Sali Hughes #16 The sell-out who couldn't sell out, and that is a legal fact.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find CH and especially Sali have the reverse effect on my purchasing habits now. I absolutely bodyswerve what they are shilling (there is always an alternative).

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I don't get why she's saying over and over that the specific product is irrelevant, as long as you tick all the boxes in the routine. Surely she's shooting herself in the foot with those words? Also, retinol takes weeks and weeks of use to make a noticeable difference. Not sure how she's tested masses of them to cull down to a couple during lockdown. But again, it makes no difference per her own words. BRANDS DON'T MATTER, EVERYONE

Reactions: 11
Now I feel like a lazy cow for not sticking with it. My boredom threshold is so low and I hate being in front of a mirror with all that .... light 😖 Maybe if I figured out a way to do it while watching a movie?? (Oh, and when I go on my rants, bear in mind that I am nothing if not a hypocrite)
Not lazy! I use it in bed with a handheld mirror 😁

I don't get why she's saying over and over that the specific product is irrelevant, as long as you tick all the boxes in the routine. Surely she's shooting herself in the foot with those words? Also, retinol takes weeks and weeks of use to make a noticeable difference. Not sure how she's tested masses of them to cull down to a couple during lockdown. But again, it makes no difference per her own words. BRANDS DON'T MATTER, EVERYONE
This is what I don't understand either. Retinol isn't a quick fix

I honestly think her advice is harmful. Followers are going to end up with very sore and irritated skin if they're using acids and retinol, particularly prescription retinol, on the same day

Reactions: 5
She's blocked me on Twitter and Instagram, I don't even recall posting anything remotely derogatory.

I've had a look and all I said was it was a little sad trying to be cool at 45. Which it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I think her whole modus operandi falls apart when it comes to testing skincare 'actives'. As you say, how can she comment on the effectiveness of a retinol or vitamin C or anything that requires months of use to have an effect - especially as she appears to be 'testing' them simply by slotting them into her skincare routine alongside other actives (which may or may not also be having an effect - good or bad).

Even with other types of skincare and make-up I'm not sure how much value there is in the 'testing' of products by one person who has a certain skin type and a certain aesthetic. I used to find that the btl recommendations of Guardian readers were just as likely to work for me as SH's recommendations.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Do you know who would be a really great replacement for Sali on the Guardian column? Arly! She would definitely help freshen things up with her perspective!

I think we should ask for her. Sali’s routine is old hat.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
She's blocked me on Twitter and Instagram, I don't even recall posting anything remotely derogatory.

I've had a look and all I said was it was a little sad trying to be cool at 45. Which it is.
As someone said on another thread recently, it seems that if you're not a fan you're a troll.

Reactions: 5

Lol Is she *still* at that game? Tattle must be like a pebble in her shoe.

Reactions: 4
It’s really hard to shrug off all the conditioning. I haven’t really worn any makeup for months, whereas previously I always wore it for work. A couple of weeks ago I had some all-day video calls, so I put some makeup on for those. I’ve never worn a lot of makeup, and I thought what I did wear was quite subtle, but I couldn’t get over how strange I looked with it on after all that time. Like I was in costume or something. And I applied less than I might have before.
Oh my god! Me too .... I love make up, but have never caked it on at all... now that we’re slowly easing back into society I’ve started wearing a bit more and I just look weird.

Reactions: 2
Do you know who would be a really great replacement for Sali on the Guardian column? Arly! She would definitely help freshen things up with her perspective!

I think we should ask for her. Sali’s routine is old hat.
Yes!!!

unfortunately, I believe the agreed process here for bringing a new beauty columnist on board at The Guardian is to publicly humiliate the current incumbent and pile on her til she retreats (see previous detail re SH/LL)

I can’t see Arly doing this...

• Haha
Reactions: 6
@rosemarina @MakkaPakka I would totally recommend it but like with any gadget you have to use it consistently.
Agh I really want one. Do you have the full size or mini? I absolutely can't afford the full size but wonder if the mini is even worth it.

I find CH and especially Sali have the reverse effect on my purchasing habits now. I absolutely bodyswerve what they are shilling (there is always an alternative).
I agree to an extent. I won't lie, she's recommended GREAT stuff in the past, things I love and repurchase to this day. But her instagram over the last couple of years (and reading this forum) has put me off: she such a blatent shiller now; she works with so many brands and is so disingenuous about doing so; she's diversified her recommendations to the point where one can't even keep track; and she's contradicted herself/done U-turns so many times that I don't have an ounce of trust left. Years ago she would recommend the same products over and over, so I felt that was genuine - as she must have been sent one of everything on the market and approached by lot of brands, but stuck to her guns more about what the best products were, and they've often worked for me so I still trust her older recommendations. Now it's like a lottery what products she picks in any given post/column. Except if a lottery was fixed in favour of people who bribed the person running it.

