Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think about this all the time. In print media, at least, overconfident mediocrity abounds. All the more evident without the fine-tuning of a dedicated subs bench

A had to google the Mirror and the Light. Maybe it's a Brit thing?
It's the new Hilary Mantel novel. She's probably more of a big thing over here in the UK - one of those rare properly famous writers.

I suspect CM and SH grew up in "genteel poverty" - well connected, possibly upper class parents who nonetheless weren't very well off.

SH had talked about this I'm sure - doesn't she mention hanging out with Leigh Bowery when she was younger?

Reactions: 3
Her story (and SH's) don't add up to me. I'd put money on there being connections which put them in a privileged position when very young, because neither of them are particularly talented.
With both, I think that what makes up the talent deficit is the most extraordinary degree of self-belief - that they are right, that they have a unique/quirky take on things and something to say that the nation will want to hear.

Reactions: 11
Just catching up... so funny. The whole Caitlin thing has really blown up hasn’t jt? What a massive nob heady thing to do. The shining beacon of light must be very dim right now. I agree about the light in the leopard print tight picture - it makes her skin look very different than when she’s got the whole lighting set up on. That being said I can go in different rooms in the house and my make up looks so different.

Reactions: 1
I'm sure most of them buggered off to their holiday homes. I bet all of the Times and Guardian Sali club are off somewhere.

Reactions: 2
Yes Sali with her Miss Dior perfume at age 11 and Chanel No 5 at 13 speaks volumes.
Ha, yes! I always found it odd that she ran off to London at 15 and her parents didn't get the police to bring her back? It suggests they were (kind of) happy with it. The whole episode is strange.

Reactions: 6
Yes Sali with her Miss Dior perfume at age 11 and Chanel No 5 at 13 speaks volumes.

But what about her Oliver Twist childhood? Dior at 11? Really? I was lucky if I got a spray of my Mum’s Avon Odyssey

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Ha, yes! I always found it odd that she ran off to London at 15 and her parents didn't get the police to bring her back? It suggests they were (kind of) happy with it. The whole episode is strange.
I believe she has/had a very difficult relationship with her Mum, and that her parents were divorced. Can't confirm any of that (obviously that sort of stuff is very personal) but I think she's written about it in the past.

Reading between the lines, it may have been quite a dysfunctional upbringing - no shame there cos its not exactly unusual - but who knows.

At this rate Funmi will have a tattle thread of her own by the end of this recession

Nothing given between [anxiety] 'coping method' and the laziness of 'cant be bothered'. Those are the two binary options for women in a pandemic, still no high street token item for the broken people
Well today's column is even worse.

I mean, the "ony my radar" bit is just copied from press releases, right?
And don't get me started on the lashes.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
"The skinny and bleached brows? Ignore. They rarely translate in real life."

And the lashes do?!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Well today's column is even worse.

I mean, the "ony my radar" bit is just copied from press releases, right?
And don't get me started on the lashes.
So she is another one in slavish thrall to hairdressers - advising people not to colour your hair at home. Hairdressers must be so grateful to her and Sali at the moment. And seriously who is going to have a video conference about their bloody hair? Tokenism.

A good colourist understands the science, nuances and technicalities of colour. They do magical things like creating a colour so believable the world would swear you’re naturally a glossy blonde when, in fact, you were born mousy brown. It’s near impossible to achieve this at home (sorry)

What's wrong with "mousy brown"? F*ck off, Fenmi

• Haha
Reactions: 9
What's wrong with "mousy brown"? F*ck off, Fenmi
And "gasp, transition to grey". Why 'gasp' FF? What's wrong with getting older?

When 1000 people a day are dying prematurely and we're not even yet at the coronavirus peak, we can only hope we will all live to be old and grey...

Funmi, love, if you (or any other beauty journalist) can't appreciate times have changed, you're a bleeping stupid dummy. duck off.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Since the reveal, Caitlin has RT’d stuff twice, but not addressed her apparent ‘blip’ with government guidelines. Bizarre.

Reactions: 4
Since the reveal, Caitlin has RT’d stuff twice, but not addressed her apparent ‘blip’ with government guidelines. Bizarre.
She replied to Lucy Mangan about something and then people started replying to that, so she deleted it

• Haha
Reactions: 6
4B9906D9-7B99-4468-BF0C-C58310E75D99.jpeg
I think this sums up the tumbleweeds from the gang, there is simply not a single way they can explain their way out of this so they’re just staying quiet.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.