Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s all part of her “geeking out” persona.

Honestly, attaching bits of plastic label to plastic bottles... I might be losing my mind here.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I love seeing peoples travel cosmetics, but that column had neither joy nor any original tips. Im always cramming into the plastic pouch (nice spf for face, cheap spf for neck/body, various hair gunk for curly hair to wash or just to restyle). Would love to hear of peoples shortcuts and any recommendations for solid toothpaste / conditioner.

A more eco edit would just be saving past mini bottles and using a dash of nail varnish to colour code - but that way we cant "invest" in more plastic bottles and gadgetry.

(Tiger have those squishy tubes so they can be easier more into the plastic bag.)

Any recommendations for airport approved wash bags? I was eyeing up the spacenk one...
I have the Space NK one and it’s really good.

Any recommendations for airport approved wash bags? I was eyeing up the spacenk one...
Do you mean for hand luggage or checked in bag? If hand luggage then none, depending on the airport I would just stick to the airport approved plastic bag. Not worth the hassle, some airports are really strict and will only allow plastic bag, others might allow wash bags but I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: 3
This made me feel a bit sorry for her (despite her utter rudeness with the ‘indolent’ comment and the scathing remarks about ‘Teachers Of Children’). The ‘much needed’ holiday, the food photos, the T-shirt???!! She just comes across as a bit sad and lost and completely removed from real life. What is she trying to prove?

Reactions: 3
Oh my, I cannot get over the indolent comment. I hadn’t read the column until this morning and I am SHOOK... it’s so rude, dismissive and condescending.
Wow. Just wow.

Reactions: 7
A good Sunday read from Jessica DeFino

“Everyone’s all about de-stigmatising dermal fillers and Botox, that’s fine. I want to de-stigmatise wrinkles and ageing and sagging normal faces. I think it stems from sometimes feeling less beautiful or less worthy than those that do get these treatments and I wonder where the cycle stops. If we continue down this path, how will it affect future generations? I’m interested in exploring that more than I’m interested in assuaging my own appearance anxiety with injectables”

https://fashionista.com/.amp/2019/07/injectables-fillers-self-care

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That's a REALLY good read with a lot of food for thought. Thanks!

(And here's me mulling over dyeing my first greys...I feel like I should, cause I feel to young for grey hair but at the same time I've never coloured my hair and I just can't be arsed. And I like grey hair. On others. Argh- I'm shallow I guess.)

• Haha
A good Sunday read from Jessica DeFino

“Everyone’s all about de-stigmatising dermal fillers and Botox, that’s fine. I want to de-stigmatise wrinkles and ageing and sagging normal faces. I think it stems from sometimes feeling less beautiful or less worthy than those that do get these treatments and I wonder where the cycle stops. If we continue down this path, how will it affect future generations? I’m interested in exploring that more than I’m interested in assuaging my own appearance anxiety with injectables”

https://fashionista.com/.amp/2019/07/injectables-fillers-self-care
Very good. Thank you. I flip flop so much over women and tweakments. Of course it is their right and I (hope) I am not judgemental about personal choice's but at the same time there is so very sad about women offering up perfectly healthy lovely faces for injections and dubious substances being filled into them because they don't look 19 any more. I wonder in future times if this will be looked back on with horror and derision rather like Elizabethan women shaving their hairline, painting their faces with lead, and sticking on mouse skin for eyebrows (which tbh sounds a bit of a laugh 🐭).

I'm not always a fan of Caitlin Moran but she writes a huge amount of sense about this (I quoted it before here). Here she talks about the myth of 'subtle' treatments being as insidious, if not more so, than the wind tunnel look.

'there are some women...who've had the expensive, subtle kind of interventions. They just look kind of young, fresh, and sparkly. Surely the subtle interventions are OK? You're not trying to look 27 again. You're just trying to look like an amazing 52. But the thing is they're not subtle. We're still noticing it. We're all commenting on the 'good' intervention, just as much as we would if it were 'bad'. We still notice that Time appears to have swerved off to the right when it approached them and left their faces unmarked. An unsettling, fundamental re-routing of perception. That only - only - only women are having to conspire in. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'SUBTLY' LOKING DRAMATICALLY AND ILLOGICALLY MUCH, MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE' {{{her capitals}}}.

She then goes on to say how of course you can alter your appearance as long as it is joyful and fun and creative eg through hair, clothing, makeup etc then:

But women living in fear of aging, and pulling painful and expensive tracks to hide it from the world, does not say something amazing about us as human beings. It makes us look as though we were made to do it, by big boys. It makes us look like losers. It makes us look like cowards. And that's the last thing we are'.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Caitlin Moran telling anybody they’re a coward for wishing to take control of their physical appearance galls me. We’ve been conditioned in a patriarchal society, yes. If a woman feels better about having her boobs done, dying her hair, having injectables, I can’t judge her. So many women’s lives are affected by crushing insecurities we mostly know nothing about, looking from the outside. Are we to make them feel even worse for seizing the reigns and conquering these by any means open to them?

I’m not sweepingly coming down on one side of the fence or the other - I just think taking a militant stance on one extreme of the other is missing the point. Sure, ideally we’d embrace our (perceived) flaws, but ideally we’d never have evolved in a society which equates a woman’s worth with her physical appearance 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think she was commenting, not on women being very insecure about about something and getting it fixed which of course is their right, but the pressure to treat normal aging as something to be fixed with interventions.

Reactions: 5
I think she was commenting, not on women being very insecure about about something and getting it fixed which of course is their right, but the pressure to treat normal aging as something to be fixed with interventions.
Oh I get that, but it’s her tone I’m taking issue with. Very similar to the absolutes in which SH speaks. Was more responding to her quote than your use, and I do agree, we should be fine with it and embrace it, but when her besties are all sneaking off for a weak dilute and £700 dye job, it just reeks of double standards

I wonder if she ever says anything to her friends about it? :unsure:
I wonder that, you know. Quite often a lot of their sweeping statements catch a broad array of their comrades? Is there a lot of scurrying “oh NOT you thoughs” behind the scenes? Or is the judgey ray of death only pointed downward 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.