Reactions: 7
Agh I really want one. Do you have the full size or mini? I absolutely can't afford the full size but wonder if the mini is even worth it.
I have the Trinity, I wanted to be able to use the attachments. Eventually I thought the two attachments and I use them all but I've known people to have success with just the mini on it's own

Reactions: 1
Who needs a mascara wardrobe, for instance? It wouldn't be uncommon for people to have 8 different cleansers in the forum days. I wonder do people still do that
Yeah there was some kind of cult, wasn't there. Not blaming anyone, I feel stupid for falling for some of it (I mean, I really didn't need a Guerlain meteorites limited edition...).
I think I have 3 mascaras but they're all cheap ones - I honestly don't think expensive ones are any better.
I just checked and including eye makeup remover etc, I have 11 (eleven) cleansers :oops: They're all different I promise! I have significantly more of them than anything else. I would love to say it's a high-low mix but the most expensive is Clinique TTDO balm, there's nothing especially bougie in there.

I think the key is what you will use: to me a "mascara wardrobe" sounds like a recipe for conjunctivitis and throwing your money in the bin, considering how quickly mascara dries out... but different strokes for different folks, I guess? If you wear makeup every day and like changing up your look, maybe it's worth it? 11 cleansers is stupid I know but it's a product I will use every day, and they mostly don't go off so last AGES. And apart from having 2 oils, they really are all different.

I do regret accumulating so many lipsticks, but was very easily influenced back in the forum days and less level-headed when it came to what I would actually make use of and enjoy for a number of months/years vs. immediate gratification of having something new and shiny. Thank god I didn't have the budget to splurge on on something from CT or Chanel more than once a year or so, otherwise I probably would have :rolleyes:

I have the Trinity, I wanted to be able to use the attachments. Eventually I thought the two attachments and I use them all but I've known people to have success with just the mini on it's own
Thank you - I'm more interested in the jaw attachment than anything so the Trinity would be silly!

Reactions: 3
I just checked and including eye makeup remover etc, I have 11 (eleven) cleansers :oops: They're all different I promise! I have significantly more of them than anything else. I would love to say it's a high-low mix but the most expensive is Clinique TTDO balm, there's nothing especially bougie in there.

I think the key is what you will use: to me a "mascara wardrobe" sounds like a recipe for conjunctivitis and throwing your money in the bin, considering how quickly mascara dries out... but different strokes for different folks, I guess? If you wear makeup every day and like changing up your look, maybe it's worth it? 11 cleansers is stupid I know but it's a product I will use every day, and they mostly don't go off so last AGES. And apart from having 2 oils, they really are all different.

I do regret accumulating so many lipsticks, but was very easily influenced back in the forum days and less level-headed when it came to what I would actually make use of and enjoy for a number of months/years vs. immediate gratification of having something new and shiny. Thank god I didn't have the budget to splurge on on something from CT or Chanel more than once a year or so, otherwise I probably would have :rolleyes:

Thank you - I'm more interested in the jaw attachment than anything so the Trinity would be silly!
Yeah in that case the mini will be totally fine! I absolutely love my Nuface, I have several gadgets and that's the one I'd buy again in an instant

And no judgement on the cleansers! At least you use them all. I'm embarrassed to say the amount of lipsticks I own and I only wear the same handful over and over. Had a tonne of eyeshadow palettes too but I sold most of those

Reactions: 3
Yeah in that case the mini will be totally fine! I absolutely love my Nuface, I have several gadgets and that's the one I'd buy again in an instant

And no judgement on the cleansers! At least you use them all. I'm embarrassed to say the amount of lipsticks I own and I only wear the same handful over and over. Had a tonne of eyeshadow palettes too but I sold most of those
Oh God, I have so many lipsticks from back in the day on the forum too! It was such “a thing” then wasn’t it, showing off all the things you’d just bought, showing off your collection. So many just don’t suit me, but I can’t bear to get rid of them, some were so expensive

Reactions: 6
Oh God, I have so many lipsticks from back in the day on the forum too! It was such “a thing” then wasn’t it, showing off all the things you’d just bought, showing off your collection. So many just don’t suit me, but I can’t bear to get rid of them, some were so expensive
I nearly weep when I think of how much I've spent on lipsticks and how normalised excessive spending was. I'm all for treating myself but looking back, this wasn't treating myself, this was just excessive consumerism for the sake of it. Makes me feel a bit ill thinking of it

Reactions: 8
I've just replaced buying lipsticks with buying scented candles. Capitalism owns my soul.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Ok, I'm also feeling very influenced to buy the nuface mini. All these Zoom calls have drawn attention to my sagging jawline. It'll help with jowls right?!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.