Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
If that's in relation to me, I'm talking specifically about nobody seeming to have any issue with the wording on the Bella Freud stuff. Not Ginsberg himself. There's plenty out there about him.
Oh no I didn't mean you at all - I totally agreed with your comment - I really meant Bella Freud and Sali. Actually Bella Freud mostly. To make such a bold statement (and make money) on clothes, products etc lionising someone you would have to be so sure of your facts, not just lazily use an alliterative slogan as it sounded 'cool'. And it really wasn't hard to find the sex abuse claims.
I didn't know these things about him until this thread - but once seen you can't unsee them. I presume Sali didn't know either tbf to her. I presume she trusted Bella Freud wouldn't be celebrating a child molester - it really is not the first thing you would think of.

Edit: I just wondered there if that is why Cult Beauty had such a backlog of the candles? As they are hardly a new product. People just won't buy them? So they were foisted onto an unsuspecting Sali as a 'huge favour'?

• Heart
Reactions: 11

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I personally agree about not complaining - I think the message has filtered through enough, not just from here, but Caroline Hiron's group, British Beauty Blogger plus Sali's own IG amongst others. (Also one of the golden rules of Tattle is 'keep it on Tattle' - so it can't be construed as harassment). Though I like everyone here am disgusted with the inclusion of the wretched candle and Sali's quite flippant comments after it was pointed out.

(Btw @AmberSpyglass I keep meaning to ask how your Dad is? Hope things are getting better for him and you all).
Hi Jelly, thanks for asking😊. He’s doing really really well , it’s taken a good month or so but he’s up , walking and feels very well .

There was an article I read yesterday that elderly people with Diabetes have a much higher chance of succumbing to the virus, that he beat it is fairly astounding , again thanks for asking , you’re all such a lovely lot here 🥰🥰.

Back to Sali, found this little gem, come on Jane, Sali has already written about it , duh!!

Attachments

• Heart

Disillusioned

VIP Member
Career-wise, I think she might soon be wishing she’d followed this famous advice:

“Always be pleasant to the people you meet on the way going up—for they are the same people you meet on the way down!”

She treated the readers who created her community btl at The Guardian and then in GTL/SHB like crap as soon as her career took off away from those platforms. All influencers are going to feel the pinch now. SH might regret not respecting her genuinely keen readers and fans a little more.

And the move away from seemingly honest recommendations towards paid-for influencing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I got that candle about 5 years ago, I kept it to store makeup brushes. Feel a bit ill, had no idea he was such a twisted f*ck
If you got the candle 5 years ago it's hardly cutting-edge content in this box is it.
Say what you like about Hirons, at least her collections were pretty good quality and value. Between a candle and a product from The Ordinary, this is pretty rubbish, IMO.

melfish

VIP Member
dafuq is a fug?

That column! Utter self-serving codswallop that no one even looked at before hitting send. A typo in the headline ffs. "Loving your locks" who talks like this except for leftover beauty editors? Where is the reader service in that column? Does shoehorning in a couple of products tick that box?

Last edited:

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
i find her videos excruciating, they aren’t comfortable, relaxing, something to watch over a cuppa. I watched part of the Chanel one today as it’s a product I do quite like. Her gaspy, brittle delivery is just painful and her application of the product was so grim I didn’t stick around for the second cheek.
I found 8 minutes to say 'they are nearly the same apart from coconut oil' in a variety of ways was a bit excessive too.
And yes as if Chanel are going to say - 'Yes it makes you spotty. Your cunning line of questioning has caught us out'. Maybe ask people who, dunno, aren't actually invested in the product?

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
Is her box thing today? Did she deprive us of an IGTV talking about the candle? Not awkward surely?

Interesting that La Hughes has put a shot of Mary Greenwell doing her wedding make-up on Insta (on a post wishing Sam McKnight happy birthday). So it wasn’t Lisa Eldridge who ‘fucked up’ her wedding make-up & that can’t be the reason why they have such a tepid relationship.
that was her second wedding. Think she used that photo as she obviously had to include herself when wishing Sam McKnight a happy birthday. Maybe there aren’t any photos of him on his own on the internet.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I think the term 'whip smart' is quite often patronisingly applied to women who aren't conventionally perceived as bright, only the commenter is uniquely able to see this eg the aforementioned Danny Baker/Scarlett Moffat. Sali has said it about, amongst others, Pamela Anderson and Stacey Solomon. (Their intelligence quite often hadn't been questioned in the first place by most people).

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Is it me or is "heavier duty" really clunky and ugly sounding? Phrasing stuff in a novel way for the sake of it isn't goid writing, especially when it jars and you have to reread it as you say. She says in today's video that her position on eye cream is misunderstood - probably because she's often too busy faffing about with stupid turns of phrase that her meaning gets lost.
The tangles she gets herself into on Twitter also illustrate this. For a professional writer, she's not very good at communicating clearly.
Misunderstood? She has very clearly stated multiple times that she thinks eye creams are just moisturisers in a smaller pot or words to that effect. Why can't she just say "actually I was wrong and I've realised that a separate eye cream is better". No, it's everyone else's fault for misunderstanding. Not that she's done a u-turn. Never her fault. Even in the days I hung on Sali's every word I never agreed with the eye cream stance. Eyes get puffy if I use regular face moisturiser. I use an eye serum or gel mostly

Aude

VIP Member
British Beauty Blogger lists the box contents as including 'Bella Freud Ginsbery is God candle'. I wonder who/what she thinks Ginsbery is.

• Haha
I'm sure SH once wrote never to trust a man who hadn't graduated beyond reading Kerouac's On the Road. Her apparent worship of Ginsberg is odd given her sneering attitude towards the Beats. Oh and Ginsberg's documented support of NAMBLA. What's Sali's take on Polanski and Woody Allen? Can she name more than two Ginsberg poems?

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I too hate this idea that selt-care is best achieved with the purchase of a new product. That attitude was rife among GTL iirc. I have so many nail polishes. I definitely don't need to put a delivery driver at risk by getting more mailed to me. Or spend £15 on a bottle myself.

It's a trick to make people think that if they don't spend money on a treat for themselves they aren't valuing themselves enough. It's how people get into debt. It makes me sick to think how much I was enabled in the past.

It's also grim on behalf of influencers because they aren't paying for any of their self care. They can transfer the money we spend on nail polish into their stocks and shares ISA and do some self care for their future
Exactly, as if anyone who is inclined that way doesn't have a bottle or two knocking around. If you're not into nail polish, you're not going to be divinely inspired by the column. Such a waste

My weakness from my early Sali days are lipsticks, I have so many and it truly sickens me that I was so foolish for believing that it was empowering to buy so many

As for Marian Keyes getting the box gifted, she's a millionaire author, it does sicken me that people who don't need free stuff get it while it's us saps that are expected to put our hands into our pockets. Why does anyone need to be sent a free box? Again, it shows the ridiculous mark up if the boxes are also being sent for free

Lemsipmax

I didn't understand how buying shampoo from salons would help that much. It won't help the individual hairdressers (who are the ones who will really be suffering not the salon owners) as don't they all just rent chairs?

ProudNose

I'm disgusted by her ignoring the obvious message that the pads are not what buyers expected based on the description. Legal or not. So you tricked people legally. Well done.

• Sad
  • Angry

ProudNose

But the candle is racially inclusive and that means so much to Sali. She also wants us to GLOW like hot bacon grease.

• Haha