Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So even with all the time she has available to write a column, it’s still just a piss poor shill. Surely time for The Guardian to intervene and ask for better or rethink it.

For the record, I do quite like Merumaya (and the quite unique smell)

Reactions: 7
I’ve previously used and liked a Merumaya cleansing balm.

I loved the smell, but not as a facial product — would have been amazing as a shower or body product!

I note she’s no longer claiming to be Beauty Editor. Resident beauty writer or some such, it seems to be now.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Is it not possible to write a column without affiliate links? It's such a teensy word count, and most of it is just pushing product. Like others, I couldn't be arsed reading it. Also, I "I have decided ..." in regards to content seems like something that wouldn't have happened

Reactions: 6
A worse sin than Merumaya's packaging, and more worthy of mention, is the strong cloying scent of all the products. I found it intolerable and threw away what I bought.
Oh yes, this! The fragrance from all of the products (especially that cleansing gel) is verging on toxic. I had to dump it too.

Reactions: 2
I’ve been listening to the dream podcast, it’s all about wellness this season. The last episode I’ve listened to is talking about goop, and how they do these blog posts but even by not saying they’re an add they’re selling them. There’s a non profit in the states taking companies and gwenyth to court. Talking about how they’re inventing problems to sell us stuff. Preying on fears. I recommend it. It rings true for a lot of what’s been discussed here. They don’t do it cause they care, they do it because they want to make money.

Reactions: 5
Is it not possible to write a column without affiliate links? It's such a teensy word count, and most of it is just pushing product. Like others, I couldn't be arsed reading it. Also, I "I have decided ..." in regards to content seems like something that wouldn't have happened
Those affiliate links apparently benefit the Guardian (as opposed to Sali), but I think it’s awfully tacky all the same.

Reactions: 4
I haven't read it either, part of my self-care regime. Also recommend the following:
- massage (patting yourself on the back for not going to a pub or a friend's garden or anywhere unnecessary)
- being kind to others (see above)
- making fun of mediocre shills (see previous threads)
- having good sex (unlike maintenance shagging)
- dressing and undressing for people from the aforementioned example
- whatever else not mentioned in lazily written texts, i.e. copied from other bloggers, columnists etc.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Those affiliate links apparently benefit the Guardian (as opposed to Sali), but I think it’s awfully tacky all the same.
Oh I know it's for the Guardian's benefit, but right now you'd think they might rein it in. Sooo tacky, as you say

Reactions: 3
Morning all, just had a nosey seeing as she’d jumped into Jack Monroe’s tattle rage to fan the flames.

Saw this and the response was a bit “hey it’s not that bad Sali”👍
That is interesting. An impartial observation from someone. Quite telling I suppose that interest here in Sali is lacklustre these days - which I'm sure she should be happy about.

A bit of a bold worrying claim too, to suggest people will commit suicide directly because of here. I (and I'm sure others here have too) have had a horrible experience of this close hand. It is a complex and desperate thing. Not sure where I'm going with this, but it is not language that should be bandied about lightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
Anyone else think it's more likely that people could get depressed because they can't afford all the products and lifestyle that influencers shill. There was a forum member with a shopping addiction, for instance.

IMO that's what makes it necessary for sites like this to cut through the influencer BS. No you don't need to use 10 different serums, and have a different cleanser for each day of the week alternating with another one for night etc etc

But of course Sali, who always parrots on about nuance and the importance of not having "binary" thoughts doesn't see it like that. It's not that we're critically minded, we're simply beefy faced trolls *insert mental health slur*

Reactions: 19
That ‘someone will take their life’ claim is the kind of threat a narcissist makes in a relationship to blackmail their partner to be compliant & play the game on their terms. If you don’t like what is being said, don’t look. If you do read it & it is blatantly untrue then jump on the thread & refute it. Criticism has always existed. If you put yourself out there, people will comment. Plus, I will point out again, we are doing nothing that Sali hasn’t done to others in the past - costing Lauren Luke her job & Dawn O’Porter her mental health. Own your tit Sali.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
To say she’s “never without” a product means nothing when you are routinely sent products and brands will ask you if there’s anything you’d like to be sent gratis.

And to suggest “no home should be without” a hyaluronic acid serum is just hyperbolic nonsense. Most households cope just fine.
PMLing here .... god help us....between the red lip, leopard tight, dressing for Leonard (the old mensch that he is) and the fact that no home should be without A (singular) hyaluronic acid I AM DONE.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
"I can assure you" but you never check and that person has just said they did?

Sali, give it a rest.

Discussing her sex life🙄, please.

Who mentioned maintenance shags in the first place , who put it in the public domain ,was it us?
She wrote a whole thinkpiece on the maintenance shag, ffs

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Sali, give it a rest.

Discussing her sex life🙄, please.

Who mentioned maintenance shags in the first place , who put it in the public domain ,was it us?
so the impartial observer just got the whole Sali liefest thrown at her. Sali’s biggest lie of course being she doesn’t read here but can quote criticism of her almost verbatim. The criticism that isn’t quite brutal enough to fit her narrative is passed off as a list like this tweet.

Sali, go back and reread your own writing, you know, those vanity pieces on The Pool your friends commissioned you for. You spill it all in them, don’t bring it up if it’s not for discussion.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.