Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
People have every right to minutely dissect a product costing £130. I think it is a bit of a misstep as @PineappleQueen19 said. The horrible candle, the cruelty free 🐌 stuff, the £5 Ordinary cleanser and the incredibly stingey Dennis Gross pads. Over half the products are problematic.
I will be fascinated to know how many are sold - is there a way of finding out?
I had a quick look at the Cult Beauty site for the first time, there are so many nice looking things - I really wonder what her thought process was with these?

Reactions: 13

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Thing is The Guardian published this in 2014 (which I find mind-boggling). Sali must have found out about the link with paedophilia either during her research for this piece or, like you say, someone more knowledgeable responding to it. She doesn’t care. If there’s any chance that it will help her achieve any kind of cool, literary-girl chic, or give her a tenuous link with the worlds of Bella Freud and Kate Moss, then she’s fine with it.

As she says, having researched the Bella Freud slogan for this piece, “I love it more now than ever”. Plus look at The Guardian’s photo caption, FFS.

View attachment 131448
View attachment 131450
View attachment 131449View attachment 131454
Love how she's at pains to point out the one and only time she's rushed out to buy something after seeing something on a celeb and calls it "shameful". The irony in that statement. She doesn't see that that's what she expects women to do in her capacity as an "influencer". She's the one that influences people and don't you forget it, ok.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 13

Raker

VIP Member
"Ginseng is god" is an improvement, I've got to say. Still, I am cringing with embarrassment just listening to her

Influencers are beyond parody at this point
maybe Sali’s been quiet because she’s been busy with a gold sharpie? Hand correcting each candle before the boxes are dispatched?

• Haha
Reactions: 12

AsterSalonen

It's cynical and misleading, the way boxes like that are priced. It's worth what you paid for it, and not a penny more, because the whole thing has been calculated to turn a profit through volume. And of course there is no way in hell anyone was planning on buying those exact same things individually.
I bet it could be even less expensive if they didn't send so many freebies out to "influencers". Plebs can pay full cost, blue tickers can have them for free.

I bet it could be even less expensive if they didn't send so many freebies out to "influencers". Plebs can pay full cost, blue tickers can have them for free.
Sorry, I apologize for my tone. I just get sick of that industry. It's so disingenuous.

Last edited:
  • Angry

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
The terrifying 'advice' that is pushed at women around spf makes me sad. So women are now supposed to shield themselves inside their own homes? Is there nowhere women can just be without the claws of the beauty industry embedded in them?

The benefit of Spf is overstated. Obvs don't sit in the sun and sizzle, but skin ages from the inside too. You are going to get wrinkles. It will sag and dimple. It will lose elasticity. You will look like an old woman one day. It's inescapable, a fact of being alive.

There is no reason aging should be categorised as 'a bad thing'.

Spf is a pollutant, hence various resorts around the world banning it. Rates of skin cancer aren't really dropping, despite years of spf being championed because smearing chemicals on your skin and then adding heat has its own adverse effects on skin.

This old lady can confirm, via an unofficial survey of her own friends who do and don't wear spf, that over the years it doesn't make enough of a difference to merit the hassle or expense.

• Heart

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
I wonder why she even started mentioning legal terms? Sucks all the joy out of what should be a fun light-hearted venture.
And when I worked in retail (Saturday job in the local deli donkey's years ago but it still counts) it was drummed into us the customer is king. You might think a customer is an absolute twat but you don't argue with them and tell them they are wrong. There are ways and means of handling people politely.
I just can’t get my head round her saying ‘ I don’t want to argue with you’ to someone who is corresponding with her over something she’s selling. She thinks she doing people a favour by ‘curating’ (cult beauty dead stock) a box.
It’s so unprofessional and snippy.

• Sad

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
CB now says the box is sold out.

Option A) it's a ploy so she can send out an email saying its 'back in stock'
Option B) candle related controversy
Option C) it's been pulled
Option D) it has been bought in the millions by women with less beefy faces than us
Option E) there were only 200 boxes to start with

• Haha

Puzzfish

I don’t doubt conversations about the box started happening a year ago, but as Biossance announced it was coming to the UK in January and started being sold by Cult Beauty in March this year, but still managed to make it into the box, I think it’s a bit much to suggest there was zero flexibility and her hands were tied.

• Wow

Raker

VIP Member
Friends recently returned from a posting in Saudi report the same thing re eye health in their kids — they spent so much time indoors, out of sun/heat looking at screens that they’re both now wearing glasses, for exactly the focal distancing reasons described above. Optometrist said it was a growing problem, and something like a 25% increase in myopia worldwide in this generation is expected for this reason 🤓

I fear the Jack Monroe thread speed reads are having the same effect on me...

• Haha
  • Wow

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Bella Freud seems like one of those people who wouldn't have got anywhere without their surname. Growing up she did beauty reviews in a sunday supplement and early-teen acne me just felt shit because her treatment reviews were always over the £100 mark. Her jumpers and candles just scream "I have money but no personal style" me.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
If there's something I enjoy more than watching her thorough reviews and ASMR makeup application, it's her interaction with other women.

• Haha