Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Trying to protect the vulnerable in society from carelessness isn’t grappling for righteousness by any metric.

Reactions: 12
It's my birthday at the weekend and instead of going out for a nice meal I'll be in my 12 weeks social distancing seeing as I'm asthmatic. The lovely tapas place round the corner has started doing take away though so hopefully we'll be able to do that and have a nice meal at home. There are loads of ways she could have helped the bsuiness instead of going out.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Trying to protect the vulnerable in society from carelessness isn’t grappling for righteousness by any metric.
Exactly. And though Sali's visit was probably perfectly safe for all involved, she has promoted the idea that visiting restaurants/pubs is the decent thing to do to help a struggling business. Even if a handful of her many thousands of followers copy her surely she can see that this was ill judged?
Calling someone 'mental and tragic' for being worried by her actions isn't helping.

Reactions: 13
She knows she screwed up there, if she had been feeling totally in the right she wouldn't have removed her post/stills/whatever to was. Zero good grace, she could have smoothed over it by agreeing it was tone deaf or misguided. Not our Sal though, all guns blazing, trolls trolls trolls.

Oh to be right all the time.

Reactions: 14
Calling someone 'mental and tragic' for being worried by her actions isn't helping.
I don't like the way she keeps throwing the word 'mental' around. That and 'having a nervo', which was often dropped into conversation by posters on SHB.
Mental health isn't something to make fun of.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
Aaiieee, the restaurant thing. How tone deaf can you be? Jeezo.

One of my pals has her own small business and she's closed it down for the time being, losing at least £700 worth of income in the process. May not be a lot to some but for her it's a small fortune. There'll be plenty of others in this situation too.

I really feel for folk in the hospitality industry as well (high stress, low pay). It's not the greatest place to work at the best of times tbh and they must be under unimaginable stress right now.

Also have close family in the NHS - god what a nightmare this is turning out to be. Sorry for rambling and going o/t.

Reactions: 6
Crikey, she just can't ever be wrong can she?! What would it have taken to preface her explanation with a little sorry, or yeah, maybe I shouldn't have shared that.

Also agree with the above - her use of mental and nervo are really not on. I have lost close family due to the reality of these things and it hurts seeing her use them so flippantly.

Also agree with the above - her use of mental and nervo are really not on. I have lost close family due to the reality of these things and it hurts seeing her use them so flippantly.
I had a close family member attempt suicide a couple of years ago. Fortunately their attempt was unsuccessful and they got the help they needed afterwards and are in a much better place now, but hearing people drop words like 'mental' and 'nervo' into conversation like it's nothing both upsets and angers me.

• Sad
I had a close family member attempt suicide a couple of years ago.
I'm sorry, me too. It has a massive impact and is just so upsetting for everyone involved. If that lot must use such words they could at least have the decency to keep it between themselves.

Reactions: 8
Warning Sali, I'm going to talk about your children.

Your children, while still at school, may well be carrying the virus unknowingly and passing it on to you, or anyone you or they come into contact with. I hope they are not, I hope that neither they not anyone you know or love catches it but for duck sake, it's time for YOU to own your behaviour.

Supporting a small business could be putting lives at risk. In the grand scheme of things your meal for 4 will not make a difference to that pub, but your promotion of not follwing government advice might just encourage others to do similar and put more people at risk.

The government advice isn't for you to pick and choose how you follow it. You follow it if you can. If you don't then you, you as an individual, Sali Hughes, are putting people's lives at risk.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I had a close family member attempt suicide a couple of years ago. Fortunately their attempt was unsuccessful and they got the help they needed afterwards and are in a much better place now, but hearing people drop words like 'mental' and 'nervo' into conversation like it's nothing both upsets and angers me.
Agreed. It's so old-fashioned, like calling someone 'gay', or your rascist nana talking about 'Them [insert derogatory name for any race]'.

There is nothing wrong with having mental health issues (most will at some point), and so no need for such words to be used as terms of abuse.

But obvs it's easier to label someone 'mental' than appreciate that they don't think like you, but that is what it is to put yourself in the world. It shows the bubble she lives in.

In the grand scheme of things your meal for 4 will not make a difference to that pub, but your promotion of not follwing government advice might just encourage others to do similar and put more people at risk.
👏👏👏 You hit the nail on the head. I'd put money on her thought process being along the lines of 'I can help these poor people by buying four burgers from them, which will at least pay for one member of staff on the minimum wage, and if I post it, maybe my followers will follow my shining example and also go out and help, and all that help will be due to me, SH, being so amazing, again.'

