Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Tattle management have spoken: the woman is a damn GURU!!

On an early thread someone posted that Tattle HQ hadn’t heard of SH and so didn’t know where to put her 😂
Yes at the beginning she started off under 'celebrity' 😂

A cursory (and admittedly somewhat tragic on my part) look has shown the most recent mentions of Hersheson's by Sali in The Guardian.

March 18 'Your hair regime doesn't have to be hard work'
March 27 'Solitary confinement - a lockdown survival guide'
April 11 'Top 10 lockdown beauty tips'
May 2 'Supporting hair salons'.

When word count is so low I don't understand why prominence is given to one quite niche brand so often.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

Rosielite

Chatty Member
Sali's latest Guardian column -

There are some 42,000 hair salons in the UK and at the time of writing, every one is closed. I miss them dreadfully – the roar of competing dryers, the fug of lacquer, the happy chatter between trusted stylist and loyal client – but nothing like as much as salons miss their livelihoods.
Now we all miss our hairdressers, but I suspect I'd miss them more if I wasn't paying either?

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Ha...not in her world, where unless there is a signed contract specifically directing her to post an 8 minute video about a single new product for which she has received cash compensation, then of course that video was done purely out of the goodness of heart. The fact they gave her an expensive photoshoot, spring make up collection etc last month has nothing - NOTHING - to do with it and how very dare you for alleging she is not in perfect compliance with ALL the rules...

Also, was it my eyes or is the colour different? The new version looked an improved shade - less orange and more beige, although the colour tone was the same. It looked different in the pot and I thought was more obvious when on her face.
Isn't it more basic than that even - the fact she was given the product free #presssample and reviewed it favourably means it is an #AD? Even if no money is involved. That was my understanding of the ASA rules.
I think the fact she was/is part of that campaign earlier this year also points to that - was the bronzer part of that collection? (I've no idea if it was tbh).
I know it must seem tedious I'm sure to have to slap AD on everything you mention (I'm not even being facetious) as it is just an opinion, but strictly within the ASA guidelines that was an ad.
And I know she thinks we are horribly mean constantly pointing this out when other influencers are as bad if not worse, but this thread is about her. Other threads about other influencers say the same.

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
I think BBB handled that exchange well, and I take her point that the real culprits are those that stand to profit from the sale of such an item eg Bella Freud, La Hughes & retailers. I despise faux intellectuals who like the cachet of a cool slogan rather actually understanding what they are talking about. Idiots.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Goddess. Effortlessly cool (jumper aside), no fucks given. What Sali aspires to
Jumper aside (a mistake on Kate's part) Sali can only dream of being like Kate Moss. Little Miss Snippy? She hasn't a hope.

In my younger days I used to be cabin crew and I met Kate twice. I can honestly say she was really lovely. Very down to earth and really polite.

Not something anyone is ever going to say about 'La Hughes'.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
She's a nasty piece of work. I certainly wouldn't want her as a friend.

I mentioned it before, but her fake accent really annoys me. She's Welsh. I know she spins us all the story of how she ran away from home at 15 and was practically a street urchin, but the truth is you really have to work at it to lose your accent.

I grew up in the country, left home at 18 to go to uni in a large city and never moved back. I'm 40 now, living in city suburbs and STILL have the accent that I left home with over 20 years ago.
People still ask me where I'm originally from because I don't have an accent local to where I live now.

Nobody should ever be so ashamed of their accent that they feel the need to change it in order to get on in life.

Listen to Cerys Matthews. A Welsh accent certainly never did her any harm.

• Heart

Originalnuttah

@hongkongfuey, you are not bringing anyone down. Brave personal disclosures like yours bring our casual chats into a totally different perspective.
I suspect that SH did not do her work/ research on the box and it shows! She is all about the product, but when the product is so badly researched, there’s nowhere to hide.

melfish

VIP Member
It's cynical and misleading, the way boxes like that are priced. It's worth what you paid for it, and not a penny more, because the whole thing has been calculated to turn a profit through volume. And of course there is no way in hell anyone was planning on buying those exact same things individually.

• Heart

crossword

Thank you so much for making me feel better @Jelly Bean & @Spanner.

