Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you for this group. I wouldn’t have come here unless for the video. And it’s truly been eye opening.... I bought Nars Orgasm blush (and still do) because Sali said it was the best blusher. I learnt how to do winged eye liner and a “red lip”because Sali said it was a good look. I bought Clinique Black Honey because she said it was the best. I never used eye cream because she said it wasn’t necessary. At the time, I believed she was looking out for me and trying to make me look my best in the name of “feminism”. Now I know, I was being sold products that I could hardly afford. I feel ashamed that I fell for it. And Sali, fair enough, you’re trying to make an earning, but be honest.Not pretty honest, but totally honest.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
Now I know, I was being sold products that I could hardly afford. I feel ashamed that I fell for it.
This is the thing that really bloody upsets me. The fact that most of us here looked up to her, and were let down.
We aren't a load of garbage women who want her to lose her job, we are a load of women who have been exploited by her. And the fact that we feel ashamed while she is bloody lying about us, stalking our social media and "joking" with her mate about them setting their violent boyfriend on us is really sickening.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
'Anonymity is their oxygen'. So says 'feebee79', wearing a big hat and glasses in her profile picture.

Yeah. Ok, love. Your oxygen is self-righteousness. We get it.

We all have personal blindspots, but tattle is about calling out people who have a commercial relationship with us as there is nowhere else to do so. We sit in our own homes, as some woman with a ringlight and a face of free botox and fillers lectures us on self-care as an empowering choice which involves buying £90 moisturisers. We let these women directly into our lives. Would we do it if we had to open the door and make her a cup of tea? When this was what was involved, disreputable sellers were called out - timeshare holiday apartments, no deposit real estate investments, fitted kitchens and double glazing. And these people never pretended to be your friend! Now, salespeople are your best mate. They turn up regularly with something new, they engage with you when you're lonely, and perhaps you can buy a little bit of what makes them so cool, and people will like you too (or at least you will have obliterated the most egregious parts of your physicality - fat, spots, wrinkles. Don't think you are acceptable as a human being without buying something. It's just not possible).

SH previously had a sensibly down-to-earth attitude to beauty - don't buy too many products, don't overspend, eye cream is rubbish, 'dehydrated' is generally what skin needs, and I will rummage through the piles of free stuff I get sent to bring you what I think are the best within those parameters.
That is no longer the case. Now, she gets paid to pull things out of that pile, and that payment is overriding her original attitude, hence the eye-cream screeching u-turn.

The whole 'I have authority' aspect of the beauty is bullshit. There is no scientifically optimum product - it's not like finding the cure for cancer. The only thing that gives her any authority is that she looks better than you.

How does she achieve that? She has botox and fillers (and if she does those, she'll be using lasers too), and hair extensions and professional blowdries, and ringlights and lash extensions. None of which are what she is selling. Why? Because there are strict rules on how medical treatments like botox can be marketed, which influencers cannot comply with. That is why they can only sell creams - whicSo well said. h do nothing, because otherwise they do would be classed as drugs and therefore subject to the same medical marketing restrictions.

And if we point this out? We are jealous trolls. FFS.
So well said.

Reactions: 3
Those Vampire’s Wife dresses are so utterly minging.

She says that we are talking about someone's weight (she loves repeatedly getting that dig in to her employee)
Hah, so true. Dripping poison in Lauren’s ear. “Remember that time everybody called you fat? No? I have many screenshots, hang on... Remember now? Fat, they said. You. Everybody.”

This is the thing that really bloody upsets me. The fact that most of us here looked up to her, and were let down.
We aren't a load of garbage women who want her to lose her job, we are a load of women who have been exploited by her. And the fact that we feel ashamed while she is bloody lying about us, stalking our social media and "joking" with her mate about them setting their violent boyfriend on us is really sickening.
And this is the one thing she has never, never addressed. It’s the WHOLE POINT of all of this. She won’t address it because if she does (and does it honestly), everything will unravel for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
They both look terrible, and I say that as somebody who usually quite likes Kate Middleton’s clothes (I KNOW 😀).

Reactions: 2
The dresses look exactly the same. Kate has often worn short dresses and the papers have managed to contain themselves.
Those dresses aren't for me either generally - they all look exactly the same but with different material. Not Kate's best look and I think she usually gets it spot on. I think SH suits her for a wedding dress, looks very nice.
Someone the shiny material doesn't do much for Kate imo.

Ok only since Sali brought it up, here's the bit about the PE teacher. (All PE teachers, look away now). There's a bit to unpack here. Mainly... it was only in your teens and twenties that you felt wounded that people didn't like you? Hmmm...