Reactions: 18
Warning Sali, I'm going to talk about your children.

Your children, while still at school, may well be carrying the virus unknowingly and passing it on to you, or anyone you or they come into contact with. I hope they are not, I hope that neither they not anyone you know or love catches it but for duck sake, it's time for YOU to own your behaviour.

Supporting a small business could be putting lives at risk. In the grand scheme of things your meal for 4 will not make a difference to that pub, but your promotion of not follwing government advice might just encourage others to do similar and put more people at risk.

The government advice isn't for you to pick and choose how you follow it. You follow it if you can. If you don't then you, you as an individual, Sali Hughes, are putting people's lives at risk.
Yes her defence seemed to be well the children are at school so they can't self isolate as a family anyway so they may as well go out for a meal. But if the school closes they will self isolate.
But it is all about containment. Children go to school then go home. There is a level of containment there (whether you agree with govnmt policy on this that is what they have advised). I don't understand why she is so defensive about this?

On a different note influencers generally are going to have to stop getting free stuff aren't they? Either products or services. They can't in any good conscience accept freebies when the providers of them must be struggling to some extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Like the majority of influencers, she types before she thinks, contradicts herself and sounds like an hole in the process. I'm not in the UK, but in the EU, so my take on this is different (mouth agape from the mere thought that someone would tweet about going out to dinner), but we won't elaborate more, otherwise it will be way off topic and will serve no purpose.
The point is to #bekind in real life, FFS, and now being kind means being really careful and thinking about others, however inconvenient it is. Listen to the advice of your health department or epidemiologist, sorry to be vulgar, but influencers can go duck themselves now, well any time really, but especially now. The majority of them don't leave the house anyway, but take selfies and troll the unsuspected public.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
In typical Sali fashion she agrees with the official advice, thinks everyone should adhere to it, but she is the exception. Always the exception. Ditto ASA guidelines. And she can’t fathom how everyone doesn’t understand that she is always a special case.

Even worse she’s tried to spin it so it looks like she was doing the venue (as if it matters whether it’s a pub or restaurant ffs) a favour. No, doing the venue a favour is ordering takeaway, buying a voucher for a meal when it’s safe to do so, and/or even leaving a bundle of gifted products for the minimum wage employees might be a kind gesture, considering it would cost her zip.

By now everyone should know that it almost certain people are contagious before they show symptoms.

It’s extraordinary times, no one knows what the cinnamon toast duck is going on but when we are all asked to stay away from public venues including pubs, restaurants, theatres where possible - THAT INCLUDES YOU SALI.

In other news I have read 4711 Cologne is 80% alcohol so can be used a hand sanitiser if necessary (I think - let me know if anyone believes otherwise). Just probably quite drying. Also 4160 Tuesday have produced a load of hand sanitiser - see their Instagram for details.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
In other news I have read 4711 Cologne is 80% alcohol so can be used a hand sanitiser if necessary (I think - let me know if anyone believes otherwise).
I jumped and grabbed my bottle, but it doesn't say the percentage, maybe on the box? I have the mandarin and cardamon scent, it's lovely for summer, but I have no idea if it's just a weak dilute of alcohol. Better to be safe than use any weak dilutes. :whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I jumped and grabbed my bottle, but it doesn't say the percentage, maybe on the box? I have the mandarin and cardamon scent, it's lovely for summer, but I have no idea if it's just a weak dilute of alcohol. Better to be safe than use any weak dilutes. :whistle:
Lol, weak dilute. The gift that keeps on giving.

Nothing on the bottle but I found it on a few websites. Also general info on how colognes are made up (as opposed to EDP, EDT etc) suggests 80-85%.

I did also read if the alcohol percentage is too high it’s less effective as it evaporates before it can kill the virus cells. But that seems to be 95% and up, again from some google searches so taking it with a pinch of salt.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
How is that even the same person, I know we all had the eye surgery debate many threads ago but her eyes are like that of a completely different person now. I call bullshit on the no surgery when you see these pictures. If not surgery then some sort of treatment, hooded eyes don't just disappear.
Yes! (I’ve thought this for donkeys) 😆

Reactions: 5
Going back to the pub restaurant thing (like a dog returning to its' vomit) what would she have done if other people had come into the premises - say a large party? Her argument seemed to hinge on the fact it was empty so therefore OK. What a massive leap of faith that it would remain so.

Reactions: 9
Curious as to why she didn't plaster the post with her usual pass-agg "I PAID" :unsure::unsure:
Would she really let them comp the meal in order to "support" the business on social media?

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.