Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think BBB handled that exchange well, and I take her point that the real culprits are those that stand to profit from the sale of such an item eg Bella Freud, La Hughes & retailers. I despise faux intellectuals who like the cachet of a cool slogan rather actually understanding what they are talking about. Idiots.
Agreed, but I’m not impressed with the commenters who decided to have a go at Jane, rather than at Sali or Bella Freud, or Cult Beauty. By leaving the original comments up and not removing her post, Jane has ensured that more people will learn about it. Deleting it would have had the opposite effect. She doesn’t deserve a shoeing for it :rolleyes:.

Yes, sorry. I found the same thing. Tattle itself seems to autocorrect ponce to ponce and weirdo to weirdo. It’s so odd. If I click edit, then my original typing is still there, eg ponce, but when I click post/save it’s changed to ponce. So I ended up spacing it out 🤷🏻‍♀️ @admin??

ETA: see what I mean?! Here it is in edit:

View attachment 131376
Probably to avoid libel charges.

Reactions: 4
I totally agree, @BostonFernGreen. I didn’t realise it still needed saying, but we all have to be absolutely zero tolerance re child sexual exploitation. Everyone. The candle episode shows that there are still people happy to push CSE under the carpet in public view. I’m quite surprised and really disturbed by this.

Reactions: 7
Yeah, I guess they don’t want those words just thrown about on here. I’m quite comfortable using them for a dead poet who was in a p a e d o advocacy group though!

Full disclosure - I always thought he was cool because 60s NYC & beat poets & Kate Moss are cool, but I only knew about Howl, not his personal life (which I’ve only learnt about through here) I think if Sali was being honest she would say exactly the same. Because the alternative is she knew and still thinks he’s cool, which is beyond gross

Reactions: 4
I truly don’t get the Ginsberg thing. Ok, I can understand when people don’t know at first, is curiosity dead though? If I saw a candle/jumper/whatever saying ‘Joe Bloggs is God’ my natural curiosity would make me try to find out who and what Joe Boggs is/was.

when the Saville abhorrence came to light, the BBC ripped all his TOTP and show footage. I recall vaguely a clip of him slipping through the net and there were profuse apologies.

just a name though eh Sal? Obviously she has never actually known any abuse victims and doesn’t give a flying one about them anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Agreed, but I’m not impressed with the commenters who decided to have a go at Jane, rather than at Sali or Bella Freud, or Cult Beauty. By leaving the original comments up and not removing her post, Jane has ensured that more people will learn about it. Deleting it would have had the opposite effect. She doesn’t deserve a shoeing for it :rolleyes:.
Maybe they’re also doing that. If nobody commented on her post then nobody would learn about it as she herself hasn’t proactively mentioned it. I thought the comments were fairly balanced and soft and it’s nice to see her engaging too. She does seem lovely.

Reactions: 3
Maybe they’re also doing that. If nobody commented on her post then nobody would learn about it as she herself hasn’t proactively mentioned it. I thought the comments were fairly balanced and soft and it’s nice to see her engaging too. She does seem lovely.
I agree. The difference between the way Jane and Sali engage with their comments is insane! Jane does seem lovely from what I have seen of her.

Reactions: 5
Yes, fair enough. I think it’s good that she left it all up for people to see.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes, fair enough. I think it’s good that she left it all up for people to see.
Yeah I agree and maybe she’s actually doing the best thing as in she’s not burnt bridges with SH but she has given a voice to people with valid critique. She’s a smart woman and I expect she’s given it a lot of thought. Did you see she offered to have a private convo with one longtime commenter who felt strongly about it? That was a warm gesture.

From what she has put in the public domain, it seems that SH has close friends who are engaged by national broadsheets to comment on culture/pop culture/celebrity/manners/morals etc. Her Beauty Banks co-founder is an experienced beauty PR. How could they have seen her in that BF sweater - in a post or IRL - and not had a word with her?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
How calm and considered bbb is. Someone’s commented that SH is stubborn and defensive which seems to be it, in a nutshell.

Do you think these slogan fans truly like to sit and read beat poetry? (Genuine question - despite a literature Undergrad and Postgrad am not good with poetry).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
@Yel - whose video did Sali jack-in-the-box into? She must have some kind of alert set up to monitor this!
Katy heyes markup (no me neither..)

Sali must obsessively read here to always pop up in others posts to talk about herself 😆

That should be makeup but I want to leave in the autocorrect as it's somewhat apt with infuencers and the tit they pedal 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I am so tired of Sali implying that Tattlers are broken, damaged people. I'm a fully functioning member of society and judging by the witty, intelligent and hilarious posters here, everyone else is too. We're not drooling keyboard warriors living in our Mom's basement spewing out bile. We can think critically and are disillusioned by Sali and other influencers.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
My main issue is nothing to do with how she presents herself in product content, what’s in her column or anything along those lines. It’s always been directly related to her video that Friday, which sent me here... where I read every single thread and could not connect the dots between the video and what was being said here. That video was the one event that alerted me to question her version of the truth, because she has a very different view of what has been said here. There was also the snippy vibes I picked up on in the comments and replies on her IG channel.

We all perceive events through the lens in which we see. I genuinely think she doesn’t see it and never will. With that in mind, I really don’t see the point. I’m annoyed with myself for being so easily influenced by the whole influencer category - whether that’s stealth selling of a cleanser to spending money on a book I will never read...

