Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Somebody here who worked in the industry (sorry, I can’t remember who it was now) said a few threads back that in her experience these products are often donated by the brands for the exposure. (Presumably they can offset this against tax, too.)
I saw it said in the context of Caroline Hirons's yellow plastic case of products last year - so posibly on the CH thread - that she'd got the products free.

I'm not sure that can be so. Although it gives a product exposure it also means lost sales if customers get it via the box rather than buy shop it separately. And if it's a product that the influencer has already declared to be a favourite - hence its inclusion - I'm not sure what further benefit in terms of exposure there is for the brand/product.

I think it's likely that different arrangements are negotiated with different brands depending on how much they calculate they'll benefit from their inclusion.

Reactions: 3
I saw it said in the context of Caroline Hirons's yellow plastic case of products last year - so posibly on the CH thread - that she'd got the products free.

I'm not sure that can be so. Although it gives a product exposure it also means lost sales if customers get it via the box rather than buy shop it separately. And if it's a product that the influencer has already declared to be a favourite - hence its inclusion - I'm not sure what further benefit in terms of exposure there is for the brand/product.

I think it's likely that different arrangements are negotiated with different brands depending on how much they calculate they'll benefit from their inclusion.
I thinks it's probably like with QVC thing. They order massive quantities to get a lower price per unit from the manufacturer.

CH said on her kit video that she had invoices to pay for the brands and the brands usually donate the products which are sent for PR so she has to speak to each brand about donating her press samples to the NHS otherwise I would presume that she would be breaking her contracts with the brands.

Reactions: 1
Oh look what some deep research* turns up... Sali and her chums mocking Biossance. Just last October:

30D46219-49DE-4F6A-9B41-549C7A24299B.jpeg
939BE162-813B-4954-86B5-FD56F60603B4.jpeg

Sali next mentions Biossance on 29 February this year in her Guardian column, praising their eye gel as the “main object of my affections” despite the fact that it “inevitably, costs more than a half tank of petrol”.

The very next day, she mentions Biossance again, on Instagram: “Squalane + vitamin C rose oil (adore it)”

Now what could have happened between October 2019 and February 2020 for SH to go from mocking the brand to promoting them?

* deep research = googling Sali + Biossance

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
the only one I have noticed her repeatedly going on about are the Dennis Gross pads. The squalane cleanser she has mentioned a couple of times recently, not sure when it was released.
ironically she said that the 50ml size of the cleanser (the original size) was too small :m now they have made a 150ml one, but she put the legally full size but admittedly small size in her massive box

now if she'd made a box from one of her guardian best under £15 lists, the savings would be decent and even I would prob have bought one

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Now what could have happened between October 2019 and February 2020 for SH to go from mocking the brand to promoting them?
ahhh her cheque cleared.

Odious Sam Farmer’s words could have been written about Sali’s box “a mendacious marketing tactic deliberately created to cynically exploit the consumer by ridiculing them for profit”

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
ironically she said that the 50ml size of the cleanser (the original size) was too small :m now they have made a 150ml one, but she put the legally full size but admittedly small size in her massive box

now if she'd made a box from one of her guardian best under £15 lists, the savings would be decent and even I would prob have bought one
And the larger size brought down the cost per ml by a not-insignificant amount, which lends further weight to the idea that the 50ml tube would have been in low demand so CB would likely have had excess stock.

Who would buy a 50ml cleanser for £5.50 when you can get 150ml for £13.90 - unless it’s for travel lol

Attachments

Reactions: 4
ahhh her cheque cleared.

Odious Sam Farmer’s words could have been written about Sali’s box “a mendacious marketing tactic deliberately created to cynically exploit the consumer by ridiculing them for profit”
Isn't Sam Farmer a pain?
I get the impression from him he thinks he is far cleverer than he actually appears to be. A rude pompous tone about anyone who has a different point of view.
I listened to that podcast with him, Sali and CH and honestly he was dull as ditchwater.

And I noticed neither Sali or Caroline lectured Victoria Beckham about calling her range 'clean'. Caroline had every opportunity at the launch as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
And I noticed neither Sali or Caroline lectured Victoria Beckham about calling her range 'clean'. Caroline had every opportunity at the launch as well.
Same! You can almost see them biting their tongues but its so frustrating that they don't address it head on but they just rant on their socials instead.

Reactions: 1
In other words Sali’s Box No 2 will be full of the old jaded stock again, a couple of travel sizes and a Rolf Harris annual.
Sorry, catching up but that really made me laugh.

coming soon: Sali’s box of inappropriate/unwanted tit (delete for your own preference for the complete semi-personalised unboxing experience)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Imagine French & Saunders taking off IG influencer! God that would be good. Or Catherine Tate.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Another inconsistency about The Box of Bollox: Cult Beauty still have the lighter shades of the CC cream in stock. So either they estimated a very low take-up (based on the waitinglist) or they could bang out more boxes but the demand just isn’t there?

I don’t actually give a toss how she and CB try to gloss over what looks like low sales. It’s just that it’s on the back of so much #prettydishonest treatment of her readership/potential customers.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Has she actually posted anywhere about the box selling out? I haven't seen a peep, this makes me think it definitely wasn't a sell out in the true sense of the word

Reactions: 2
And the larger size brought down the cost per ml by a not-insignificant amount, which lends further weight to the idea that the 50ml tube would have been in low demand so CB would likely have had excess stock.

Who would buy a 50ml cleanser for £5.50 when you can get 150ml for £13.90 - unless it’s for travel lol
CB currently has a bundle of the 50 plus the 150 cleansers for 17.46. Probably excess stock.

Reactions: 2
God, look at that word salad. Is there a marketing tactic not deliberately created? Isn't everything beauty "for profit". What a dunce

You can just tell what a painful person he'd be in real life

Meh, I'm tired of her box. Got to say though, I'd have thought she'd focus more on writing during this time than moving fully into sales. But needs must, I guess

Probably povo writer in the garret is not her aesthetic. Those Bella Freud jumpers aren't cheap

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.