Sali Hughes #12 This is not a thread. It is not paid for, not sponsored, nor required by Sali

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
However irritating she is, I don’t think this would be a good idea. She’s repeatedly had the most brutal, suicidal depression. She’s actually quite sensible and insightful when talking about this.
Yes, fair enough. I don't doubt that she suffers from depression at all. She's still not a very likable person though.

Reactions: 6
Really Ree is a strange one because I think her site is informative - in as much as she swatches everything so you can see the colours (although this wouldn’t work for anyone with a skin tone anything other than pale white) and she also does before and afters with foundation etc. I mean it’s pretty obvious she’s sent the products as samples to try, but maybe not all of her audience realises that. I’m definitely going to listen to the Woman’s Hour episode now.
Thing is, she's always obsessed with things - her "reviews" sound like press releases.

However irritating she is, I don’t think this would be a good idea. She’s repeatedly had the most brutal, suicidal depression. She’s actually quite sensible and insightful when talking about this.
I agree, she’s been very open about depression and past alcoholism in a way intended to help others. I respect her greatly for that.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
All that Old Vumman and Redzers stuff is so, so clearly meant with such enormous love and affection. C’mon *does teacher clap hands* focus. Botox, yes?

Reactions: 3
Pictures like the latest selfie she put on IG sharing her love of a new lipstick - I am genuinely interested in the mechanics of it and how IG works for influencers. I presume there is no payment of any sort from anyone so is it just for engagement? To keep people interested in the SH 'brand'? I suppose there has to be a low level presence on the platform in between the paid and sponsored posts? With a blurring between paid/unpaid ones so the #ad ones don't stick out like a sore thumb. Having said that I did notice in comments when someone asked about her blusher she @Bobbi Brown - would this be part of the ongoing BB campaign she is actively involved in or not?
(I realise this comes across as 'Instagram for Dummies' but in all honesty the whole thing baffles me).
Wouldn’t it be lovely if people were genuine? If you saw someone recommend something on IG & it was because they genuinely liked it & thought you might too? These grabbers have ruined what was a fun & nice way of sharing photos.

Reactions: 7
Oh right it’s because she was brought up properly, nothing to do with burning potential bridges with brands and cutting off earning potential, silly me.

Also - online resources are too precious? Does she think we’re going to run out of the Internet? Classic Sali Hughes word salad.

I’ve always made a point of not writing negative reviews. My thinking is that print-space and online resources are too precious to waste on products I don’t like, especially when they often work very well for other women. Who am I to label something bad when beauty is such a subjective and diverse idea? I was brought up to believe that ‘if you can’t say something good, say nothing”, so it’s rare that I feel strongly enough to speak out.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Agreed. I find her whole *thing* really weird. Does she ever post a negative review?
Reallyree you mean? I don't think so.
To me, negative review doesn't mean slagging off a product - British Beauty Blogger posts reviews about products she doesn't like/that don't work for her and she does it in a nice a polite manner.

Reactions: 2
I’ve always made a point of not writing negative reviews. My thinking is that print-space and online resources are too precious to waste on products I don’t like, especially when they often work very well for other women. Who am I to label something bad when beauty is such a subjective and diverse idea? I was brought up to believe that ‘if you can’t say something good, say nothing”, so it’s rare that I feel strongly enough to speak out.
Equally then, who are you to label something good when beauty is such a subjective and diverse idea?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Reallyree you mean? I don't think so.
To me, negative review doesn't mean slagging off a product - British Beauty Blogger posts reviews about products she doesn't like/that don't work for her and she does it in a nice a polite manner.
I did mean ReallyRee, yes. And I totally agree about BBB.

Reactions: 1
Wouldn’t it be lovely if people were genuine? If you saw someone recommend something on IG & it was because they genuinely liked it & thought you might too? These grabbers have ruined what was a fun & nice way of sharing photos.
amen to this

Reactions: 4
Sali does like to compare herself to a film critic, so for argument's sake, imagine a reviewer who only wrote about movies they loved ... Everything else is ignored. No nuanced critiques. Just heaping praise. How helpful - or interesting - would that be?

Reactions: 17
Sali does like to compare herself to a film critic, so for argument's sake, imagine a reviewer who only wrote about movies they loved ... Everything else is ignored. No nuanced critiques. Just heaping praise. How helpful - or interesting - would that be?
Yes it is wierd. Especially if she is reviewing products she is apparently constantly asked about. About the harshest she gets is 'yes it's eyewateringly expensive so don't buy it if you can't afford it'.
It isn't even a matter of good manners - just honesty. You can be critical of something without be rude or unpleasant.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Equally then, who are you to label something good when beauty is such a subjective and diverse idea?
Exactly. Cuts both ways

It's a specious - and convenient - argument

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
In his opening speech at the BAFTA’s Graham Norton said ‘as a chat show host I’ve never seen a film I haven’t loved!’
I mean.....🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.