Sali Hughes #12 This is not a thread. It is not paid for, not sponsored, nor required by Sali

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else find it hard to believe SH sat there and said nothing whilst the makeup artist applied the warm browns and pink lipgloss? If she is unable to speak up about what look she favours, the result would have been the same for whoever did her makeup. I think it was just an opportunity to get a potshot at the "celebrity makeup artist"

Reactions: 14
Anyone else find it hard to believe SH sat there and said nothing whilst the makeup artist applied the warm browns and pink lipgloss? If she is unable to speak up about what look she favours, the result would have been the same for whoever did her makeup. I think it was just an opportunity to get a potshot at the "celebrity makeup artist"
in other words

"This story is based on actual events. In certain cases incidents, characters and timelines have been changed for dramatic purposes. Certain characters may be composites, or entirely fictitious." ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone would pay top dollar for a well known make up artist to do their wedding make up and then not tell them how they want to look. Are they supposed to magically intuit your preferences?

Even when I've had my make up done in stores they ask you what kind of look you want to go for!

Reactions: 8
This from the book

“Glossy magazines, although I adore them more than most, and their often excellent beauty editors, simply cannot be wholly honest with you about beauty. They are at the mercy of major beauty advertisers, relying on them to keep them in business.”

By that logic....?
It hasn’t aged at all well, has it 😀?

Re the makeup artist, if Sali’s ego had allowed her to leave out the “celebrity” bit, nobody would give a tit, but she HAD to make sure we all knew is wasn’t any old MUA.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She's the M&S adverts of crass, not only beauty, journalists. Not just any journalist.

This from the book

“Glossy magazines, although I adore them more than most, and their often excellent beauty editors, simply cannot be wholly honest with you about beauty. They are at the mercy of major beauty advertisers, relying on them to keep them in business.”

By that logic....?
Classic

Reactions: 1
It’s ‘the more than most’ that gets me. Sorry, but that’s just annoying. I love a glossy mag (don’t buy them anymore tho).

It’s ‘the more than most’ that gets me. Sorry, but that’s just annoying. I love a glossy mag (don’t buy them anymore tho).
Following thought is that it’s kind of fiction writing and not research so maybe okay. I do a lot of proof reading and would question a statement like that but I guess it’s fine in that context.

Last edited:

Following thought is that it’s kind of fiction writing and not research so maybe okay. I do a lot of proof reading and would question a statement like that but I guess it’s fine in that context.
I know what you mean. With an editor’s hat on I suspect the original sentence was “I love a glossy magazine more than anyone” which works because it’s hyperbole and a commonly used phrase - everyone knows there’s no way of really knowing that. But in true overwrought style it’s been tooled to be literally more accurate but then it loses real meaning.

OR... I’m overthinking it - but that’s what happens to me when I read that style of writing. Everything is so laboured it gets bogged down and folds in on itself. Ditto “often excellent”. So sometimes mediocre then? Or are there just a few beauty editors you consider to be rubbish? Can only think it’s deliberately sticking the boot in or creating an element of doubt in the reader’s mind but not for any great reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It creates a superior, aloof and haughty tone to the writing.
It has an air of ‘why are you bothering me with these things?’

She doesn’t give these vibes off in person though - at least not when I attended an event she hosted which was ages ago. So I’m just going off my one experience and is hardly deep research

Reactions: 5
Anyone else find it hard to believe SH sat there and said nothing whilst the makeup artist applied the warm browns and pink lipgloss?
So what I understand is that the MUA esentially applied SH's standard everyday look (but tailored to look soft and pretty and radiant), when SH really wanted black brows, red lipstick and silvery cool skin to match her dress, ie Cruella de Ville?

No wonder the CELEBRITY mua thought no way love, I have a reputation to uphold and I know better than you what will look good 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It’s always OK to draw boundaries and state what is comfortable for you. But if I ran around work saying that anyone who criticises me is a wanker and should be punished and I know where they live and who they’re married to, I would face dire consequences.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
This is where I struggle to sympathise with SH. I get that she gets many many requests for recommendations, probably many without a please or thank you. Which would wind me up no end. I also get she probably gets loads of general sealioning behaviour. And I know women have a much harder time of it generally than men on twitter.

But but.... the tone is so off with her response. And she doesn’t owe anyone her time or niceness BUT why wouldn’t you just say something like ‘so many variables eg skin type, budget. Search vit c Sali on the guardian and you’ll see my columns’. OR ‘I’m currently using product x and would recommend. But search my columns on the guardian for other recs.’

I also wonder would she respond in the same tone if it was a blue ticker... :unsure:

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.