Russ in Cheshire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Fruitjack 's opening post on this thread makes me laugh every time.

"Infamous rear foo-foo man"

(Although I miss who I was before I knew this term existed)

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I’m blocked so I don’t know what this was in response to but if we get to a second thread this is a title nomination for sure

View attachment 1442709
Heroic effort to get this pillock to shut up, but sadly it will be in vain.

I wonder what these needy attention seeking types like him and Monroe did before social media? Letters written in green ink to the local newspaper?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Heroic effort to get this pillock to shut up, but sadly it will be in vain.

I wonder what these needy attention seeking types like him and Monroe did before social media? Letters written in green ink to the local newspaper?
In the late 90s/early 00s guys like Russ were all over forums. Especially certain comedy forums. Pre-internet they’d be the kind of bloke who’d drink alone in the pub and try to join in and completely take over the conversation you were having with friends.

Jack would have just been a mouthy annoying neighbour who would involve herself in everything.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Honest to god, I have been arguing with myself not to start reading another thread but my god I’m glad I won! This guy is just…I’m speechless. Utterly speechless.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I've never followed Rear Admiral Foo Foo (RAFF) Russ on twitter, but similar to how I became aware of JM, they were always being pushed into my feed. He sounds like he watches too much adult entertainment. 🙄 I hope his book flops, so to speak...

• Haha
Reactions: 15
More inconsistencies in this latest crock of titView attachment 1447541
Adding for the record that Russ's mum worked until 1984 (when he was 14). Her disability is surely a very sad situation, but the way he talks about it in his "I'm so working class" tweets implies she never worked at all (and also feels kind of gross and disrespectful?).

Sources:

Screenshot_20220726-195640_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220726-195803_Twitter.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Adding for the record that Russ's mum worked until 1984 (when he was 14). Her disability is surely a very sad situation, but the way he talks about it in his "I'm so working class" tweets implies she never worked at all (and also feels kind of gross and disrespectful?).

Sources:

View attachment 1448416View attachment 1448417
The “I haven’t the foggiest idea how I ended up being me” is so 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢 and disrespectful. Like calm down hun you’re a UX designer with a moderate Twitter following crowd funding £6.5k, not Steve Jobs x

Also love that he doesn’t consider the masses of domestic and child rearing labour his mum would have had to do that would have come above a luxury like sitting down to read. Especially considering her mobility issues? And what if she just dared to read after the kids had gone to bed? head.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
This is fake of course but it made me laugh. I love how so many people understand how awful he is.
9DD6BC49-0CCB-4B68-89F5-B72DB5308F43.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
Geez, a Tesla driving man who makes decidedly above the median income flexing his working class credentials. How boring.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with earning money and using it for a nice car, but just bloody own it, you're middle class. My parents were Dutch rural working class and I do all the middle class things they were not raised with (and they did not raise me with). And it's fine. No need to make a whole song and dance about it when people think your rioting joke is just dumb and boring (because it is).

Him and Jack Monroe can't take any criticism, so they have to exagerate their past or use other people's stories for their own creds.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
For the sake of posterity, here's Russ claiming that his mother was disabled when he was born:

Screenshot_20220726-225411_Twitter.jpg

And here he is answering the question of what his recent ancestors did for a living:

Screenshot_20220726-225331_Twitter.jpg

I've been trying to put my finger on why this irks me so much. I think it's two things. First, it's just gross to use his mother's disability as "proof" of his working class credentials. It actually feels kind of exploitative, not to mention irrelevant (Parkinson's disease is not tied to the class system).

Secondly, he's mentioned that his mother DID work, and stopped when she became ill. But his tweets always imply that "disabled" was her vocation in life. Now, if I think about my female ancestors, they obviously got a very tit deal - I'm sure my mum's career would have been enormously different had she been born 20 years later, and both my grannies were very intelligent women who were never able to realise their full potential, due to the society they lived in. That's incredibly sad. But on the other hand...they may not have been lawyers or surgeons, but they worked hard, they earned money, they held their heads up high. I can be proud of what they DID achieve, and I would never sneer about how tit their jobs were in order to score points on social media.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I’m sure his mum absolutely loves that he defines her by her disability rather than her abilities. I doubt it went straight from diagnosis to not working either. Parkinson’s is degenerative no? Some people maintain a good QOL after diagnosis for a good length of time. And it has absolutely zero bearing on their class.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I've been trying to put my finger on why this irks me so much. I think it's two things. First, it's just gross to use his mother's disability as "proof" of his working class credentials. It actually feels kind of exploitative, not to mention irrelevant (Parkinson's disease is not tied to the class system).

Secondly, he's mentioned that his mother DID work, and stopped when she became ill. But his tweets always imply that "disabled" was her vocation in life. Now, if I think about my female ancestors, they obviously got a very tit deal - I'm sure my mum's career would have been enormously different had she been born 20 years later, and both my grannies were very intelligent women who were never able to realise their full potential, due to the society they lived in. That's incredibly sad. But on the other hand...they may not have been lawyers or surgeons, but they worked hard, they earned money, they held their heads up high. I can be proud of what they DID achieve, and I would never sneer about how tit their jobs were in order to score points on social media.
I agree so much with all of your points. It does feel disrespectful to use his mother's disability to prop up his working class identity on Twitter. She was surely so much more than her illness, and it's not proof of the social class she or Russ belonged to (although disabled people are more likely to be low income).

I also just think...why bother? Why is it so important to prove that you're working class? It's clearly something he gets defensive about, but does it matter? If the implication is that middle class = out of touch with the lives of most people then that's not totally accurate. There are professionals with a good income who understand what it's like to struggle. Being middle-class doesn't automatically give you Rishi Sunak levels of privilege. I suppose in the context of the tweet, 'middle class' meant the joke was kind of tepid - but he can hardly argue with that. 😆

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.