Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It would make my head feel like it was full of wasps to think a corner of the internet was analysing and criticising my every move all the time - her gripe is certainly about here, it has got under skin, she does think it’s all wrong, we are all wrong and jealous and insane. But criticism of her is allowed and this site ticks along perfectly legally. Plus as is often referred to, many contributers to the SH Watchdog Checks and Balances Department were fans of hers.

Reactions: 4
Add to that her book was due to be published in April and has been put back twice I think now to September 2001. She said on the Fi Glover/ Jane Garvey podcast she was hoping to get stuck into writing it during lockdown but that hasn't happened. Hasn't said anywhere what it is, I don't think, apart from to say it's not beauty related.
Looks like a general lifestyle book, going by the Amazon categories - although they are not always accurate. And £26 seems ambitiously priced.

The pressure of a twice-delayed publishing date must be a lot for a writer... the advance must feel like an albatross. And tricky to blame a delay on coronavirus (not saying she has) when similar-ish writers are either pressing ahead or with brief delays.

Attachments

Hush do big influencer discounts to A Model Recommends too. I was v bored and gave a video of hers a go, at the start of it

“Hello Spring 2020! Oh just in case you are bored already and you want to click off, just do me a favour and click the ‘like’ before you do that, that would be great. Everyone else carry on watching”. I kid you not

Only focussed on the 'likes'. She’s lucky she was born pretty, she’s completely charmless and spends a lot of time saying “hmmm I’m not quite sure what I think about it” in relation to products. Surely a review needs opinions...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Agree with this. Which is fine that she didn't know, but her behaviour since finding out is appalling. She obviously thought she couldn't respond outraged at the candle, as it's in her box, and she clearly wasn't willing to take it out. So out came the "it's just a name" defence. Really sickening.

Her comments about tattle are really starting to tire. I'm not unwell, or unhinged or unhappy or whatever it is shes calling us now. Everything I have said on here is the sort of thing that wouldn't be out of place in my work appraisal. And anything about her personal life is because she's put it on the internet to make money - though to be fair I don't think I've ever even mentioned her personal life. She just can't handle any criticism. And I'm not saying she can't be upset about being discussed, but it's the life she has chosen by becoming a journalist that the public are entitled to have an opinion. If she wants to make money out of her readers then she should be prepared for them to want to dissect how she is doing so if they desire.

There are a few more comments about the candle on British Beauty Blogger: https://britishbeautyblogger.com/skincare/cult-beauty-x-sali-hughes-beauty-box/

My phone is so low on storage I can't do screenshots - sorry!
As usual BBB deals with matters in a calm and measured way.

Reactions: 4
Indeed, black on black elasticated trouser/sandal situation with bright toe nails/ bare ankles= not a goth.

The sandals hurt my eyes, so much material!
Again, just another attempt to appear cool and edgy. "I don't like the sun like everyone else, I much prefer autumn and I wear top to toe black like no one else on the planet has ever done"

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Again, just another attempt to appear cool and edgy. "I don't like the sun like everyone else, I much prefer autumn and I wear top to toe black like no one else on the planet has ever done"
She's sO QuIrKy you guys!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Hello,
I find her content unedifying. Whenever I watch/read her content on Instagram it left me with either a shopping list of some product I need to buy or thinking I must do more to stay looking young. The fact is in 5 years she will be 50 and yet will still look the same no doubt. Also the products she mentions are constantly shifting - this is the foundation you #cantlivewithout, no not that one this Estee Lauder one and then no not that one, this iT Cosmetics one. It's endless and ongoing but the real kicker is you will never actually achieve that look anyway despite the money you throw at the endless stream of shifting products because that which is doing the REAL heavy lifting to achieve the ageless look is not really discussed - the Botox at the Mayfair Clinic and the various other injectable/laser/IPL treatments. Without these structural interventions which would probably cost upwards of £5k ++ a year minimum to maintain, not to mentioned the hair extensions and the lip/face filler, you can and will never be able to keep up or achieve the same results. Never. You will age, you are ageing but keep throwing money at this and that product to look like me. That is the core of what I find irritating about her content. The lack of full transparency.

Yet she dismisses opinions like mine as trolling and exaggerates the content in this forum. The word that springs to mind is Cognitive Dissonance. Until she shifts from that position and addresses the fact she is an Influencer and major part of that is enabling people to spend money which they may or may not have to dispose of, she will remain entrenched.