I don’t want to be misrepresented (as part of this forum) by her. I am aware that she probably feels exactly the same way about what she reads on here. So I find myself
coming full circle and feeling MEH about it.

Not quite sure where this has come from but just wanted to put it out there.
Same here. Before that video a) I had never heard of Tattle and b) I was only mildy irritated by SH (the #presstreatments, the know all/never wrong attitude, the apparent - but not mentioned - Botox). It was the self-serving misrepresentation of here - and the pile on she encouraged - that made me see her differently.

This forum has made me think about influencer culture in a way I hadn't before. I'm sure there must be other influencers just as deserving of my scrutiny but it was SH who sent me here and I'm loyal that way.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
"Most requested"
"heartening"
"not quite there yet" ...she's trolling us!
"pleasing"
Also sentences with so many sub clauses and multiple brackets you have to read then twice.
Is it me or is "heavier duty" really clunky and ugly sounding? Phrasing stuff in a novel way for the sake of it isn't goid writing, especially when it jars and you have to reread it as you say. She says in today's video that her position on eye cream is misunderstood - probably because she's often too busy faffing about with stupid turns of phrase that her meaning gets lost.
The tangles she gets herself into on Twitter also illustrate this. For a professional writer, she's not very good at communicating clearly.

Reactions: 9
Is it me or is "heavier duty" really clunky and ugly sounding? Phrasing stuff in a novel way for the sake of it isn't goid writing, especially when it jars and you have to reread it as you say. She says in today's video that her position on eye cream is misunderstood - probably because she's often too busy faffing about with stupid turns of phrase that her meaning gets lost.
The tangles she gets herself into on Twitter also illustrate this. For a professional writer, she's not very good at communicating clearly.
Misunderstood? She has very clearly stated multiple times that she thinks eye creams are just moisturisers in a smaller pot or words to that effect. Why can't she just say "actually I was wrong and I've realised that a separate eye cream is better". No, it's everyone else's fault for misunderstanding. Not that she's done a u-turn. Never her fault. Even in the days I hung on Sali's every word I never agreed with the eye cream stance. Eyes get puffy if I use regular face moisturiser. I use an eye serum or gel mostly

Reactions: 10
From what she has put in the public domain, it seems that SH has close friends who are engaged by national broadsheets to comment on culture/pop culture/celebrity/manners/morals etc. Her Beauty Banks co-founder is an experienced beauty PR. How could they have seen her in that BF sweater - in a post or IRL - and not had a word with her?
Thing is The Guardian published this in 2014 (which I find mind-boggling). Sali must have found out about the link with paedophilia either during her research for this piece or, like you say, someone more knowledgeable responding to it. She doesn’t care. If there’s any chance that it will help her achieve any kind of cool, literary-girl chic, or give her a tenuous link with the worlds of Bella Freud and Kate Moss, then she’s fine with it.

As she says, having researched the Bella Freud slogan for this piece, “I love it more now than ever”. Plus look at The Guardian’s photo caption, FFS.

13E6A5D9-751D-46DC-B525-7306AED1C10C.jpeg

DA91EAC9-C296-4D17-ABF7-9AA90495A2ED.jpeg

4ED5F258-C69C-4232-9CC7-8A96EB7260AE.jpeg
4F8E542C-915D-4865-B433-E1DB555CC9FB.jpeg

(Sorry to repeat myself, but I think this is key. Link: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/jan/14/kate-moss-most-stylish-moments-40th-birthday)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
“I love it now more than ever” is such a Sali phrase, implying as it does “I have long loved [x, y or z].”

• Haha
Thing is The Guardian published this in 2014 (which I find mind-boggling). Sali must have found out about the link with paedophilia either during her research for this piece or, like you say, someone more knowledgeable responding to it. She doesn’t care. If there’s any chance that it will help her achieve any kind of cool, literary-girl chic, or give her a tenuous link with the worlds of Bella Freud and Kate Moss, then she’s fine with it.

As she says, having researched the Bella Freud slogan for this piece, “I love it more now than ever”. Plus look at The Guardian’s photo caption, FFS.

View attachment 131448
View attachment 131450
View attachment 131449View attachment 131454
Love how she's at pains to point out the one and only time she's rushed out to buy something after seeing something on a celeb and calls it "shameful". The irony in that statement. She doesn't see that that's what she expects women to do in her capacity as an "influencer". She's the one that influences people and don't you forget it, ok.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
Everyone from Bella Freud to the buyers at CB, Liberty and the rest, to SH, to Jenny Youpi Colgan. They share responsibility. This is how abuse happens: nobody will stick their head above the parapet and say: I draw the line here.

How are these the people we look up to? Ugh this candle thing has really upset me. It’s so Black Mirror. Frustrating beyond belief that the people who have the loudest voice can live with themselves when they promote this sort of rotten behaviour.
You are so right - surely there has to be a line with child abuse. There can't be an 'acceptable' abuser that we turn a blind eye to because they are 'cool' and shrug our shoulders and say 'oh well it's just a name'.
Didn't Chris Morris do a Brass Eye about this years ago? And got slated for it?

And look at the co-contributors to that Guardian piece. None of them knew or had a word? (Appreciate they probably didn’t see Sali’s piece until after publication.)

FC3A5051-D9EA-4B12-8C98-5F2A5B34E376.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.