Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Aude totally agree with you, she doesn’t but my point is (to be fully transparent and tell the whole story) she absolutely should declare the anti-ageing interventions. As a viewer/ consumer all you see is this ageless face and all these products being mentioned, endorsed and recommended. (I won’t even go to the complete flouting of ASA rules on this as that’s another can of worms). I don’t think we separate structure vs. surface - you see the whole face, the whole result. Therefore you make the link between that look/ face/ageless skin and THIS new product. And then this product and then this product. Holy Grail it is!

Ageing is now optional for those who have the money to spend or the free treatments and products given to them because they have a platform of persuasion and influence. There will be (there are ) women who don’t visibly age and those who do. It’s going to get more extreme in the future and more apparent.

Reactions: 7
This is the article I referred to above. It was @Jelly Bean who pointed out the omission in the anti ageing section. I thought perhaps that the headings weren't hers but she talks about hair colour so itooks more like they were topics put to her.

Reactions: 3
@Aude totally agree with you, she doesn’t but my point is (to be fully transparent and tell the whole story) she absolutely should declare the anti-ageing interventions. As a viewer/ consumer all you see is this ageless face and all these products being mentioned, endorsed and recommended. (I won’t even go to the complete flouting of ASA rules on this as that’s another can of worms). I don’t think we separate structure vs. surface - you see the whole face, the whole result. Therefore you make the link between that look/ face/ageless skin and THIS new product. And then this product and then this product. Holy Grail it is!

Ageing is now optional for those who have the money to spend or the free treatments and products given to them because they have a platform of persuasion and influence. There will be (there are ) women who don’t visibly age and those who do. It’s going to get more extreme in the future and more apparent.
Totally agree with you.
I personally do not see why 'tweakments' and 'smidges' are not declared. Nobody is remotely judgemental - but things need to be on a level playing field. Just say 'this is how this product looks on my face - to put it into context I have had Botox within the month'. Not difficult.

Reactions: 6

This is EXACTLY my point - I haven’t seen this article before - as a consumer l read this and l am supposed to conclude that in order to achieve this ageless skin that Sali has all l would need it so is buy those products. NOT TRUE. The most important elements are not mentioned ... but don’t worry just buy these Dennis Gross pads etc etc. keep chasing the miracle product

• Angry
Reactions: 9
The other thing is that when people like Sali and Caroline Hirons are cornered they will virtually say - ' well of COURSE we have had treatments DUH' and imply you are so naive not to know and assume this. But that is so different from being up front in the first place isn't it?

Reactions: 19
So true and then when you do question and notice the omission from telling the full story - ‘You Troll!’

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not so much recently but she did in early columns claim that both groomed brows and false eyelashes are as rejuvenating as Botox and that the key to a youthful appearance is white teeth.
Now she claims not to be concerned about ageing and wrinkles and to want glow from her skincare, neglevtong to mention she's got the anti ageing bit covered by regular Botox. In the Vogue piece about her wedding she mentioned getting her usual hair extensions but not anything about any injectibles (though gave a shout out to her Botox practitioner). There was another article she did recently of her beauty address book where under the heading of anti-ageing she went on about Vitamin C - no mention of any other help in that department.
Much longer ago there was the debacle of the photo shopped image to accompany a column which apparently had been submitted and published by mistake but which SH happily shared on Instagram the day the column was published - no mention that a misleading photo had been used.
This is the column - there are loads of comments about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...ali-hughes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Samsung_Notes
just had a good read of the comments on that Graun post. Saddest part was Alkistis fighting Sali’s corner so valiantly and naively when Sali detested her, or more particularly her knowledge about products and ingredients. I really hope Alkistis is someone on here who has woken up to the lies and lack of integrity oozing from Sali’s airbrushed, ringlighted pores.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
SH started her column for the Guardian 2011 or 12 (before that she was a "proper journalist" 🤣) and positioned herself as no bullshit, honest guide to all things makeup and skincare.
Pretty Honest was marketed as an insider's guide to beauty tips and secrets and she has often been described as like a knowledgable best friend or big sister. She fostered the semblance of intimacy by shared details of her life, family and social circle on Instagram and in GTL (possibly on the SHB forum too, Idk).
At some point she started to have Botox and made a conscious decision not to disclose that. There was a SHB piece on her dreadful bad bob cut, there have been pictures on her grid and/or stories of subsequent haircuts, blowdries, eyelash extensions , nail treatments, facials, tattoos and microblading.
Later when asked about Botox she claims to have always been upfront about it, that she wrote several articles about it on a website that sadly no longer exists.
Then she hosts a podcast asking why there is such a stigma aboit Botox and other "tweakments".
My head may fall off.
Edited - typos.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
just had a good read of the comments on that Graun post. Saddest part was Alkistis fighting Sali’s corner so valiantly and naively when Sali detested her, or more particularly her knowledge about products and ingredients. I really hope Alkistis is someone on here who has woken up to the lies and lack of integrity oozing from Sali’s airbrushed, ringlighted pores.
You beat me to it, I was just thinking that. (Not that Sali detested her, although she may, but they did have a big falling-out.)

Reactions: 2
Caroline Hirons did do something on Instagram last time she had Botox - not sure if it was on her stories but it was quite detailed.

@Aude totally agree with you, she doesn’t but my point is (to be fully transparent and tell the whole story) she absolutely should declare the anti-ageing interventions.
Of course. We've talked about this a lot here so I take that as read (not that it's not worth talking about again...).

The article I think of when I recall SH writing about anti-ageing is this one - with that extraordinarily tasteless illustration of her heavily made-up and photoshopped, wrapped in bandages. Even she must look back at this with shame.

Last edited:
Missed all this. Never heard of Alkistis
she was a very active member of Sali’s FB group and forum. Quite honestly can’t remember what the fallout was about, possibly SPF. She was an ingredients geek, researched a lot, retained a lot, spoke her mind a lot. Not someone I knew on any level really, but I always found her friendly and informative. The polar opposite of Sali I guess.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Not so much recently but she did in early columns claim that both groomed brows and false eyelashes are as rejuvenating as Botox and that the key to a youthful appearance is white teeth.
Now she claims not to be concerned about ageing and wrinkles and to want glow from her skincare, neglevtong to mention she's got the anti ageing bit covered by regular Botox. In the Vogue piece about her wedding she mentioned getting her usual hair extensions but not anything about any injectibles (though gave a shout out to her Botox practitioner). There was another article she did recently of her beauty address book where under the heading of anti-ageing she went on about Vitamin C - no mention of any other help in that department.
Much longer ago there was the debacle of the photo shopped image to accompany a column which apparently had been submitted and published by mistake but which SH happily shared on Instagram the day the column was published - no mention that a misleading photo had been used.
This is the column - there are loads of comments about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...ali-hughes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Samsung_Notes
I miss those btl comments! So great to have a mixture of views - positive, negative, questionning, informative, funny, off-topic, completely batty...

It's so polarised now. Only thing you can say on IG is how amazing/beautiful/clever/good you are. Have to come here to say anything remoting challenging.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think she said that the brand she took that was the usual dose but not sure why she didn't make that clear in the article.

That "8 capsules of cod liver oil a day" recommendation caused some alarm among the commenters! Apparently there's a danger of overdosing on vitamin A. I don't know if she ever engaged with that one.
I don't know if she did but the debate is still there in the comments.

Reading through the btl comments I think I must have been feeling a bit nostalgic in my post a moment ago. There were an awful lot of people just being argumentative. I do regret though the lack of diversity of view now.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.