This aspect of the industry boils down to FEAR and MONEY- the marketing machine (of which she is a cog) generates money, a lot of it. You the reader FEAR fine lines and wrinkles and from this fear the industry and people like Sali Hughes make money. There is much more to beauty and makeup of course (much of which is creative, empowering etc.,) but I am specifically talking about anti-aging products and her lack of full disclosure on this front. I thought I would leave a list of online content I find edifying -

The High Low Show
How to Fail with Elizabeth Day
Grounded with Louis Theroux
The Adam Buxton Show
Desert Island Discs

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Hello,
I find her content unedifying. Whenever I watch/read her content on Instagram it left me with either a shopping list of some product I need to buy or thinking I must do more to stay looking young. The fact is in 5 years she will be 50 and yet will still look the same no doubt. Also the products she mentions are constantly shifting - this is the foundation you #cantlivewithout, no not that one this Estee Lauder one and then no not that one, this iT Cosmetics one. It's endless and ongoing but the real kicker is you will never actually achieve that look anyway despite the money you throw at the endless stream of shifting products because that which is doing the REAL heavy lifting to achieve the ageless look is not really discussed - the Botox at the Mayfair Clinic and the various other injectable/laser/IPL treatments. Without these structural interventions which would probably cost upwards of £5k ++ a year minimum to maintain, not to mentioned the hair extensions and the lip/face filler, you can and will never be able to keep up or achieve the same results. Never. You will age, you are ageing but keep throwing money at this and that product to look like me. That is the core of what I find irritating about her content. The lack of full transparency.

Yet she dismisses opinions like mine as trolling and exaggerates the content in this forum. The word that springs to mind is Cognitive Dissonance. Until she shifts from that position and addresses the fact she is an Influencer and major part of that is enabling people to spend money which they may or may not have to dispose of, she will remain entrenched.

This aspect of the industry boils down to FEAR and MONEY- the marketing machine (of which she is a cog) generates money, a lot of it. You the reader FEAR fine lines and wrinkles and from this fear the industry and people like Sali Hughes make money. There is much more to beauty and makeup of course (much of which is creative, empowering etc.,) but I am specifically talking about anti-aging products and her lack of full disclosure on this front. I thought I would leave a list of online content I find edifying -

The High Low Show
The Adam Buxton Show
Desert Island Discs
Fabulous post, JH1980

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hello,

The High Low Show
The Adam Buxton Show
Desert Island Discs
I do agree but, in fairness, I would say that I don't think SH talks/writes much about 'anti-aging' products. Most of her content is about make-up and when it is about skincare she'll describe the benefits as being 'glow' or 'vibrancy' or 'cosseting'. I can't recall her claiming that a product will improve fine lines and wrinkles or loss of firmness or enlarged pores - the 'signs of aging' that brands identify. She is due, however, to post something shortly on retinol products - which are aimed at skin aging - so will be interesting to see what credit she gives then to the heavy lifting that goes on in Mayfair...

I think you're absolutely right though about the endless stream of #cantlivewithout products and the way that taps into a never-ending quest for the holy grail - the one foundation, concealer, lipcolour that will be transformative.

Reactions: 7
SH used to talk more about anti-ageing properties in skincare products. Can’t be fussed to look back at her columns, but there has been a definite shift towards a more muddled talk around perceived benefits from using skincare. There’s certainly been a shift towards more make up recently.

Personally I feel this is another way she has moved into influenced territory. It’s easier to say something will give you ‘glowy/ fresh’ skin, whatever that means, than claim it will reduce the fine lines around your eye area.

@JH1980 makes some valid points about the fact that SH is part of the world of product-shifters who are always there to recommend the next best thing. There is only this many times a person can say something is ‘life-changing’ or ‘game changer’ (god, she has used this one so many times) before us regular punters start wondering does she really like any of these products as much as she claims to? For me a game changer product means I’ve found The One and have stopped looking. There are a few products like this in my skincare and makeup stash that I buy again and again, but I guess that won’t be useful if I were a beauty guru trying to churn out new stuff.

There is something to be said that the highest value products in the beauty box were skincare products. If you are going to include a £60 oil with the main ingredient bring squalene (cheap) I want to know what ‘expert’ opinion prompted that.

Reactions: 7
Not so much recently but she did in early columns claim that both groomed brows and false eyelashes are as rejuvenating as Botox and that the key to a youthful appearance is white teeth.
Now she claims not to be concerned about ageing and wrinkles and to want glow from her skincare, neglevtong to mention she's got the anti ageing bit covered by regular Botox. In the Vogue piece about her wedding she mentioned getting her usual hair extensions but not anything about any injectibles (though gave a shout out to her Botox practitioner). There was another article she did recently of her beauty address book where under the heading of anti-ageing she went on about Vitamin C - no mention of any other help in that department.
Much longer ago there was the debacle of the photo shopped image to accompany a column which apparently had been submitted and published by mistake but which SH happily shared on Instagram the day the column was published - no mention that a misleading photo had been used.
This is the column - there are loads of comments about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...ali-hughes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Samsung_Notes

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.