Sali Hughes #12 This is not a thread. It is not paid for, not sponsored, nor required by Sali

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I agree with BBB, having given it all of 10 seconds of thought. If I was an influencer, and got laid £10K by Charlotte Tilbury, I’d rather feel obliged to rave about her make up and say she’s the greatest person in the world. Because she’s basically paid for me to own my house for another year. So basically her makeup might have melted my face off but I’m telling people it’s an essential purchase, ethics be damned. If she ‘only’ sends me a free mascara, I’m gonna feel more inclined to be honest in my review and if I don’t rate it, I might even say so. Though admittedly, if I think Char (because I can probably call her Char at this point) will send me some limited edition bumper palette, or an entire collection of lipsticks in the future, then I might post a favourable ish review of what might have been a mediocre mascara. I do want to know a teensy bit more than #ad. I definitely want to see #ad, though.
I’m obviously not an influencer. Too beef-faced.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The trouble so far is it always just been a weak dilute of declaration.

Seriously though - by ‘over declare’ if they mean snottily pointing out everything they have paid for, down to a sandwich, then I think the point is being missed somewhat.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I agree with you, but I also see BBB point.
If influencer A got paid 10k for a mention of a new mascara and you just got a free mascara. You both need to put the same thing but the reward is quite different.
But then it’s simple really #ad -paid promotion
#ad - presssample.
#ad - imsofarupthisbrandsarseyoucantseemytoes
That's been bothering me too. If I've understood correctly - and I may not have - in both cases (free mascara only, free mascara plus £10k for recommending it) labelling the post as #ad would fully meet ASA requirements.

Doesn't that mean that every post that includes a product - except on the rare occasion when a product was bought - would be labelled #ad and the reader wouldn't know whether or not the influencer was being paid to recommend it (as opposed to being merely the recipient of a sample).

Yes, an influencer could expand it to read '#ad - paid promotion' but why would they if #ad alone satisfies ASA requirements?

Reactions: 2
That's been bothering me too. If I've understood correctly - and I may not have - in both cases (free mascara only, free mascara plus £10k for recommending it) labelling the post as #ad would fully meet ASA requirements.

Doesn't that mean that every post that includes a product - except on the rare occasion when a product was bought - would be labelled #ad and the reader wouldn't know whether or not the influencer was being paid to recommend it (as opposed to being merely the recipient of a sample).

Yes, an influencer could expand it to read '#ad - paid promotion' but why would they if #ad alone satisfies ASA requirements?
#Ad on its on with nothing else means the influencer was paid so no need to expand unless they wanted to. For anything lesser than that (eg gifted) it’s in the influencer’s best interest to clarify #Ad - gifted.

In a way it feels like a bit of a master stroke from the ASA because influencers have been bitterly complaining “it’s so complicated!!”. Well... the only people complicating it are the influencers. And now the ASA could not have made it more basic. Everything you receive/are given that you choose to share is an ad, any further info you want to give beyond that is up to you.

Reactions: 12
Hang on hang on, how is she going to manage the #presstreatment free hair cuts/extensions etc. I do hope she isn’t having a dilemma over it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
And all influencer are anti-influencers. I don't want what they're selling

Hang on hang on, how is she going to manage the #presstreatment free hair cuts/extensions etc. I do hope she isn’t having a dilemma over it
Well, she can either write #AD each time she goes for a trim, or pay for it like a regular damn person

instead of this bullshit quid pro quo

Reactions: 10
The haircuts are such a good example of why the clarification makes perfect sense. Every time she talks about her #kindlygifted haircuts it is literally an ad for the salon.

Reactions: 20
EXACTLY it is an AD for that salon and on the back of that AD people will go to that salon and spend their money. Nothing wrong with how people choose to spend their money but let’s be clear an endorsement/ mention/post on SH Instragram page is an ad and it seems the ASA agrees.

Reactions: 9
The haircuts are such a good example of why the clarification makes perfect sense. Every time she talks about her #kindlygifted haircuts it is literally an ad for the salon.
Yes, and I can understand a one-off #presstreatment. But every single time is a symbiotic relationship, ie #AD

Reactions: 6
Well they can still get free haircuts and just not post about it, if there’s no obligation to? Or.. hmm?!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
#Ad on its on with nothing else means the influencer was paid so no need to expand unless they wanted to. For anything lesser than that (eg gifted) it’s in the influencer’s best interest to clarify #Ad - gifted.

In a way it feels like a bit of a master stroke from the ASA because influencers have been bitterly complaining “it’s so complicated!!”. Well... the only people complicating it are the influencers. And now the ASA could not have made it more basic. Everything you receive/are given that you choose to share is an ad, any further info you want to give beyond that is up to you.
The new guidelines will undoubtedly help the consumer to recognise an ad - which is their laudable aim. And maybe any distinction between the degree of incentivisation (a free mascara versus £10k) is irrelevant - it's all selling.

Thanks for posting the new guidelines. It will be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Reactions: 5
Yes, and I can understand a one-off #presstreatment. But every single time is a symbiotic relationship, ie #AD
Absolutely. As is stealth-marketing that same salon’s range of curling tongs in your Guardian column without declaring your interest AT ALL.

LOOK at this tit.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Perhaps aware of my relative ineptitude with all matters follicular, readers often ask how I style my own hair, and I’m pleased to tell them, because my look (if you can even call it that) is easy for a novice to achieve.

Atrocious writing.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
The trouble so far is it always just been a weak dilute of declaration.

Seriously though - by ‘over declare’ if they mean snottily pointing out everything they have paid for, down to a sandwich, then I think the point is being missed somewhat.
:m

New thread title: Sali Hughes - A weak dilute of declaration and film critic desperation?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.