Sali Hughes #16 The sell-out who couldn't sell out, and that is a legal fact.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was going to post about Jessica DeFino but got distracted by the Bella Freud themed property. Anyway. Whether one agrees or disagrees with Jessica Defino‘s views, her article offers an alternative perspective, asks some questions and isn’t based on press releases. I enjoyed reading it for that alone. Thanks for sharing it @melfish

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have a grim fascination with these Twitter "covens" and their dynamics. It's so performative - Caitlin was bessie mates with "Hughes" when she was on the up, but I wonder if she's backing away now "Hughes" has had her meltdown and is becoming increasingly irrelevant? Or is there a reason that friendships of hers come to an end a la Hemmo?

*twitches curtains*
Does anyone know what actually happened with Hemmo? I used to follow her back in the day when her and Sarah something (a comedian?) seemed to be SH's closest friends. Loved her running book.

Reactions: 2
Re Jessica Delfino - make up and skincare are subjective. I feel more put together when I wear make up and more professional when working as I am very client facing in my role. I also like doing my skincare routine as I like how my skin feels afterwards. I don't want to look like a wrinkly old scrote when I get older. I find the process relaxing and I am doing it for myself during lockdown as the cat sure as hell doesn't appreciate the effort!!

Re the Bella Freud apartment, it's not my style at all. I hate the decor and that she has random items with that blinking phrase on it all over the shop. The apartment doesn't seem to 'flow' to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Ooh the Bella Freud apartment is a good spot! Doesn't the Ginsberg stuff cheapen it? I love the old TV centre - so iconic - and wasn't aware it had been turned into flats. Apparently that Hoxton house Sali loved belonged to Derren Brown.

There does appear to have been a cooling off between Sali and Caitlin. Obviously Twitter is not all of their lives but they once seemed to be a lot more chummy on there - which is all we have to judge it by.
Nobody knows what happened with Hemmo - they both wrote gushing pieces about their great friendship and how they bonded on twitter. On Get the Look Sali talked about her a lot and I *think* Hemmo was on it at one point. Then radio silence. Sali then wrote a Pool 'piece' talking about a good friend who had ghosted her, we assume it was Hemmo, and how upset she was about it. Then recently Hemmo tweeted about her disdain for people who had 'carefully curated beauty boxes' in pandemic time - coincidence? Hemmo lives in Brighton too.

That's a lovely apartment, and there's a Franco Manca right downstairs. I'd have to be winched out after a couple of months.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I haven't read the thread properly fully yet (damn work) but Caitlin and Sali haven't fallen out- a few days ago someone was saying how Sali always gets the best presents for people and Caitlin chimed in too

I don't understand - 'Cougar Beauty' is horrifying and had to have a 'piece' written about it, whereas 'Ginsberg is God' is just a name?
Not defending either obviously - but I know which one I find the most revolting 🕯
Exacrly, her set of values are just so skewed

Reactions: 1
That's a lovely apartment, and there's a Franco Manca right downstairs. I'd have to be winched out after a couple of months.
Had to google Franco Manca, I thought it might be a modern artist whose work you'd spotted in the apartment and wanted to admire indefinitely - I felt really uneducated and shallow, but somehow the winch bit didn't make sense. :ROFLMAO:
The possibility of great pizza surely improves the place.

• Haha
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed everybody is tuned in to my obsession with food :D.
Oh I'm completely obsessessed with food, especially Italian, but there are no Franco's where I live. Sometimes I don't get the references on here and read completely different meanings into the posts. :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
duck, I miss Franco Manca. I would sacrifice a finger for one of their anchovy & caper pizzas and some chilli oil this weekend.

I've wanted to mention Jessica DeFino for a while. I'm glad there's a narrative like hers out there to counter the Trinny's, Caroline's and Sali's, as well as overdoing it on the skin with huge multi-step skin routines, but something about her rubs me up the wrong way. She has an axe to grind with dermatologists because her treatments didn't work for her, but wants to extrapolate natural=superior out to a universal audience. For me, you can prize my retinoids out of my cold, dead, smooth, acne-free, lifeless hands ;)

Some of the stuff she writes about is total pseudoscience but likes to link to outdated, poorly designed papers because science (example, seed cycling with a paper from 1993). Maybe I'm just too cynical and long in the tooth, but I don't need another woman telling me what my feminism is about.

^^^ Just realised half of what I wrote doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I think I'm trying to untangle what makes me :rolleyes: about her. That'll learn me to write without caffeine on board
Sorry to go a bit OT but what retinoids would you recommend? I always research and can never decide which to go for..