Don't feel silly! I initially thought the same, that Sam was being genuine. I think (and hope!) the people other than Sali and Lauren that liked her comment probably did so for the same reason you did.

I'm surprised she hasn't been called out by a journalist or someone with a large following on Twitter.

Yes definitely makes you wonder what’s behind those likes. And shows how easily misunderstandings occur.

I was actually thinking about the possibility of a journalist taking up the the topic of the candle.

Hey, this posting business is actually fun 😂!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Her problem is her buying audience are on the whole so clued up and savvy about products. She is trying to sell them something for £130. £130. So people are entitled to thoroughly analyse what they are getting (not everyone is lucky enough to be #presssampled one of them). If that many people are saying they feel a bit duped/misled then surely they can't all be wrong?

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I think BBB handled that exchange well, and I take her point that the real culprits are those that stand to profit from the sale of such an item eg Bella Freud, La Hughes & retailers. I despise faux intellectuals who like the cachet of a cool slogan rather actually understanding what they are talking about. Idiots.
Yes I agree, she’s brilliant at conversing with her followers. BUT. I don’t agree with her position. I don’t understand how she can say she’s not involved and beyond criticism because she didn’t make the candle?

Everyone from Bella Freud to the buyers at CB, Liberty and the rest, to SH, to Jenny Youpi Colgan. They share responsibility. This is how abuse happens: nobody will stick their head above the parapet and say: I draw the line here.

How are these the people we look up to? Ugh this candle thing has really upset me. It’s so Black Mirror. Frustrating beyond belief that the people who have the loudest voice can live with themselves when they promote this sort of rotten behaviour.

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Utterly pointless with possibly duff information (the vouchers). Why is such a lot of her lockdown beauty centred around hair anyway? When the advice seems to be 'just leave it alone'.
I'd say because Hershesons and SH don't have a written contract, just an understanding that she'll keep mentioning them and they'll keep giving her the freebies...Looking at Hershesons' prices, that freebie is worth a lot to SH.

Hairdressers will be just fine after lockdown. They have skills which will always be needed. Hair salons might not be, but if as SH claims, only a tiny proportion of the appointment fee (a cut and finish at Hershesons starts at £80) goes to the actual stylist, there's little point in shelling out the £240+ for three vouchers SH recommends as it will just go towards paying rent rather than the staff, who are presumably eligible for furlough or self employment schemes anyway.

Lemsipmax

Arguing about the supposed legal definition of the size of packs of dubious skin care wipey pads. Fucking tragic!

PS Gingivitis is bad mkay

• Haha

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I still wonder why she put that fecking candle in - such a waste and an obvious filler. It isn't a beauty product is it? For that £45 I would so much prefer - well almost anything actually - a good eye shadow palette and lipstick? I know that isn't skincare but neither is a bloody candle.
also possibly a big suck up to Bella Freud who may now send her free jumpers so she doesn’t need to shop in her sale (I couldn’t roll my eyes back enough when she said that)

• Haha

Disillusioned

VIP Member
This. It's just product lists. We are supposed to believe she has some special power which makes her able to intuit the 'best' products so those product lists aren't random, as if she is some sort of faith healer who will transform your life.
She was always very vague about her testing protocol. She used to claim to send products out for others to trial, but it always sounded more like a few friends. Haven’t heard her refer to any kind of product trials in years. Her recommendations are now so clearly brand-driven not consumer-driven.

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
Me too. Also interested to understand the economics. It's being sold at 40% off rrp plus free worldwide shipping. Plus there's the expense of producing a glossy brochure and special packaging. And yet it's still making enough profit to make it worthwhile for SH, Cult Beauty and the brands.
Exactly. These boxes just highlight what an obscene markup they put on their products. It has put me off a lot of brands for sure and I've unsubscribed from Cult Beauty and won't be buying from them again.

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
the only one I have noticed her repeatedly going on about are the Dennis Gross pads. The squalane cleanser she has mentioned a couple of times recently, not sure when it was released.
ironically she said that the 50ml size of the cleanser (the original size) was too small :m now they have made a 150ml one, but she put the legally full size but admittedly small size in her massive box

now if she'd made a box from one of her guardian best under £15 lists, the savings would be decent and even I would prob have bought one

Attachments

• Wow