Running Instagrammers #7 Hard lives of the gifted ones full sending their boomshakalakas for validation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure about all of their qualifications, but Best Athletics aren't shy of taking on people with very complex issues that inform their running. One of the coaches (I think it's Sam but I'm not totally sure) has an athlete with them who has severe mental health problems, some of them correlated to an eating disorder, and a history of chronic overtraining that makes Sarah Fit look positively lazy, running through stress fractures and worse.

It concerns me that they're willing to coach someone like that without the appropriate skills to do so. If they are certified in the correct way and I've somehow missed it then fine, but the ethics of, in some ways, endorsing disordered behaviour by reinforcing a high level of training when rest would be more constructive are fuzzy at best. I sincerely hope they aren't just willing to take on anyone and everyone willing to pay them, so long as they're going to run fast times.

It's really struck me recently with all the posts about marathon recovery and how much time the body needs to recuperate just how many insta runners do not give themselves adequate time off. A week off running? No chance - they're back at it within 48 hours. Still seem to get away with it without an injury though.
I seen so many people leaping back into training post marathon. As someone who has previously struggled with being obsessive about my running, I've learnt that this never ends well. Whether you run marathons or not, you need planned down time - to physically recover and also take a mental break too. I saw someone, who a ran a very good sub3 marathon, and one day off. ONE DAY - before going back to 7 minute mile training runs and double days. It might get results in the short term but eventually you'll body will break. It's absolutely bananas and I'd argue these people have issues around feeling the obsessive need to continually be in peak fitness (which isn't physically possible) and placing too much of their identify on running.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.