I haven't read the thread properly fully yet (damn work) but Caitlin and Sali haven't fallen out- a few days ago someone was saying how Sali always gets the best presents for people and Caitlin chimed in too
hate when work gets in the way 😂. I don’t think it’s a complete fall out but a definite cooling. I saw that gifts exchange and then Sali making tentative tweets aimed at CM, but pretty sure there has been a bit of distancing.

I think Influencers become narcissists and more down to earth people would find it tiring to be around. Imagine posting pictures from your bedroom of your perfectly curated life and then have 100s of people tell you how amazing you are , how beautiful and knowing deep down it's a façade and you are in some way preying on women's insecurities to influence them to buy more stuff. I know not all Influencers and not all posts etc. But Instagram without a doubt partly works on this process. Endless bloody selfies and talking into my phone, looking at myself. It's the very definition of narcissism. But they are so highly financially rewarded for this activity and so praised that their ego and love of money could never give it up.. Pixiwoo are multi-millionaires for example whilst people in the NHS are paid an absolute fraction. Yet they equate all the likes and all the money with self worth. I'm in my 40s and this kind of behaviour seems weird to me. I imagine they would say 'oh you're just jealous' but i would not swap my life for that life in a million years. Here's a quote from a Kate Tempest from the song 'Europe is Lost.'

It's the BoredOfItAll generation
The product of product placement and manipulation
Shoot 'em up, brutal, duty of care
Come on, new shoes, beautiful hair, bullshit!
Saccharine ballads and selfies, and selfies, and selfies
And here’s me outside the palace of ME!
Construct a self and psychosis

Meanwhile the people were dead in their droves
And, no, nobody noticed; well, some of them noticed
You could tell by the emoji they posted

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Exacrly, her set of values are just so skewed
I have often thought that her publicly expressed values are based on what happens to be convenient for her personally.

That seems to be the case with the candle but even with smaller things like doing your make-up on trains. Being a busy person who a) wears a lot of make-up and b) takes a train to get to appointments, it's clearly convenient for her to use the journey to put on her make-up. Hence several articles/mentions about how that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do. If it wasn't personally convenient, I think she would be just as likely to write the opposite - that it's a public space not your bathroom, that it's bad manners, makes people feel uncomfortable etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Also agree that Hemmo seems like a normal and down to earth person, sweet and smart and thoughtful.

Reactions: 4
It’s all a big Sali Hughes, Lauren Laverne, Caitlin Moran, India Knight & Katie Puckrik ‘feminist wimmin in media who like lipstick’ circle jerk. Then there is the beauty blogger/vlogger brigade who Sali probably thinks of as slightly less cred, as they weren’t teenage runaways who snorted coke with second rate indie bands.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
The peedough bed spread in the old BBC building is quite apt I suppose. Maybe it's where Savile's old dressing room was.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Sorry to go a bit OT but what retinoids would you recommend? I always research and can never decide which to go for..
Wasnt asked at me but Dermatica have a good promo atm, just pay £2.50 for postage. They start most people off at 0.25% then raise it to 0.5% or lower it to 0.1% depending how it suits you, but the tube size is deliberately a months worth to keep you subscribed.

I'm trying to get rid of acne scars so I use the dermatica retinol with 4% hydroquinone on my face, and 0.5% retrides from an online spanish pharmacy for chest and upper back (25€ so reasonableish compared to medic8 etc but cheaper if you can buy in person from continental pharmacies.)

I've never had an extreme reaction to retinol so may not be best judge, maybe because I worked up my skins tolerance to it or because id already done roaccutane. I found ordinary and la roche posay tube ones fine, latter seemed overpriced to me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Wasnt asked at me but Dermatica have a good promo atm, just pay £2.50 for postage. They start most people off at 0.25% then raise it to 0.5% or lower it to 0.1% depending how it suits you, but the tube size is deliberately a months worth to keep you subscribed.

I'm trying to get rid of acne scars so I use the dermatica retinol with 4% hydroquinone on my face, and 0.5% retrides from an online spanish pharmacy for chest and upper back (25€ so reasonableish compared to medic8 etc but cheaper if you can buy in person from continental pharmacies.)

I've never had an extreme reaction to retinol so may not be best judge, maybe because I worked up my skins tolerance to it or because id already done roaccutane. I found ordinary and la roche posay tube ones fine, latter seemed overpriced to me.
I too have recently gone for the Dermatica option. After the first postage-only month, the monthly cost is £19.99 plus £2.99 postage. Not cheap, but I think it compares reasonably with the cost of what I would think are the most effective non-prescription retinol products (by companies such as Medik8 and Neostrata). My understanding is that you can cancel the Dermatica subscription at any time.

I too have never had a bad reaction to Tretinoin but like you I worked up slowly over a number of years.

Btw, the lowest strength Tretinoin is 0.025% (not 0.25%). Then 0.05%, with 0.1% being the strongest.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.