Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Baroo11 - agree about HCA & low wages, but how can BB best target those people & ensure they get the supplies? I’m not sure it can. I’d assume it would just be a consignment of stuff dropped off at a hospital & then a case of whoever is there at the time getting the products. And it is a detour from the stated charitable objects of the cause.

Reactions: 3
NHS staff don’t need spendy hand creams or posh bubble bath. They need more staff and the correct PPE. I know some may think I’m cynical but I see this SH’s jumping on the band wagon and a way to bolster her image.

Reactions: 16
Agree with you all re: BB. NHS staff don’t need Kiehl’s hand cream and I and my colleagues would prefer their efforts were spent providing essential items to people in need.

I work in mental health and there are so many very vulnerable people with significant mental health problems who are very isolated and struggling to get basic provisions. The voluntary services that may have supported them with shopping etc in many cases have had to withdraw. It’s a tit show.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Coming out of lurkdom to say:

Sali’s latest Instagram post included a shot of her wearing sunglasses. I wonder if this will be the de facto for her selfies from now on as the “weak dilute” wears off and can’t be topped up during the COVID-19 crisis?!

• Haha
Reactions: 23

Sali’s latest Instagram post included a shot of her wearing sunglasses. I wonder if this will be the de facto for her selfies from now on as the “weak dilute” wears off and can’t be topped up during the COVID-19 crisis?!
OMG, the "weak dilute" 😂 How often are those things supposed to be topped up?

Does Lauren live with Sali? just asking because they seem to both be with the dog , hope they’re not breaking the rules about meeting up.

I work in mental health and there are so many very vulnerable people with significant mental health problems who are very isolated and struggling to get basic provisions. The voluntary services that may have supported them with shopping etc in many cases have had to withdraw. It’s a tit show.
It must be horrendous, Baroo.

Just in case you’re not already aware of it, this network of volunteers seems to be working really well in many areas:

Ours has linked up with the council, Mind, AgeUK and other groups to try to ensure people are not left without help.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
You are so right. It feels like any querying of BB is a criticism of the NHS, which is most certainly not my intention or I'm sure anyone else's. I just don't see the connection between 'treats' for the NHS staff (lovely as that is) and basics for people in dire poverty. The request on March 14th was for people in hygiene poverty (it did mention donations to NHS trusts in the long list). It seems mean and splitting hairs to query this - but most charities have very clear aims and objectives - as much as they would like to help everyone.
Agree, something about Nadine Baggott's explanation, that BB was for people in hygiene poverty, but "more importantly" it's about helping those that work in the NHS came off a bit questionable, same with the "treat" aspect. Firstly, it's not just NHS workers who are on the frontline here, and secondly, this goes very much against the goals of BB when they should be using their resources to focus on the increasing demand for hygiene products by third sector service users. People may not be able to afford to donate or access donation points like before, and there could be an increase on demand on services. As others have said, it does seem a bit band wagon, and this is in no way criticism of the NHS.

Also, they aren't going into their own pockets to donate, the stuff would otherwise be pr that would languish in boxes, if anything it highlights the amount of waste in the beauty industry, and how removed bloggers/influencers are of the true cost to the consumer, when they can just grab handfuls of products totaling up to hundreds without any second thought to what that means in financial terms.

Reactions: 2
It is interesting that brands are purely focusing on NHS staff with their discounts and freebies and not other key workers. Is it because it's something the public are more likely to praise them for and therefore give them better PR? I think the NHS are amazing and deserve all the recognition, but it is sad to see other key workers rarely mentioned through the corona crisis. I know a lot of people still having to work in the supermarkets, post office, construction, plumbing etc who are not getting any benefits, recognition, or most importantly any extra protection from the virus.

Reactions: 16

This is exactly what I thought when I saw her 😀.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
It must be horrendous, Baroo.

Just in case you’re not already aware of it, this network of volunteers seems to be working really well in many areas:

Ours has linked up with the council, Mind, AgeUK and other groups to try to ensure people are not left without help.
I’m part of our local group and it’s amazing. Also the Red across Community volunteers group but yet to be summoned!

• Heart
It took 20 years in the beauty industry for her to realise that? So for the last 20 years she has was on the fence about being offended and annoyed by what other people wear?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It’s also known that some beauty companies are using the production of essentials (soap, hand sanitiser etc) as a reason to keep all production going. I hope charities giving out “me time” treats as well as the basics aren’t contributing / fuelling demand or providing justification for this behaviour.

Attachments

• Angry
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.