Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She'll maybe try that trusted tack of go quiet for a bit, ignore it when you return, and if anyone mentions it again accuse them of being a bully and a troll whose opinion can be dismissed.

Reactions: 13
Yes, least said soonest mended seems to be an appropriate cliché here.

Let's face it we can all be hypocritical at times but this is an egregious example.

Reactions: 8
The mousy brown comment from FF has really riled me. It's a horrible term for light brown hair, light brown hair can be beautiful, especially as natural hair colour usually suits skin tone, etc. Sure if people want to go blonde or whatever colour, that's their choice, but this idea that they must change their "mousy brown" hair is patriarchal and outdated. But I've come to realise that beauty editors and journalists still follow outdated patriarchal ideas so it shouldn't come as a surprise

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Yes, least said soonest mended seems to be an appropriate cliché here.

Let's face it we can all be hypocritical at times but this is an egregious example.
Ugh, I sound so pompous here. Sorry folks.

The mousy brown comment from FF has really riled me.
I don't think FF has much connection to reality. She seems to waft about in a world filled with "darling, how fabulous!" people and expensive gew gaws

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Calling out any skin tone, hair colour or facial feature in a derogatory way is hopelessly old-fashioned. Everyone should be proud of their cultural inheritance, and 'beauty' articles should encourage this. It will still sell plenty of products, just minus all the self loathing.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I mean this seems really crass. It’s like a desperate, “I’m still here and having a laugh, guys!!”

7C4CBE77-2C59-4231-B18C-BF936D70AF2F.jpeg

‘Zany’ twit.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 4
She'll maybe try that trusted tack of go quiet for a bit, ignore it when you return, and if anyone mentions it again accuse them of being a bully and a troll whose opinion can be dismissed.
you won. I think that’s exactly the script today, stand by for the bully/troll accusations

The mousy brown comment from FF has really riled me. It's a horrible term for light brown hair, light brown hair can be beautiful, especially as natural hair colour usually suits skin tone, etc. Sure if people want to go blonde or whatever colour, that's their choice, but this idea that they must change their "mousy brown" hair is patriarchal and outdated. But I've come to realise that beauty editors and journalists still follow outdated patriarchal ideas so it shouldn't come as a surprise
V surprised that a woman whose credibility is based on being a POC makeup journo reinforces the idea of idolising blonde hair over embracing one's natural hair. 'Mousy brown' is flattering on most caucasian people, its a soft cool brown that doesn't wash people out.

Reactions: 7
V surprised that a woman whose credibility is based on being a POC makeup journo reinforces the idea of idolising blonde hair over embracing one's natural hair. 'Mousy brown' is flattering on most caucasian people, its a soft cool brown that doesn't wash people out.
I know, it has pissed me off beyond belief. I'd look like ten shades of tit with blonde hair. But it just proves that the beauty industry is not there to help people, it's there to make people think they've problems that need fixing

I think FF’s column is appalling, but why do you say her “credibility is based on being a POC makeup journo”?

THIS!!!!!
Yes absolutely. Always about disguising our natural foul selves. Wrinkles, grey hair, mousey hair, skin that isn't glowy. Create a paranoia around something entirely normal and provide something for us to buy to conform.
Tweakments, smidges, ring lights, filters etc all add to the illusion that the normal face really is not normal. Cynical as duck.

• Heart
I think FF’s column is appalling, but why do you say her “credibility is based on being a POC makeup journo”?
She just seems to have positioned herself as being the go-to woc beauty contributor writing the 'beauty bible' for woc, or maybe that was just Sali's intro to her on that weird Avon podcast. I dont quite buy into her writing the 'first of its kind' book as Edward Enninful claims, but she has a remarkable network from galdem to the telegraph.

She just seems to have positioned herself as being the go-to woc beauty contributor writing the 'beauty bible' for woc, or maybe that was just Sali's intro to her on that weird Avon podcast. I dont quite buy into her writing the 'first of its kind' book as Edward Enninful claims, but she has a remarkable network from galdem to the telegraph.
Ah, thanks. I hadn’t seen her book or SH’s podcast with her. Not surprised that she’s from Vogue - she’s all about the high-end press-release.

Reactions: 1
"an influential voice in the conversation around inclusivity"... not really though, if FF's calling out anyone cultural heritage as a something disgusting to be changed at once.

It's like SH 'championing inclusivity' by pointing out for all of two seconds that a foundation only has caucasian shades, doing that funny breathing thing (the combi inhale-and-swallow) before moving smoothly on to spend the rest of a ten minute video championing the product's benefits, finish etc. Her followers are going to be mainly white women because that's who she addresses, so they aren't going to care because it works for them.

We're really setting the bar low for the importance of inclusivity if those limp efforts are all that either of them can muster.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’ve been witness to some top class luvvie-dom from the Twitterati today.

OK, picture the scene - Martina Hyde tweets about the time some Fathers 4 Justice “activists” gatecrashed the BBC Lottery show one Saturday night (what a sentence 🤣) and Eamonn Holmes - for he is being roasted on Twitter a lot these past few days - hid behind the diminutive Sarah Cawood.

Who should rapidly pop up to gush about how lovely Sarah Cawood is? Sali.

Who popped up twenty minutes later to also gush about the loveliness of Sarah Cawood? Lauren Laverne.

Both go about it in a really irritating/pretentious way. “Cawood is good people” (vomit) “Sarah also a mensch” (is there not something really cringey about non-Jews using Yiddish words to describe other non-Jews, or am I being exceptionally picky tonight?).

Anyway, I’m sure Sarah Cawood is delightful but the luvvie-ness was too much for me.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

OK, picture the scene - Martina Hyde tweets about the time some Fathers 4 Justice “activists” gatecrashed the BBC Lottery show one Saturday night (what a sentence 🤣) and Eamonn Holmes - for he is being roasted on Twitter a lot these past few days - hid behind the diminutive Sarah Cawood.

Who popped up twenty minutes later to also gush about the loveliness of Sarah Cawood? Lauren Laverne.

Both go about it in a really irritating/pretentious way. “Cawood is good people” (vomit) “Sarah also a mensch” (is there not something really cringey about non-Jews using Yiddish words to describe other non-Jews, or am I being exceptionally picky tonight?).

Anyway, I’m sure Sarah Cawood is delightful but the luvvie-ness was too much for me.
Oh god, yeah, so much this! SH uses mensch all the time since she met her husband (he’s Jewish) It makes my insides turn over.

Sarah Cawood is indeed, very nice, but “Cawood is good people” is a cringey way to put it.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
It was Lauren who used the mensch term, there is just something so insincere about Lauren Laverne. The whole Twitter luvvie exchange just looked so insincere and fake.

Can confirm Sarah is an absolute delight (worked with her).

These women, not so much.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.