“Not everyone will like you”
By the time you reach your forties, all being well you will know this. But it should be taught much, much sooner. I spent my teens and twenties feeling wounded when people seemed not to like me which, if you think about it, is extraordinarily self-obsessed and entitled, not to mention a huge waste of a fine time. It’s an unavoidable truth that no one but Julie Walters is liked by everyone, and not being liked is not a sign of a bad person. My eldest son recently came home very upset because his PE teacher appears not to like him. I pointed out that while this may be true, it doesn’t in any way alter who my son is. Likewise, it’s OK to not like the PE teacher right back. They just have to get through their mutual dislike in the most respectful and tolerant way possible. Adults have to get along with people they can’t stand almost every week of their lives. PE teachers – the most broadly disagreeable people of all – are as good a place as any to start learning how.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
The dresses look exactly the same. Kate has often worn short dresses and the papers have managed to contain themselves.
Those dresses aren't for me either generally - they all look exactly the same but with different material. Not Kate's best look and I think she usually gets it spot on. I think SH suits her for a wedding dress, looks very nice.
Someone the shiny material doesn't do much for Kate imo.
I quite like the dresses but no way do they look anywhere near their price. And I'm kind of irked by Kate wearing green just because she's in Ireland. So twee

Reactions: 7
I quite like the dresses but no way do they look anywhere near their price. And I'm kind of irked by Kate wearing green just because she's in Ireland. So twee
Ikr! Would Kate wear only orange if she was going to the Netherlands? Arent the Irish editors bored of another photo of her in a green frock coat pretending to like Guinness.

Lol Sali couldn't have just admitted her mistake to Lucy Manghan about her height difference to Kate. Much safer to blame it on the tabloids instead.
(Her wedding kinda looked like she had just come in from the rain)

Ok only since Sali brought it up, here's the bit about the PE teacher. (All PE teachers, look away now). There's a bit to unpack here. Mainly... it was only in your teens and twenties that you felt wounded that people didn't like you? Hmmm...

“Not everyone will like you”
By the time you reach your forties, all being well you will know this. But it should be taught much, much sooner. I spent my teens and twenties feeling wounded when people seemed not to like me which, if you think about it, is extraordinarily self-obsessed and entitled, not to mention a huge waste of a fine time. It’s an unavoidable truth that no one but Julie Walters is liked by everyone, and not being liked is not a sign of a bad person. My eldest son recently came home very upset because his PE teacher appears not to like him. I pointed out that while this may be true, it doesn’t in any way alter who my son is. Likewise, it’s OK to not like the PE teacher right back. They just have to get through their mutual dislike in the most respectful and tolerant way possible. Adults have to get along with people they can’t stand almost every week of their lives. PE teachers – the most broadly disagreeable people of all – are as good a place as any to start learning how.
Oh lord - I'm sure this was intended as light hearted but why write about her child's identifiable teacher (by the teacher and their colleagues anyway) in a public article? Could she not have used an example about herself? Oh dear.

Oh lord - I'm sure this was intended as light hearted but why write about her child's identifiable teacher (by the teacher and their colleagues anyway) in a public article? Could she not have used an example about herself? Oh dear.
And the teacher has no right to reply, as it would be horribly unprofessional to comment on a student.
There was no need to specify that the person her son was upset about was a teacher, let alone identify them. The article would have been just the same if she'd said her son was upset someone at school didn't seem to like him.
It just comes across to me as Sali being bitchy and taking a very public swipe at someone. Using her huge platform for a nasty dig.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
my goodness, what if the child’s actual teacher had accidentally Googled upon that? Unlike the fictitious teachers who might stumble upon Tattle while searching something completely unrelated to Sali.

Well I'm glad I'm not a Teacher of Children. Expected to be a paragon of virtue, tripping gaily into school distributing and exuding kindness all while publicly labelled as 'broadly disagreeable'.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
There is similar sneakiness in her book about beauty editors.

In the intro she refers to glossy magazines and their often excellent beauty editors. An absolutely unnecessary word except to slyly indicate she thinks some of them are not up to her standards.

Then in the back she name checks Kate Shapland, Alessandra Steinherr, Jo Fairley, Sarah Stacey, Nicola Moulton, Annabel Meggeson, Jan Masters. And then says “amongst several other great beauty editors too numerous to mention.”

Because you don’t have the time? Or the space? In your own book? How many beauty editors (let alone great ones) can there possibly be in the U.K.?!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think she personally looked nice, but I hated the dresses on her (and on everybody else who’s worn them).
I do think SH looked lovely but like you am not a fan of the dresses. I think the material looks scratchy and can't see the point of the ubiquitous giant odd frill round the hem.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.