Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reading through the btl comments I think I must have been feeling a bit nostalgic in my post a moment ago. There were an awful lot of people just being argumentative. I do regret though the lack of diversity of view now.
What always cracked me up in the comments was that week after week, after SH had extolled the virtues of whatever £100+ product with the very latest ingredient technology, there would always be someone asking for a column on making facemasks with oatmeal or avocado and the like, and stalwartly arguing that this was beauty too. I used to think bless them, do people genuinely think this column is about beauty rather than sales?!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
she was a very active member of Sali’s FB group and forum. Quite honestly can’t remember what the fallout was about, possibly SPF. She was an ingredients geek, researched a lot, retained a lot, spoke her mind a lot. Not someone I knew on any level really, but I always found her friendly and informative. The polar opposite of Sali I guess.
They fell out over sunscreen, I think, but it seemed like it was the last straw. Alkistis is very knowledgeable about sunscreens, and she’s also quite dogmatic about them. She was very helpful, but she could also be really quite unfriendly to people who didn’t know as much, or who were on the periphery of that board (as I was).

I might be wrong, but I think it was Sali endorsing a Sarah Chapman (?) sunscreen that finally tore it, but things hadn’t been great for a while, and lots of people left.

Reactions: 3
What always cracked me up in the comments was that week after week, after SH had extolled the virtues of whatever £100+ product with the very latest ingredient technology, there would always be someone asking for a column on making facemasks with oatmeal or avocado and the like, and stalwartly arguing that this was beauty too. I used to think bless them, do people genuinely think this column is about beauty rather than sales?!
I think the reason she didn't say she'd had Botox until it was too obvious to be denied (despite, I think, getting it for around seven years) is that she would have alienated a large proportion of her Guardian readership. There was not just the oatmeal and avocado gang but she got grief btl if she ever recommended anything costing more than around £25.

Reactions: 4
They fell out over sunscreen, I think, but it seemed like it was the last straw. Alkistis is very knowledgeable about sunscreens, and she’s also quite dogmatic about them. She was very helpful, but she could also be really quite unfriendly to people who didn’t know as much, or who were on the periphery of that board (as I was).

I might be wrong, but I think it was Sali endorsing a Sarah Chapman (?) sunscreen that finally tore it, but things hadn’t been great for a while, and lots of people left.
Yeah, I met her in real life a couple of times and she wasn’t very friendly to be honest. And she was on that forum so much, so many posts, I found it a bit weird. I think I’d left before it all kicked off though, I don’t remember properly.

Reactions: 2
This isn't the best example but it's the only one I can find atm. About 5 mins SH is asked what her must have skincare product/ingredients are. Answer acids and vitamin C. She says she's a vitamon C freak because "brightness is more important to me than anti wrinkle". She's not lying or denying having Botox but she's not being straight or transparent about it either. Plus extra points for being so cool about ageing - a real role model for us all to aspire to! Making those of us who may be our changing/ageing appearance feel inferior for look conoaratively like tit and for being trivial to be concerned about it.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I'll bet Sali would be more concerned about lines and wrinkles and backburner the glow if Botox were not an easy option for her.

Reactions: 8
Apologies for gobbledegook typos- meant to say making us concerned/adjusting to our changed appearances feel doubly tit - for caring and for looking crap in comparison.

Reactions: 5
It wasn't accidental when she did it was it? (Or have not got the irony).

Reactions: 1
Oh god the heady days of her liking the pics of someone’s children as some sort of warning.
Sal must be a nightmare at Parents evening. Her kids will have done the syllabus before it’s been announced.
She knows she’s peaked and is scrambling. There are too many people on Instagram and other socials who know their tit. She’s out of her depth with scientist and derms talking about ingredients when she gets the info from a press release. She really is going to have to up her game to stay relevant. She’s so in her white middle class Brighton bubble she’s alienating everyone else.
Much like Jack Monroe she’s missed the opportunity lockdown could of provided. I’m loving Jane over at BBB going through the archive of what she has. There’s some real treats in there that bring so many memories. Sali could of done videos talking through the items in Pretty Iconic and adding new ones to the mix. Some behind the scenes gossip about her brief stint as a makeup artist. Virtual in the bathroom with.
She’s stuck with the cold popular girl schtick and it’s tiresome. I think she feels like she doesn’t owe us any transparency with what she does re tweakments as it’s IRL. Unfortunately with social and influencing you can’t have one foot out.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
No, I believe she was quietly making her presence felt - I've found you, I see you. It was supposed to be menacing I think.

Reactions: 10
No, I believe she was quietly making her presence felt - I've found you, I see you. It was supposed to be menacing I think.
Yes, the ‘mortifying’ comment is relating to the feeling of the recipient on seeing the like, have I got that right?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Either way , she ( or Lauren) stalked accounts of those people from SHB ,GTL or IG believing they were contributing to these threads.

[QUOTE="lipsticktaser, post: 1377484, member: 240
Much like Jack Monroe she’s missed the opportunity lockdown could of provided. I’m loving Jane over at BBB going through the archive of what she has. There’s some real treats in there that bring so many memories. Sali could of done videos talking through the items in Pretty Iconic and adding new ones to the mix. Some behind the scenes gossip about her brief stint as a makeup artist. Virtual in the bathroom with.
She’s stuck with the cold popular girl schtick and it’s tiresome. I think she feels like she doesn’t owe us any transparency with what she does re tweakments as it’s IRL. Unfortunately with social and influencing you can’t have one foot out.
[/QUOTE]
Good point. A little imagination and she could've come up with some good videos eg looking at products she recommended years ago to see if she still uses them (the Guardian columns posted here recently were interesting in that respect), an ITB of her own bathroom. Instead of just selling more stuff.

@rosemarina @Jade Mitzi I totally missed this, I used to read SHB a lot and found her posts really informative. What did Sali say to her, did they fall out publicly? Did people leave because there was a division?

I’d really like a big influencer or guru to do something on discontinued products (or reformulated products) they’d like to be brought back - it’d start a v interesting discussion amongst followers & may even encourage the brands to reconsider. I’m decluttering like mad & have found some old faves I can’t replace any more and it is v frustrating!

@rosemarina @Jade Mitzi I totally missed this, I used to read SHB a lot and found her posts really informative. What did Sali say to her, did they fall out publicly? Did people leave because there was a division?
There's discussion of this in earlier threads. I can't remember the details but I think @GTL Old-Timer posted some stuff about it. I think some left the forum en masse and decamped to WhatsApp but may have got that wrong.
Eta - if you do a search there's discussion of this in thread #7. Sounds like it might have been the moderators arguing with her rather than SH.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.