still I want to see 🤷‍♀️. Love to hate I guess.

I’m starting to be more annoyed by her fanpeople than anyone else - I don’t understand being so fawning.

She is currently posting on Twitter about how loud her sister in law is - I don’t understand if it’s a joke or actual public criticism... either way it’s.... weird. So passive aggressive.

Examples of what? The Yiddish? No, but look out for it on social media - she’s always dropping words like mensch and chutzpah. These words are not part of British English lexicon. In America, sure. Use words like bubba, shmata, yenta, mensch, etc, and the average Joe will understand. Here, no, but because she’s married to a Jew she’s acting as though she is part of the “in-crowd”. We’re not bleeping props!! 🤮🤮🤮

I will see if I can find the article where she mentioned her parents’ background.

Reactions: 4
Examples of what? The Yiddish? No, but look out for it on social media - she’s always dropping words like mensch and chutzpah. These words are not part of British English lexicon. In America, sure. Use words like bubba, shmata, yenta, mensch, etc, and the average Joe will understand. Here, no, but because she’s married to a Jew she’s acting as though she is part of the “in-crowd”. We’re not bleeping props!! 🤮🤮🤮

I will see if I can find the article where she mentioned her parents’ background.
Ah I see. I’m not susrpised tbh. Tuned into it now, thanks!

Oh, one thing I do want to get off my chest re Sali:

she thinks it’s SO cool to permanently sport the bed-head look, to make it look like you have just been shagged (she referenced this in the Tilbury ITB). But in reality it just looks like she couldn’t summon the will power to pick up a damn hairbrush, mason pearson or otherwise. Sali, if you’re reading this, ffs run a damn comb thru your hair, will you???

So I’m guessing her uncle who ran clubs - as she mentions in that Dumbofeather interview - must have been in London (hence her going to charity shops with Leigh Bowery, who was solely London-based once he arrived in the UK) and got her the gig with Lynne Easton? Easton was part of that whole Blitz crew with Boy George etc. But Sali says she “managed to meet her in a bar”. Sounds like it was a case of who you know, rather than some fated encounter with random woman who was impressed with her chutzpah. So many loose ends...

Reactions: 2
Rachel Grundy (the wannabe actress in New York) and Katy Lindemann are two prime examples. Can’t stand either of them.
Haven't seen anything linking Katy and Sali for years I'm not sure it's still a thing but I could be wrong. She hasn't mentioned her on social media for ages that I've seen though I don't follow her religiously (Katy that is I don't follow Sali at all) I quite like Katy I think she's been doing some really good stuff about infertility and pregnancy loss. Always found RG irritating though!

I've no idea about the truth around her childhood circumstances but she has that thing in common with Caitlin Moran - the desire to present it as incredibly tough and deprived. Most people I know now don't keep banging on about that. My OH grew up in West Belfast at the height of the Troubles and barely mentions it. I just think you get to an age where it becomes tiresome and overly sentimentalised (if that is a word).
So many people do that these days. I have looked up where she's from and it seems similar to where I'm from in terms of deprivation ie small town in the middle of nowhere where state schools aren't great/no proper shops/poor public transport links/not much money going round but it's not exactly teeming with violent crime and stuff. Lots of people like to exaggerate this kind of thing for clout especially if they have are being vocal about politics, to seem more relatable or whatever when actually they'd seem more real if they just admitted what their life was like and what privileges they had!

Haven't seen anything linking Katy and Sali for years I'm not sure it's still a thing but I could be wrong. She hasn't mentioned her on social media for ages that I've seen though I don't follow her religiously (Katy that is I don't follow Sali at all) I quite like Katy I think she's been doing some really good stuff about infertility and pregnancy loss. Always found RG irritating though!

KL has done some great stuff re infertility, but she was also bit of a witch when it came to shutting down other people’s conversations because “ffs, this is a beauty forum”. Didn’t stop her from seeking advice on whether a clitoral piercing would get in the way of having an orgasm or masturbating though, did it?! And there was the whole “look at me, I went to oxford but can’t seem to get this Laura mercier loose powder open, or get my head unstuck from the sleeve of my jumper”. Yup - both of those happened on the FB group, the daft cow.

KL has done some great stuff re infertility, but she was also bit of a witch when it came to shutting down other people’s conversations because “ffs, this is a beauty forum”. Didn’t stop her from seeking advice on whether a clitoral piercing would get in the way of having an orgasm or masturbating though, did it?! And there was the whole “look at me, I went to oxford but can’t seem to get this Laura mercier loose powder open, or get my head unstuck from the sleeve of my jumper”. Yup - both of those happened on the FB group, the daft cow.
Oh yeah not denying that stuff happened just that she seems to have moved on from it while Sali.....has not.

Oh yeah not denying that stuff happened just that she seems to have moved on from it while Sali.....has not.
Let’s bleeping hope so. I would have thought it would be pretty hard to be around Sali when she’s such good mates with India Knight who slags off people who don’t have kids...

So I’m guessing her uncle who ran clubs - as she mentions in that Dumbofeather interview - must have been in London (hence her going to charity shops with Leigh Bowery, who was solely London-based once he arrived in the UK) and got her the gig with Lynne Easton? Easton was part of that whole Blitz crew with Boy George etc. But Sali says she “managed to meet her in a bar”. Sounds like it was a case of who you know, rather than some fated encounter with random woman who was impressed with her chutzpah. So many loose ends...
[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing and did some googling. So Sali was hanging out with Banarama as a teenager according to the dumbo feathers article (from the anecdote re Leigh Bowery when she was 12 this is before moving to London). Moves to London to live with the bloke out of the Stay video (who I think was previously Keren's boyfriend) whose flatmate is Julia nowbakescakes who was video coordinator for Banarama's record label and gets a job with Lynne who does Banarama's makeup and works on video shoots. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/feb/24/obituaries.readersobituaries

Attachments

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.